KC Sunshine

Hey all,

Today I began my first Whole30!!

Here's what I've eaten so far:

• Breakfast
    • Scrambled eggs + sweet potato with a side of brocoli
    • Salt and pepper to taste

[*]Lunch

• Scrambled eggs + scallops + mushrooms + brocoli, all mixed together, omelette style
    • Salt and pepper to taste

I'm a bit worried about shopping, as I live in Japan and can only read about 20-30% of items on a food label, but was glad yesterday to find some EVOO and enough fresh veggies and seafood to make today work.

Also, 2 questions for anyone out there with more experience:

• Is there a difference between red and white eggs?
  • What seasonings are recommended for stir-fry, meat, eggs, salads, etc?

Pumped to begin : )

-Casey

Hi Casey, welcome. It must be hard not being able to read all the food labels as that's usually such a big part of W30 shopping. Would it be possible to make a list of all the things we don't want added to our food like sugar. dextrose, soy, sulphites, carageenan, dairy, msg etc.? I know it'd be a pain to compile but then you'd be able to check and avoid them.

As for your questions, I'm not sure what you mean by red eggs. If you just mean the colour of the shell (over here we talk about brown & white) then there's no difference in the actual eggs, if it's anything else then it's beyond me :). As for seasonings, salt, pepper and all individual herbs and spices are fine, mix them up any way you want. As for blends, this probably doesn't help given your circumstances, but it's a matter of reading labels as all sorts of weird things, especially sugar and soy, get put in some of them. Good luck, keep asking questions and do keep us posted how you get on.

Thanks Kirsteen for the advice! Yeah I've started compiling a list - already had to chuck some vinegar because it had sulphites. Also, the egg question was just about shell color - thanks for the clarification.

Amkwick - awesome to see someone else out here! I ate about 6 eggs today and some scallops, but I'm pumped to start relying more on seafood. Tsukiji (world's largest fish market) is only like 20-30 minutes from where I live : )

Just saying hi as I started the same day as you.....I'm not in Japan but I used to be! Which part are you in?

You'll just need to learn (or write down and carry) the Kanji for different ingredients you need to avoid and check those as you shop. I used to do that to check nutritional stuff when in Japan. I could barely understand a word but I could know what was in my food!

Archived