Melody After30

melody

So I still have 2 days left in my Whole30, but I have a question: I know that you're supposed to reintroduce stuff slowly and in groups, but what if you don't plan to reincorporate something right away?

I'm allergic to dairy (it makes me congested), which I knew going into this. I also know that sometime this year I most likely will eat it again, but I don't want to eat it just yet.

I'm highly sensitive to gluten and was not eating it prior to my Whole30, and do not plan on any attempts to reintroduce it anytime soon, if ever again.

I do plain on eating some lentils, rice, miso, chocolate, peanuts, etc. Is it okay that I'm skipping over dairy and gluten for now and is there an order that I should reintroduce everything else?

Thanks!

Melody, there is no need to reintro anything that you have no intention of letting back into your life. For me it was beans. I like them, but I don't think they are a food that benefits me. I rarely eat gluten or dairy, but I did reintro them because I figured they would be something I would have very occasionally.

Thanks slw600, I guess the question I'm trying to figure out is:

1. what order should I reintroduce the things that I do plan to eat again and

2. Since I will be reintroducing dairy at some point again, is it okay that it's not the first thing I reintroduce but rather the last (i.e., probably sometime within the next few months but want to try and hold off as long as I can)? Or since I will be having it occasionally should I just plan to eat some on Friday, already knowing how it effects me?

I don't think it matters which order you do it in and no rush to try dairy until you want to. However, the nice thing about at least trying it now is that you will have eaten perfectly clean for at least 2 days (or 30 if you try dairy first) so you will have a real good barometer of how it affects you. I think that really is up to you.

Day 31 -

Clean meals but I had a dark chocolate sunbutter cup, which when reading the ingredients I realized that it has a little bit of milk powder in it. I think I'm fine with it in small doses, so this will be a good re-intro test. I took the time to savor it. I found the sunflower butter middle to be too sweet. I think I'd like it better if it had an unsweetened middle. Maybe I'll try making my own with 85% cocoa.

But all-in-all, a total of 14grams of sugar, so not too terrible for a special treat. My mouth felt sour afterwards & I had to go brush my teeth. One thing I really liked about Whole30 is that my teeth always feel clean.

DAY 32

I ate fully compliant today.

Breakfast- left over salad (red leaf lettuce, tomato, avocado, cherries, macadamia nuts) and leftover navrattan korma with cauliflower rice

Lunch -2 spicy cilantro chicken sausages, more salad

Tea-met a friend and almost had a hot chocolate but opted for herbal tea instead. It was lose-leaf and really good. They had oranges there to make fresh squeezed oj and I asked if I could just buy an orange instead. It was a pain to peel but really yummy & juicy.

Dinner-handful of cherries, small handful of marcona almonds, 1 date, chicken thigh cooked with raspberry jam, coconut, slivered almonds, and lemon juice, more salad topped with pomegranate seeds.

Considered having a dark chocolate honey mint (unsweetened chocolate around mint-flavored honey. Like a healthier version of a peppermint patty) but decided that I don't want to be eating chocolate everyday now, so it waits for tomorrow.

Day 33

Breakfast- 3 eggs, scrambled with the last of the salad I made the other day and some cherries.

Lunch-The last of the navrattran korma & cauliflower rice, 2 carrots cut into sticks & almond butter-jam dip, 2 TJs honey mints (unsweetened chocolate, honey, peppermint oil)

Dinner-cherries, turkey breast, green beans, orange. I meant to make mashed cauliflower but added too much coconut milk so it turned out to be a sauce that I poured over the green beans and turkey. I also added 1 glove of fresh garlic to the cauliflower. THAT was a bad idea. Such an intense garlic flavor that I had trouble eating it. 1 more honey-mint right after to help clear the horribly overwhelming garlic taste.

Wanted to have yet another chocolate but decided that would be a bad idea since moderation is my goal. Aside from the mess with the mashed cauliflower it was a pretty good food day. :-)

Day 34

Ate clean meals, but had some amazing sweet-potato chocolate truffles (along with a couple other chocolate things...) in the afternoon. Ate way less chocolate than old me, but way too much for new me. Felt less than great & not really hungry for dinner.

Bought tilapia to make for the first time but wasn't up for it. Instead had leftover turkey for dinner. Needed to eat more veg. Need to buy some green stuff, only thing left in the house are green beans. Oh wait. I also bought bok choy. Tomorrow's going to be a possibly stressful workday, so need to plan ahead. Okay, maybe I'll make what should have been dinner for breakfast tomorrow!

Cooked the tilapia for breakfast in coconut oil. Pan fried with lemon pepper. It was really good! Had it along with a big head of bok choy (can't believe I ate the whole thing!) that I steamed and a temple orange.

Brought a cashew LARA bar with me to work, but figured they would have *something* I could eat at lunch (they were providing), and worse case I was supposed be out by 3pm...alas, it was pasta salad, gross looking coleslaw and hoagies. Even the trail mix (planters) had a list of ingredients so long that I didn't bother reading it all! I did find a snack mix that had fresh apple slices in it. We were there much later than 3, but I didn't really feel too hungry and resisted the urge to even look at the chocolates & junk they had.

Made eggplant with tomato sauce for dinner, really good though lacking in protein. Ha--I just did a search to find out how much protein eggplants have to discover that they're technically fruit....so much for getting veggies on my plate for dinner! :wacko:

Had a few cherries, a couple fresh cranberries, and about 6 pistachios. Had the last 2 dark chocolate sweet potato truffles. Eating only them (and not lots of other chocolate too) was better route than yesterday, though full temperance would have had me not eat any today....though old me probably would have downed all four of the yesterday and eaten chocolate all day long today. Showing some restraint for sure, but still working on that middle ground.

Bought a bunch of frozen fish this week to try cooking up. Also bought some more bok choy!

Continuing to eat Whole30 approved meals for the most part but been eating sweets just a bit more than I should. Probably should eat fully clean few a days again. Tried mahi mahi today. Not really a fan. But can't wait for next time I make tilapia again!

Breakfast- mahi mahi cooked in coconut oil with crushed macadamia nuts & lemon juice, temple orange, bok choy

Lunch- ate out. Scrambled eggs with chives & other spices, bacon, potatos, a little bit of ketchup

Mid-afternoon meeting- Lemon kombucha. And....sweet & sara vegan rocky road (marshmallows & almonds in dark chocolate) & 2 honey chocolate mints.

Dinner-Huge bunch of kale cooked with 1 whole tomato, about 1 tbs of onion & 2 spicy Italian chicken sausages, 2 carrots with almond-butter & raspberry jam dip.

4 Trader Joe's GF chocolate chip cookies & a cup of tea

mouth feels a bit bitter from the sugar. Have been slightly better about getting to bed earlier and actually woke up hungry today!!

I haven't found that balance yet with sweets, but realizing that it's when I am at the store that I need to have the most resolve.....

I had corn chips with dinner the other day and they tasted gross and almost kind of stale/rancid. The date code was still good on them. Wondering if they always tasted this way...didn't eat very many and not sure that I will want to eat the rest. They left an unpleasant aftertaste--I think it was the safflower oil.

Also, I have had this tiny growth--mole like thing--that's been on my armpit since I was a teenager... I cut the skin shaving & it grew. The other day it started hurting, painful. Today it doesn't hurt but it's turned a deep purple, filled with blood. And it's gotten smaller. It looks like it might be in the process of getting ready to fall off?! Not sure if there's a connection, but seems like there must be.

But is it the eating healthy or the re-intro...?

I made a jicama porridge today that's really good. (Jicama chopped and then "riced" in the vitamix, 1 cup coconut milk, 1 cup water, a few big dashes of pumpkin pie spice & 1 chopped date. Simmer for hours).

Archived