My Whole30

Khandrews

I started yesterday. I have done primal and paleo on and off since January 1. I have really changed how we eat over the past 4-5 months but I haven't entirely been consistent with it. I experience better sleep, the end of anxiety, and much more energy when I avoid sugar and dairy (i'm gluten intolerant so I don't eat gluten - as is my daughter so...we avoid that already) and when I consistently eat fat and protein i feel much better (but I hate meat--always have--so it's a challenge).

I'm also looking to lose about 20lbs I put on after my daughter was born. Yup, I didn't gain it in pregnancy (well I did but I lost that quickly) but in the two years after her birth. :(

so, here's my whole 30 -- today is actually day 2!

My difficult places are stressful days -- I eat crappy chocolate (I go to the store and buy it) -- or ice cream. Or I eventualy convince myself the chocolate chip primal banana muffins are important to my daughter's childhood and then i eat them all. Or, I just start to find ways to increase carbs to the point where I won't even be eating a protein for a meal b/c I get lazy and just don't want to cook/shop all the time!!

Help me!

all the best to those on the journey!

Thank you for your words. It's going terribly. I'm not sure what happens to me psychologically. I commit to things like this then go off the deep end in the other direction way worse than I've been in 6 months! Oppositional defiant! Frozen yogurt sundae, plus whole choc bar plus m&ms plus pancakes made w banana oh and some chips. A lot of chips. I don't even crave chips. Whoa! I kinda don't know what to do...

Khandrews,

I think what you're going through speaks to the brilliant job marketers and food scientists have done in creating foods designed to keep us in that crazy cycle. I cannot recommend Dallas and Melissa's new book highly enough. It is helpful in explaining the way our bodies and brains react to these modified tastes and the patterns we have inadvertently developed which keep the cycle alive.

Truly, the only thing to do is STOP the cycle now. Get rid of all the junk. You deserve to treat yourself to healthy eating. Write down the commitment you are making to yourself. Come up with a list of alternate activities for when you are craving the junk - talking a walk, reading a book, even brushing your teeth. Notice that those cravings will pass eventually. And when you stick to the Whole30 plan long enough - at least the full 30 days, your tastes and habits will have begun to change.

Commit to one day at a time if that's what it takes. You can do this! and you will be glad you did.

Thanks for sharing. I'll look into getting the book. I appreciate the support! I'm a little better now. I just got off my back and didn't make a big deal about it and I feel way less like "OH MY GOSH DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO EAT! I'LL EAT WHATEVER I WANT, DARN IT!" and much more like -- just try this. see what happens... :) whew! that was frightening few days!

So it went well. Breakfast: eggs and greens w avacado. Lunch coconut chicken. Dinner chicken and veg stir fry.

I felt hungry betw meals but not dying starving hungry. No cravings. Drank iced herbal tea or water. Very clear headed, happy grounded. Profound difference.

Keep it up! Once you get over the hump of about the first week you won't even be thinking about it anymore. You'll lose track of what day you're on. And when you're stressed, if you really feel like you need some sort of food to take the edge off a bit, healthy fat is the way to go. It fills you up, nourishes you, and makes you feel a lot better. Fat is, and always has been, our friend. Time to get reacquainted! (Coconut oil is especially amicable. ;) )

Day 4!

B. scrambled eggs, greens cooked w/ onions and garlic -- I LOVE greens!!! LOVE THEM! I really feel my deep craving for them. This was swiss chard or something from our CSA mix.

Lunch, Salad w/ chicken (coconut crusted chicken left overs over green salad)

Dinner salad w/ chicken (slow cooked chicken w/ salsa over salad)

We did make ice cream out of coconut milk - no sugars just canned coconut milk, eggs, vanilla and black raspberries. I'm guessing this is out.... I did eat some.

All and all things are going well. I had to make an agreement between me and God to get me to actually follow through on this and not just cave as usual and drive to the store for chocolate. So, for now, I am on it! The sugar cravings are still coming up mentally--like anytime I'm in the house I'm used to figuring out what my next sugar or chocolate hit is going to be... at first I was eating some coconut oil and almond butter to get through this and now -- I'm just noticing the habit idea come up in my head and no interest in actually eating anything. WOW!

I was having trouble sleeping at first -- lots of energy mentally. I am noticing my legs are getting tired climbing stairs and that doesn't usually happen -- like serious dead leg feeling just going up stairs- as if I just didn't eat right -- hoping this passes. I am more mentally awake feeling. Happier. And last night I was able to sleep great. though I woke early and didn't go back to sleep -- not all bad.

Soooo happy this is day four! I'm doing this! :)

Sounds like you're in a much healthier state of mind this time around! Your meals look a little low carb. I'm guessing some sweet potato and/or butternut squash would be a helpful addition for body, mind and spirit.

Keep up the good work! and keep us posted.

So today

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, smoothie: strawberries, 1/2 banana, coconut milk (canned), 1/4 avacado, cocoa powder

Lunch: chicken breast, olives and pistachios

Dinner: Chicken breast, broccoli w/ coconut oil

Snack: I made chocolate banana muffins for my daughter (we call them cupcakes) -- out of 6 eggs, 1/2 C coc flour, and bananas for sweetner, olive oil and baking soda. I ate 2 today. this isn't good but usually I would eat like 4 or more and not eat meals etc. so I see that I have these things in the house and haven't devoured them as a huge win!

I'm burnt out on veggies -- eating them three times a day a lot this week. I am almost out. I like to eat them...just can be a pain to prepare and chew and digest. :) I know, that's why I need to eat them! :)

Archived