Hot Flashes

themomur

I have been going through menopause for several years now, but in the last few years the hot flashes have decreased. During my Whole 30 (Day 8 today) the hot flashes have gotten MUCH worse. They are happening many times a day and are very intense. The night sweats are happening several times a night and are so bad I frequently have to change my pjs. I'm not drinking any alcohol and I've cut back on my caffeine. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

I'll preface this by saying I'm not menopausal, but I've read up a lot on hormones. In short, hot flashes are caused by a drop in estrogen. The body recognizes that drop, freaks out, releases norepinephrine, and the lovely menopause symptoms result, including hot flashes.

It's also my understanding that when it comes to hormonal imbalances, a SAD typically promotes higher estrogen levels, which results in an estrogen/progesterone imbalance. One might deduce that as you change your diet, your estrogen levels drop in their effort to get to a level that's more in balance. Your body recognizes the drop and voila - more hot flashes for a bit until things level out. Hormones are all relative - they respond to the peaks and valleys, so once there's no more drop because your hormones have leveled out, hot flashes go away.

I'm making some assumptions here, but hopefully, that helps explain it a bit more! I'm sure there are much better sources out there.

Archived