Day 13 - A Rough Weekend

mountainjillian

Well, my husband and I are on Day 13 and are happy to say we stayed on track despite a very challenging weekend. We were more social this weekend than we were our first weekend on the Whole 30, including going snowboarding with some friends and also a birthday happy hour. While we planned ahead, brought our own snacks and lunch to the mountain (and some pistachio nuts to munch on at happy hour), we felt really bummed and quite frankly, a little left out to not be enjoying food and drinks with our friends. I swear, I have never wanted a beer so bad in my entire life!

I think this bummed out feeling affected how we felt about our meals for the whole weekend: nothing tasted good to us for a couple of days. We were just - bored, I think. We even tried the famous Melissa Joulwan's paleo pad thai and we were still feeling crummy and sad! Thankfully, I found this recipe that I made last night, and it worked some comfort food magic on me. I am feeling in better spirits now that I am back in my "weekday swing." We also made a trip to Natural Grocers and Whole Foods, found some compliant bacon, chorizo, and yummy sounding sausages we are excited to try, so hopefully we will get pumped again to finish strong. Any ideas out there for cheering up and getting yourself out of a "Whole 30 Slump?" I'd love to hear them!

I wonder if you were just running on empty. Snowboarding burns alot of energy, and I know if I'm not fueling myself correctly, I hit a slump like you and your hubby did this weekend. I liberally used nuts during my Whole30 and realized that a) it was a stop-gap for me because I hadn't eaten enough at the meal before, and B) they bloat me up and affect my mood almost as much as grains do. Something I would have never picked up on if I hadn't taken grains completely out of my diet.

My non-scientific opinion is make sure you're getting your healthy fats at every meal, especially in the 24 hours post-strenuous exercise and see if your mood and excitement improve. I hit a similar rough patch about week 2, so I'd chalk it up to the fact that you're doing the challenge correctly, and the best is right around the corner!

Thanks for the encouragement, Michelle! I do wonder if our activity level had something to do with our slump, as that was the most active we've been since starting the program. And myself as a Type 1 diabetic, I had to be eating raisins constantly through the day to keep my blood sugar up, and was not getting consistent protien - also probably really led to the mood swings. My husband just has a very ferocious sugar dragon, and I think he has been mourning the loss of specific foods more than me, so that was his deal for sure! We were both such grumpy butts this whole weekend! :wacko:

If you have the time, making some jerky to have on hand to carry around as snacks is something that has been really helpful for me and my husband. It's kind of time intensive, but most of it's "stuff in the oven" time not actual prep time.

Archived