Whole30 Food Log

lwfreed

Day 1 - I did it!

Getting back on the wagon of eating real foods is always so hard after a slip up involving lots of sugar and processed carbs :( But with one day in my back pocket, I'm determined to stay committed for (at least!) 29 more days, step-by-step, one meal at a time.

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast - decaf coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon, 1/2 avocado, scrambled eggs with chicken sausage, salsa

Lunch - salad with mixed greens, olive oil, asparagus, olives, and two turkey/egg cups http://www.fitsugar.com/Baked-Eggs-Ham-Cups-21616192

Dinner - mixed vegetables drizzled with olive oil, homemade chili (grass-fed beef, tomato sauce, carrots, onions, celery), coconut oil with cocoa powder*

*Would this not be allowed and I should start over tomorrow? I forgot I had it in my fridge - I mixed melted coconut oil with a tablespoon of cocoa powder and put it in the fridge to harden if I'm ravenous in-between meals. Too close to chocolate and not promoting a healthy psychiological response??

I'm planning on grocery shopping before the week is over to stock my fridge with pre-cut veggies, hard boiled eggs, and lots of salad ingredients! :)

• Moderators

You don't have to start over from eating your coconut oil/cocoa powder mix, but it is not a good choice. You should be eating food, not "ingredients." It seems you added this to your meal as a dessert too, which is likely to tease any sugar dragon you have.

Regarding snack times between meals... The best snack is a mini-meal of protein, fat, and veggies. Olives make a good quick snack.

I am concerned that you are not eating enough protein. You don't mention how many eggs you scramble at breakfast, but you mention just 2 at lunch. The turkey cup recipe you shared shows there was little turkey in the meal and 2 eggs is not nearly enough protein. When you eat enough at meals, you rarely need to snack. Feeling a need to snack is often a good sign you are not eating enough at meals.

Thanks for the tips!! I had two scrambled eggs with breakfast and the turkey cups each had a thick slice, but I can definitely add more & hopefully won't feel the urge to snack in the afternoons. I'll work on upping my protein, and cut out anything that could trick my body into thinking it was getting dessert :)

Day 2 Down! I've taken Tom Denham's advice for my dinner and really amped up the protein :)

Today's food looked like this:

Breakfast - green tea with lemon juice, banana, one hard boiled egg - I wasn't feeling hungry and my stomach was bloated so I had a glass of water with chia seeds as well

Lunch - salad with mixed greens, olive oil, asparagus, olives and TWO portions of pork loin ;)

Post-Workout Meal - handful of olives, hot water with lemon juice and apple cider vinegar

Dinner - whole 12 oz can of chicken breast, broccoli, and cauliflower, in a coconut curry sauce (chicken broth, coconut milk, cumin, garlic, cayenne pepper)

I'm feeling great so far - no cravings and very full all day now that I'm following the meal planning guidelines more closely. Ready for the cravings to hit soon ... I'll be having lots of tea and brushing my teeth often to fight the urge!

Day 3 is almost over and I'm counting down the hours until I can go to bed. So sleepy!

I woke up again this morning with no appetite (very weird for me), and had to leave for class before I felt as if I could eat so I just grabbed a banana to take with me - I should have had hard boiled eggs or something with protein and not so much sugar (now I know what to plan ahead for!)

Breakfast - green tea with maca powder, lots of water, a few hours after waking I had the banana (which was about the size of two :mellow: )

Lunch - black decaf coffee (I hoped it would trick my body into thinking it was getting some caffeine and help me wake up - no such luck), leftover chicken and broccoli/cauliflower curry with coconut milk, granny smith and almond butter - I think being so tired made this last addition more appealing than it really was; still need to avoid fruits, especially two in one day!

Dinner - baked sweet potato (YUM), can of tuna and lots of homemade salsa, then before bed - hot water with apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and spices :P

Breakfast will be on the go again tomorrow, but for lunch I'll be meeting my mom after an appointment in Atlanta :D Can't wait to share a great Whole30 approved meal together!

Day 4 - Today was the day I got really mad at myself for ever stopping my first Whole30 attempt. These cravings probably wouldn't be so bad if I had just stuck with it - But all the more motivation to see it through this time!

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs with sweet potato hash :P and coffee with coconut milk

Lunch - spinach salad topped with grilled chicken, olives, 1 hard boiled egg, walnuts, balsamic vinegar, and carrots with almond butter on the side - I'm officially out of nuts and nut butters so my goal is to eliminate them along with no more than 1 piece of fruit per day, as part of a fat and protein-full meal

Dinner - sauteed onions with flounder, spinach salad with pepitas, cashews, and granny smith apple

I'm planning on having some ACV and lemon juice "tea" before bed when I start to think of all the chewy, crunchy, chocolatey, sugary treats my body THINKS I need ;) And then heading to bed early to avoid any temptation to get my hands on some!

Tomorrow is FRIDAY! The weekend is almost here and I can't wait to spend my free time: in the kitchen (cooking healthy meals for the week), stretching (lots!), and taking a little more "me time" that I don't have during weekdays :)

Day 5!

Today I realized that my first attempt at the Whole30 program would have finished before my spring break (we're going to Cancun!) started. Now that I have had to restart, I'll only be on day 20-ish when we leave for our six-day five-night trip :huh: Still not sure how that's going to work out with adhering to the plan - It's all inclusive, so I'll have to check what the restaurants offer and what I am allowed to pack on my own. Even if I end up having a few drinks while in Mexico, I will stick to the program until then, and I'm determined to avoid grains and sugar completely. So, on to what I ate today:

Brunch - (finally got to sleep in!) coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon :P , mixed greens with two fried eggs, shaved turkey breast, 1/2 an avocado, carrots - adding more protein was not only a huge improvement in taste, but I was so satisfied after my meal!

Post-workout meal/snack - (while studying at Starbucks) hot vanilla tea, turkey breast, and I also had one of their packets of almonds (2oz I think?)

Dinner - baked sweet potato and homemade chili (with onion, celery, and carrots!) topped with 1/2 avocado

Got some spaghetti squash and fresh kale from the grocery store today and can't wait to whip up some yummy meals this week! Tomorrow I'll be on the road again for a funeral where lunch is provided for the family before - I'm planning on having a hearty breakfast to allow me the option to graze on whatever vegetables & protein I can find at the lunch before heading back home for a homemade dinner :)

Day 6 - It was crazy - so much time on the road, lots of family catch-up, and really limited food options.

This morning when I woke up I was oddly dehydrated and after I had a few glasses of water, I still wasn't hungry but decided to have breakfast before getting on the road so I wouldn't be stranded and ravenous with only gas stations to stop inside.

Breakfast - (this is weird ... but it was what I was really craving out of all the food in my fridge :huh: ) I had coffee with coconut milk, carrot sticks, and homemade pesto made with pine nuts - I know, really weird!

Lunch - fried chicken (I took the skin off, and ate only the meat, but still my stomach felt queasy in the hours that followed lunch), pre-made salad with walnuts and strawberries (that I took a few bites of before spotting some cheese mixed in with the lettuce), green beans mixed with lima beans (tried to just pick out the green beans), and a hard boiled egg

Dinner - (traveling always zaps my appetite - probably the ONLY thing that makes me feel like not eating - but once I got back home and started to relax, I got hungry quickly) huge pan of sauteed kale with olive oil, 1/2 avocado, 2 chicken sausages and some garlic stuffed olives :P

Tomorrow is another day of getting up early and being on the run (I forgot to get more eggs when I grocery shopped :o) so I'll have to get creative for breakfast!

I've made it to Day 9 a second time and I can't WAIT to wake up tomorrow knowing I beat my record and have reached Day 10 :)

I haven't posted my food the last few days because honestly, I haven't been eating 3 meals a day, as prescribed by the program. HOWEVER, I am more than proud to say that I have stuck within the food guidelines and though that involved lots of snacking yesterday -_- , with my history of binging, purging, obsessing, and always living in one of two extremes, this is an accomplishment.

I have been stressed like crazy with school, work, life, and more! and being able to control myself to not reach for carbs/sugar/processed foods is something that I could not have done without this forum to turn to and read others' struggles and victories.

I have mentioned that I will be going on my last spring break around day 20 something of this program but am planning on holding as tight to this lifestyle as possible while I'm there, but definitely starting the days over at my return. I hope that by this point I will be able to stick to not only the food choices of the plan, but also the behavior around food - Once I train my body to eat healthy whole foods without added chemicals, sweeteners, or other toxins, I'm going to work on training my mind to not crave the feeling of being full and the comfort of engaging in the routine of eating mindlessly, just to eat!

I think that by splitting up the Whole30 not only into days, but into attempts at the program where I am able to complete more each try is going to help me tremendously as I combat both physical and mental forces that are trying to keep me unhealthy.

Breakfast - Today it was only decaf coffee with coconut milk since I snacked last night on turkey and carrots .... but SO much better than the binge I would have had only a few days ago :D

Lunch - I had a big bowl of spaghetti squash with olive oil, chicken sausage, a whole avocado, and a granny smith apple sprinkled with cinnamon

Dinner - (planning on having) a huge bowl of mixed cruciferous veggies, tomato sauce, ground beef

And now, I'm enjoying a yummy cup of tea with ACV, lemon juice, cinnamon, and chia seeds! (they are SO good mixed in!)

Again, I forgot to post yesterday's meals!

Day TEN looked like this:

Breakfast - sweet potato with cinnamon and two fried eggs, green tea

Lunch - spaghetti squash with flax meal, tomato sauce, ground beef, and a granny smith apple

Dinner - sauteed kale, hearts of palm, coconut milk curry sauce, tuna, and cacao nibs

Today was actually pretty similar since I had leftovers and did all that pre-cooking this weekend ...

Breakfast - coffee (NOT decaf, and so wonderful) with coconut milk, sweet potato with cinnamon, two fried eggs

Lunch - same spaghetti squash meal with granny smith slices

Post-workout snack - rutabaga/jicama slices and some olives

Dinner - sauteed kale, tuna, whole avocado

I finally have more breakfast-type foods to make with eggs, but I've been enjoying my sweet potato combo so much I may have to make a trip to the grocery store just to get a few more!

Dinner -

• 3 weeks later...

Finally back from my trip! But not without catching Montezuma's Revenge on the last day - serious digestion problems for the last 4 days :( Hoping they'll self-resolve soon!

I'm really looking forward to completing the Whole 30 in FULL this time thru. :) A few modifications I'm making: First off, I won't be buying nuts or almond butter & will eat them in acceptable serving sizes ONLY, as part of a healthy meal; and secondly, no more trail mix! Cacao nibs, coconut flakes, and dried fruit (even without sugar!) are my gateway drug to feed both my sugar dragon as well as my desire to binge & eat mindlessly.

Day 1 is down and somehow, all my tummy troubles are helping to motivate me even more to follow the plan as detailed to cure myself of future ailments & strengthen my system overall.

Breakfast = green tea, a few slices of good butter, two fried eggs over a wilted spinach salad (not as much protein as I'd usually eat but was still having waves of nausea this morning)

Lunch = huge salad with spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, spices, two chicken sausages, artichoke hearts, and hot sauce that I then covered in olive oil

Dinner = I was really craving butter :huh: ?? So I had a slice of that with a plate of olives stuffed with garlic and roasted red peppers, then a bowl of homemade chili with onions, carrots & celery :P

Already pre-made my lunch for tomorrow & can't wait to wake up hungry for a big yummy breakfast before work!

Breakfast = still not hungry :angry:and couldn't stomach any liquid other than water; a few hours after waking I had 2 baby sweet potatoes with cinnamon & felt much better

Lunch = spinach salad with can of wild Alaskan salmon, tomatoes, mushrooms and hot sauce with olive oil and a few almonds on top

Dinner = huge plate of green beans with olive oil, olives stuffed with garlic, and chicken breast in spices

I've noticed that I'm feeling better as I eat even though I feel nauseous up until my first meal - I've upped my probiotics to two per day and am making a conscious effort to eat them in between meals so they will hopefully work well, fast ;) Here's to day 3 tomorrow!

Breakfast = sweet potato with cinnamon and two fried eggs, coffee

Lunch = spinach salad with olive oil, green beans with butter, olives stuffed with garlic, and grilled chicken

Dinner = large sweet potato (okay to have this many sweet potatoes in one day?), butter, granny smith apple, raw spinach, balsamic vinegar with olive oil, artichokes, and almonds/pecans on top

Breakfast = granny smith apple, coffee with cinnamon

Lunch = homemade chili with carrots & celery, 1/2 avocado

Dinner = finally hungry! 3 cups of mixed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots) cooked in coconut oil, 1 cup of sauteed mushrooms and onions, salmon patty, few tablespoons of almond butter and coconut oil

Today was HARD. I've been sick (and dehydrated), haven't been exercising, and have had zero school work so have been bored all week. Basically a recipe to binge! Again, today, and by today, I mean tonight, was HARD. BUT I DID NOT BINGE! I did stray from my goal of avoiding nut butters, and did eat an absurd amount of vegetables, but thankfully I have now learned that it is okay to not go to the gym when you are sick or not feeling well - so didn't!

In the past, not only would I have gone to the gym (probably killed myself at a spin class or even more likely, done two classes back to back), but would have then "rewarded" myself by stopping by a gas station or the local Fresh Market to buy a huge bag of trail mix filled with sugary dried fruit pieces and chocolate covered nuts, or even worse, another "wanna be healthy" food like vegetable "chips" cooked in canola oil, or even resort to eating nut butter straight out the container until it was gone. And these are all GOOD options compared to what I used to do before becoming exposed to Paleo and attempting Whole 30.

To overcome this particular binging urge, I prayed. I went for a walk. I stretched while listening to a hypnosis tape on ending binge eating and bulimia. I massaged my hands and feet. I ate coconut oil. I drank a ton of water. And on any other occasion, I would have picked completing an Iron Man with no prior training over dealing with this situation again. But I am taking this one as a victory and next time, hopefully, it will be even easier to not binge, and not purge, and be a little bit closer to normal :D

Done with Day 6 and finally on the road to recovery from my stomach bug!

Didn't post anything from yesterday since I only had a ton of water, some coconut water, and bone broth until night when I tried a little sweet potatoes and other easily digested foods. Unfortunately, I've had to start a round of antibiotics (2x day for a week) and while I know this may not technically count as completing a Whole 30 when I'm on them, I've resolved to stick to the plan for the 30 days and then possibly do another afterwards (without any antibiotics!) ;)

Nausea is significantly better and I am feeling hydrated enough that I did a little yoga this evening - LOVE how loose and stretched my muscles feel after an hour on the mat! I also had a real meal for dinner tonight (not the best sick food, but I was finally hungry and really craving fresh veggies ... hopefully I won't regret this later tonight with a still healing tummy!

Dinner = spinach salad with wild salmon burger, steamed mushrooms, 1/2 an avocado, covered in fresh salsa :P

I'm not going to stress myself about getting back into exercising (a few weeks ago I would have!), even though I've only had a real workout that left me super sweaty once since being back from my trip. Instead, I'm going to focus on getting better, eating Whole 30 meals, and ease myself back into an exercise schedule when I have the time and my body is ready :)

Archived