Gestational diabetes / glucose testing

Just friendly advice coming from a mother of 4... If your test is in the morning, I wouldn't eat breakfast before it, even though they say it is not a fasting test. Anything you eat will affect the results. During three of my pregnancies, I had my usual two eggs, one cup of coffee, and veg (strangely, that was always my breakfast, even pre-Whole30) for breakfast and then took the test, and for all three, I was told that I might have GD and should come back for the 3 hour test...which was always not just normal, but exceptional. No GD.. For the fourth, I took the test fasting and did not have to go back for the drag of a three hour test. I don't completely understand the science behind this but have friends with similar experiences. Good luck, and happy baby!

• 2 weeks later...

You can decline the test you know. I just had baby # 4 and have never done the Glucose tolerance test. Just the thought of drinking that beverage they give you was enough to make me say no for the first one, and then after that I figured what's the point, I know my blood sugar is fine. Of course if you think you might have issues go for it, but if you're eating this way I really don't see the point :)

You know, that is a really good point and advice I wish I'd taken, because despite having NO risk factors for GD, I had the three hour test THREE TIMES just because my doctor thought it was a good idea? Ridiculous. I wish I'd had the gumption then to stand up for what I knew was best for my health and my baby's (and a huge glucose drink isn't good for anybody), but I kept being threatened with a baby that was "too big." Too big? A quote from a famous OB goes something like, "when it comes to women's childbearing hips, there is 'big enough' and there is 'you could fit a horse through there'." I am petite and slim-hipped and still had a 9+ lb baby boy (after the one glucose test that did NOT indicate GD to begin with) with no trouble.

So yeah. Take Marie's advice. I agree with her and not me. :-)

I declined the test and had gestational diabetes my first pregnancy, but have since then completely revamped my diet. I have been monitoring my blood sugars with a glucose meter once a week, and lately they've started to rise (I'm 35 weeks) so I'm now dialing in my nutrition closer to a Whole 30. The frustrating part is that my acupuncturist has recommended whole grains and full-fat dairy and slow carbs like beans. Uh, I don't eat any of that? Sigh.

Archived