Ariel's Whole25

sweetpotato

Wow, this forum is amazing! Somehow, in the year and a half that I've been visiting this site, I never came to the forum. I did my first whole30 way back in December of 2010, and I loved it, but since then I've been gradually sliding further and further away from where I want to be. So I'm back! This time, I'm doing it with a buddy, which I have found incredibly, incredibly helpful so far. She just finished a whole30 and has a vacation planned for twenty-six days after we started, so we're calling this our whole25. I am going to continue for the thirty days, but having someone by my side as I do this is so immeasurably helpful that I am happy to go along with the whole25 moniker... which has made it kind of fun, and personal, too, since we're doing everything else exactly by the book!

I'm on day four and going strong but I LOVE the idea of being accountable (which is why I am so happy to be doing this with a friend) so am going to posts my food here. I'm also extremely new to cooking so am trying to branch out and learn new things.

So today....

Breakfast: Three eggs scrambled in macadamia nut oil (love the stuff, as you'll see...) and steamed asparagus.

Lunch: Beef patty cooked in macadamia nut oil and steamed brussels sprouts and broccoli, topped with ghee.

Dinner: Roasted (in macadamia nut oil of course) chicken thighs and lots of roasted veggies (squash, peppers, onions) (I just learned about roasting like two days ago and it has changed my life)

Snacks throughout the day: almond butter, grapes, blueberries, more almond butter.... :)

Confession: I am thirty years old and didn't know until TODAY that roasted butternut squash tastes like delicious candy.

I was a late bloomer in the squash department too! Amazing stuff, so sorry I missed out on it for YEARS of my life! I love to roast my veggies and meats but I live in Colorado and I don't have a/c in my home so for about 4 - 5 weeks in the summer if I'm going to roast or bake anything I have to get up and do it at 5am...good thing the sun comes up around that time here!

Welcome back and good luck on your Whole 25...I'm starting my Whole 30 tomorrow... so I'll be right here with you!

I love your signature line, Andrea! I hope your day one is off to a great start.

Okay I have eaten a lot already today....

Breakfast: beef burger

Lunch: roasted chicken and veggies and steamed broccoli

Snacks: steamed asparagus, pear, banana, toasted almonds and coconut

Finished off the day with

Dinner: Three eggs with onion and avocado, brussels sprouts with ghee, a few roasted veggies... and several spoonfuls of almond butter.

The macadamia nut oil I buy is expensive, but Amazon usually has a pretty amazing deal for three bottles that in my opinion makes it very much worth while: http://www.amazon.com/Brookfarm-Natural-Macadamia-8-5-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B00250UKUS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1340191141&sr=8-6&keywords=macadamia+nut+oil

Plus, it's free shipping. So more expensive than olive oil for sure but not so much more than a good coconut oil, I believe. And it's delicious. I highly recommend! (Sometimes you have to wait a bit for Amazon to actually ship the product, but it's worth wait.)

To me, experiments are things that are probably pretty basic to other people. :) I have just never spent any time in a kitchen before so I'm still learning the basics like steaming and roasting. And since I just found out about those, I just know there are more nuggets of deliciousness awaiting my discovery.

Breakfast: eggs and black coffee

Well.... okay, so I just PIGGED OUT on nuts and nut butter, which is something I've always had a problem with but hadn't happened yet this Whole25, so... my new plan is to cut out nuts.

breakfast: eggs and asparagus

lunch: roasted veggies, grilled chicken, steamed brussels sprouts with ghee

snack: blueberries, raspberries

dinner: cod, steamed broccoli, ghee

disaster: nuts nuts nuts and more nuts

This was also my first time making cod, and it came out well, I thought, until I had the third bite and then it was just... so... boring. I put salt and pepper and garlic powder on it. It definitely needed something else. Something delicious. Because, blech.

Weekends can be tough for me to stay on track so I will be staying close to the boards....

Breakfast: Eggs with onion and asparagus.

Went to the farmers market and picked up some goodies like ground beef and eggs and blueberries. :)

i feel like i'm only halfway on the wagon at this point. i'm still eating really close to a whole 30 but i'm really, really disappointed with myself because i've been compulsively eating nuts like nobody's business. i don't want to, and i am, so it seems that i'm not doing this right. plus, i had some peanuts, which is obviously not allowed and i know it's not allowed and i did it anyway. i think what i'm going to do is try to finish this whole 25, take a day or two off, and then start a new whole 30 and try to get it right.

i also spent some time today with a friend trying to figure out why i've been doing this, and am wondering if maybe i'm not eating enough and that's why i'm getting hungry? i dont know. i eat a lot, i think, but since a lot of that is like steamed broccoli and the like, maybe it doesn't add up to the number of calories i need? i dont know. i think it's worth experimenting with--upping my protein and fat intake at meals, that is.

I used to have the same problem with the nuts (and fruit too), so with my last whole 30 I cut them out completely after day5. I can now eat nuts without going crazy on them. Im not tempted at all anymore. For me it was more an emotional eating habbit. But I still won't keep almond butter in the house just in case ;)

I read that you love roasted butternut squash, me too! It's amazing. Have you tried acorn squash too? I slice it thin, toss it in coconut oil, s&p and roast till the edges start turning golden brown... YUMMM

courtney that helped me so much... i kept thinking what you said, just cut them out completely and then maybe later i can have them liek a normal person. but then i totally blew it tonight. part of the problem is i have roommates, so cant control the nuts situation here. and i started eating them (even though i told myself if i wanted more food, i could make another burger!) and then ate them and ate them... and then ate a few slivers of the apple crumble thing one of them left on the table for the other one. so i had sugar for the first time since i started, too. so tomorrow is day one for sure.

i have not tried acorn squash... it sounds right up my alley, though, and ill be on the lookout for some.

well, melissa's posts on eating disordered peeps really spoke to me. after i had that bit of sugar yesterday--i really went to town. i wont get into the gory details, but it made sense in my head to make the "slip" worth my while. today i'm back on. but i'm going to bookmark this post: http://whole9life.com/2012/04/sometimes-it-is-hard/ so that i can try to remember that if i have an extra handful of nuts--i dont have to keep going down that path.

Archived