HeatherM

Hello to anyone who finds themselves on this page. I've lost count at how many attempts I've made at Whole 30, the farthest I've made it yet is Day 15. I have been trying every single nutrition plan or diet that comes in front of me over the past 6 years and I've stuck with none of them so of course they have not worked, in fact, the weight continues to creep up even though I'm very active. I know that Whole 30 is the right answer for me. I really need to break this unhealthy cycle that I have with dieting and focus on eating food that is really good for me and fuels my body.

I also need to stop drinking alcohol for a while. With exception of my pregnancies I have used beer & wine to relax on the week-ends or after a stressful day for all of my adult life. I have found that as I get older the effects of alcohol are taking a larger toll. The hangovers show up easier, are harsher, and they last longer. I'm not willing to accept that toll and I'm listening to my body. This is my biggest challenge. I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic but my social life tends to revolve around social settings where alcohol is a big focus. At home there are challenges as well since my husband loves to drink and has absolutely no interest in pursuing this challenge with me. I'm really hoping that if I take this step for me others will naturally follow. I won't force this lifestyle change on anyone but I can't be the only one who's ready to change. If I am then I know I'll be in a place where I'll be finding new relationships and retiring the ones that don't make sense any more. I know from my previous dry spells (pregnancies, Whole 15) that being around heavy drinkers when you are sober is not the most fun. I still want to have fun, I just don't want to be waking up feeling foolish and sick for a couple of days after. I'm not saying that I'll never drink ever again, either, but I am saying that I don't want it to be a habit. I don't want to drink just because it's Friday,

In the past when I've attempted Whole 30 the reason that I never made the term that I committed to is generally because I let others (mostly my husband) influence me. To be fair, I was seeking his influence because I wanted to cave and I wanted to hear someone say "The Whole 30 is too strict, the all or nothing approach doesn't work long term, you need balance". That's exactly what he and others have said when I've mentioned that I'm ready to throw in the Whole 30 towel. Nobody ever said "Didn't you sign up for the entire 30 days? Are you really going to go back on your commitment to yourself?" That's much harder to say. I'm putting this out here because I know in a couple of weeks I'll be looking for someone to say that and I won't be able to find them among my friends or family. I'm hoping to find a friend (or several) on these forums who can help keep me honest with myself through these rough patches. I know it's a lot to ask (especially of strangers), however, I figure I have a better chance at finding someone on this forum since we have similar goals.

I have about 20 lbs to loose and, as much as I don't want that to be the focus of this challenge, it will always be on my mind. I would really like to see this weight come off over the course of a 4 months so that I can improve my physical performance in my second Tough Mudder and complete my first full Marathon before I hit 40.

My bad habits are so well defined and practiced that I feel like 30 days is not going to be enough to address them. I feel that I'll be right back at it again 2 weeks later if I don't commit more time to this change. As a result, I'm committing to 100 days. (6/9). There will be many challenges over the course of this 100 days, the first is going to be a spring break vacation in March. I am actually starting to look forward to treating the vacation as an opportunity to eat fresh local fruits and vegetables and to make creative iced teas to drink pool side instead of the sangria I'd be drowning myself in all day long. I have a good feeling about it and I think my kids will have a better time with me if I'm clean and healthy too.

OK, now that the goal establishment is out of the way, on to the real intent of this post. My log from Day One (3/1):

Up at 3:15am - yuck! I had one glass of wine the night before and this is what happens, my sleep is interrupted.

Started the day with a cup of black coffee.

At 5:45am hit the pavement for my weekly 10k. My time was slower than anticipated but the weather was horrible so that could have contributed...also maybe the glass of wine interrupting my sleep?

7am - Post Workout meal and Breakfast

2 Cage Free Organic Eggs

2 Slices of Uncured Organic Bacon

2 Cups Organic Baby Romaine Lettuce

1/2 Organic Sweet Potato baked in oven with Coconut Oil

Yum!

Off to work by 8, grabbed another cup of black coffee from Starbucks on the way.

11:30am - Lunch

Round Steak about the size of one palm

Chopped Broccoli, mushrooms, celery, spinach, carrots - making up the rest of the plate, about a fist full. This was stir fried with a small amount of EVOO.

1/2 cup blueberries mixed with closed handful of raw cashews and open handful of coconut flakes plus about 1/3 can of Coconut milk.

Steeped Pomegranate Green Tea & lots of water throughout the day.

By 3pm my stomach was growling but I drank more water and ignored it. I'm guessing maybe this is mid-afternoon snack habit because I certainly had enough to eat.

5pm left work and headed to the grocery store on the way home to pick up some Kombucha, I know hubby will be drinking wine when I get home and I want to be prepared. Saw a yummy mango and picked it up to have with dinner.

5:45pm - Dinner

2 local lamb chops in slow cooker

2 fist fulls organic baby spinach cooked in coconut oil

1/2 sweet potoato

Mango

About a finger of Organic raw cashew butter

1/2 bottle of Kombucha

Done eating at 6:30 - I made it! Success, now on to Day 2.

Passed out on the couch by 8 ;) Exciting Friday night.

Day 2 -

Up at 5am

Pre-Workout Meal

1 Cage Free Organic Egg boiled

Small closed handful of raw cashews

Cup of Black Coffee

Workout at 8am (Tough Mudder Bootcamp)

Breakfast & Post Workout Meal

2 Cage Free Organic Eggs fried with 2 sliced uncured organic bacon

2 fist fulls of organic baby romaine lettuce

1/2 Sweet potato baked with coconut oil

1/2 Kombucha

1/2 TSP Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil

Feel amazing this morning!

Busy day with household chores and running around.

Lunch at 1pm

Organic Grassfed and Whole 30 compliant Salami

2 cups chopped red pepper and cherry tomatoes

1/2 cup grapes

Was hungry at 4 and dinner was not close so had a snack of pumpkin seeds and 5 dates plus a cup of green tea, it took the edge off.

Dinner 6:30pm

Grassfed TBone grilled

Mushrooms and onions fried in EVOO

2 cups organic baby spinach

1/2 Kombucha

Fist of sliced strawberries

I'm having a rough time this afternoon, really wanting that habitual glass of wine. I will stay strong! I don't need it.

Day 2 done, Day 3 - bring it!!!

I totally hear you on the wine lady! I had been using it way too- stressful day? Have a glass. Good day? Time to celebrate with a glass. Big night out? Have a glass. Nice dinner? Have a glass. Quiet night in? Have a glass. Or 2 or ...

The next day- sluggish, tired, headaches, bloated. Remorse, guilt, foggy. I feel so much better now!

It's been hard in social situations for sure, but have sparkling water or tea helps. People keep asking if I'm pregnant. It's definitely an autopilot response, a habit and a ritual. Only been 15 days, and I'm still fighting that dragon, but I'm pretty proud of breaking this it far! You can do it!

Good luck!

I made it through last night without drinking though I wasn't in the best of moods and I'm pretty sure that was clear to my husband who had several glasses of wine and drinks throughout the evening and was on the receiving end of my bitchiness. It doesn't feel good to deprive myself of alcohol but it feels absolutely great to wake up clear headed and not hung over. I've had such a productive week-end! I'm sure I'll get past this in time and I'll get my groove back without alcohol.

Up this morning at 4:45am, slept a pretty solid 7 1/2 hours so I'm happy with that.

5am - Black Coffee

6am - Headed for a 17km run with 2 mini cashew chew Larabars on board for fuel

Finished my 17km run, the Larabars were a much needed boost along the way and worked out perfectly.

Breakfast at 9am

Palm sized portion of ground grass fed beef fried with dash of coconut amino, fist of mushrooms and 2 fists of spinach. 1/2 sweet potato cooked in coconut oil. 1/2 Kombucha. Supplement 1/2 tsp of fermented cod liver/butter oil.

Lunch - 1pm

1 full avocado mashed with 2 boiled cage free eggs and a dash of sea salt on top of 2 fist fulls of baby romaine and a fist of cucumber chopped. 1 apple and a spot of almond butter for dip. Yum!

Afternoon Coffee - 3pm - Black Coffee

Dinner - 5pm

One palm size of Bison Rib Eye, Fist of Mushrooms, Onions, & 2 fists of spinach fried with olive oil & 1/4 sweet potato. Fist of Strawberries, Grapes, and Blueberries, 1 finger of cashew butter. 1/2 Kombucha.

Day 3 Done!

I'm right there with you on the alcohol thing. I'm 62 days into a Whole100, and initially alcohol was my biggest obstacle. Like you, much of my social life has always revolved around alcohol. It was a shock for me to realize that I had probably never in my life gone 100 straight days without a drink. I wasn't sure I could do it.

I have always used it as a reward. I worked hard today, I deserve a drink. I would come home from a tough day, pour a glass of wine and 'decompress' before starting dinner. It took me a while, but I eventually figured out it wasn't the alcohol I really wanted, it was permission to just sit and veg for a bit instead of feeling obligated to jump on dinner prep and all my unfinished chores. Now I give myself permission to do so without the drink--but with some sparkling water or an herbal tea instead.

My relationships with friends have been undergoing some scrutiny as well. I was sad to find that several people didn't want to spend time with me at all. I was told to come back when I was off the wagon, but not in so many words. I decided that was their problem, not mine. I feel bad that some relationships I thought were true friendships were merely held together by a string of cocktails. How shallow is that, and why didn't I notice before? But if you have no use for the sober me, I guess you weren't really a friend in the first place, just a drinking buddy, and you can find those anywhere.

It does get easier. I can now attend a cocktail party, or go out to dinner, and not feel deprived. Physically and mentally, I feel better than I have in years, and I'm not willing to screw that up. The big difference is that I'm single. It has to be hard to do this with a drinking spouse. But rock on! You're doing fine so far.

PS Easy on the dates. They are sugar bombs! There's something like 64g of sugar in each one. The alcohol dragon and the sugar dragon are closely related, so don't feed the one, or the other is liable to get hungry.

PS Easy on the dates. They are sugar bombs! There's something like 64g of sugar in each one. The alcohol dragon and the sugar dragon are closely related, so don't feed the one, or the other is liable to get hungry.

Good point- I'm skipping fruit and nuts all together, for now. I think has helped cravings for wine on a bio level now it's just mental. Tough during endurance training though (I'm a runner too but taking a break now). Maybe there are some posts on this forum or blogs about a what to eat for that.

This is exactly the kind of support that I'm looking to find on this forum. Thanks so much 1MaryAnn and Cavegirlmegan. Somehow knowing that others are going through this or have gone through this makes it a little bit easier to stick to, to know that I'm not attempting the impossible is comforting.

Interesting about the link between dates and alcohol. The brand that I have has 29g sugar in 6 dates so it's a little lower in sugar, however, I was attributing my strong cravings for wine to habit and ritual and when I look back those cravings kicked in immediately after I ate the dates. Next time I'll try a boiled egg or a piece of meat to tie me over if I'm hungry.

Welcome Day 4! I went to bed last night at 8pm, I was really tired so I fell to sleep pretty quickly. Up this morning without an alarm at 4:30, I feel really rested and ready to take on what I'm sure will be a crazy stressful and busy day at work.

Yesterday afternoon my husband and I had a coffee date and he came with me to donate my scale. He asked me how he was going to weigh himself and I told him to use the gym scale, he didn't buy the scale we have in our house and he isn't the one who has a problem with it. I told him that sometimes I weigh myself 3 times a day and that I normally weigh myself more often if I've been eating poorly. I think it finally started to sink in that I'm really making a change this time. We had a really nice chat over coffee, I felt more relaxed than I ever have in a coffee shop. Normally during the week-ends I feel so anxious, like there is so much to do and so little time, but this week-end I was so productive having slept well and with no hangover. It was an amazing feeling. I told my husband that this is an example of a new date that we could have, on a Friday night the coffee shop has live music and he could have a beer while I have a nice Mighty Leaf tea. I feel like already I'm starting to find my groove. I know this will get harder before it gets easier though. Look out next week-end :unsure:

At 4:30am I had a nice black coffee and hit the showers by 5:30. Off to work by 6:00.

Supplement 1/2 tsp Fermented Cod Liver/Butter Oil, do foam roller for mobility.

Packed the following to take with me:

Breakfast - 7:30ish

3 eggs mashed with an avocado

Fist of Cucumber

Fists of baby romaine lettuce

Fist of Grapes

Another Coffee

Lunch - 11:30ish

Leftover Bison and veggies from last night - same size portion.

Apple with about a finger of Almond Butter

Dinner - 6:00ish

2 Palm Size portion of Ahi Tuna Steak wrapped in 2 slices uncured bacon and broiled

1 cup of cauliflower rice cooked in olive oil

1 cup of kale baked in spritzed olive oil

2 cups of fruit (strawberries, grapes, blueberries)

I need to watch the fruit. I got too hungry between lunch and dinner and over did it, the evening fruit was not planned and I had more than recommended by the meal planning template.

I received my premade paleo order today, excited to try some of these meals this week.

Day 4 Done - looking forward to Day 5 tomorrow. Goal tomorrow is to keep fruit servings to 2 or less.

Woke up a little less chipper today (Day 5) and I'm hoping that my am workout will turn that around. I did sleep well and woke at 4:30 with no alarm.

I need to change the title of my Diary to Whole 100 Definitely. No Maybe any longer.

I've been thinking a lot about events that I have coming up and wondering how exactly I'm going to deal with them and I know that I'm over thinking it. I have a business dinner to go to next Tuesday at a 5 star local restaurant that I've really wanted to try, however, knowing it has potential to mess up my plan I've emailed them in advance and asked if they can deal with my dietary restrictions. If they can't, I'll be packing my own meal, I'm not going to go off plan for a business dinner.

I will be leaving on March 14th for almost 2 weeks to go to Florida for spring break. This is an annual trip for us. Last year I had some alcohol every day while sitting by the pool or at dinner. This year that's a no go. I also love Chick Fil A and we can't get it in Canada so every year we make a big deal out of eating that when we visit FL. That's going to be a no go for me as well. I've been rationalizing these things and questioning whether this is all worth it, what's the harm in pausing for a couple of weeks, etc... This is dangerous thinking. I need to be prepared with plans for dealing with introducing new behavior while on vacation but I need to stop questioning whether it's worth it. It is. Should my vacation be a vacation from health? Absolutely not. This is behavior that I want to change and it is absolutely worth it.

6-7am ARC Roc It Circuit (Bootcamp)

My food log today:

4:45am Black Coffee

5:30am Preworkout snack - Boiled Egg, 1/2 packet of sweet potato baby food (this was perfect fuel)

7:30am Breakfast - Premade Paleo- Sausage & Sweet Potato skillet with 2 eggs

Noon - Lunch - Premade Paleo Thai Coconut Chicken Soup (spilled a bunch in the microwave), Premade Paleo Trail Mix

6:30 Dinner - Chicken Leg and Thigh x 2, Asparagus, Celery, Carrot, Pepper Hash x 2 cups. 2 cups fresh fruit, 1 TBSP Cashew Butter.

I ate too much for dinner but I was really hungry and I had a bit of a binge. I didn't plan the fruit or the 2nd chicken leg. Overall, not a bad day though. I haven't craved wine since Saturday, that's a good thing :)

Day 6 - Wow! That went by fast! I'm wondering what's different this time than the other times that I've attempted Whole 30 and failed. I feel different, it's like something has clicked with me. I don't want to jinx it because temptation is certainly still ahead of me but I feel like I'm going to make it this time, even with all of the obstacles in my way. I believe this forum has really helped me stay accountable to myself. I really appreciate reading other people's posts and the great feedback that I've received on my own. It's awesome to have people to share this with. :wub:

Yesterday at work some co-workers were talking about my upcoming vacation and they started to talk about alcohol and food that they know are triggers for me. I let them know that I'm continuing my Whole 100 through vacation. They said I was crazy, why would I do that to myself, etc..etc... Funny. I didn't let it get to me like I would have a week ago or even a few days ago. Instead, I chuckled to myself and thought "Why would I do that to myself" ... good question indeed. I decided the answer is personal and not to be shared with a group who clearly do not understand and have no need to understand my journey. I do feel really grounded in the answer, however. Why would I do that (Whole 100) through my Spring break vacation? The answer is pretty clear to me:

1. Why not? Vacation does not = food and alcohol free for all. Vacation = spending meaningful time with my family, doing fun things, and relaxing. I should not need food or alcohol to do those things.

2. There is never going to be a 100 day period where I don't have some reason to go off plan. Why wait?

3. If I paused my Whole 100 until I returned from Vacation that would be one more month (March) that I could have spent working on my goals and I didn't. Why waste it? For what?

4. If I pause for vacation what else do I pause for? When we start camping every week-end do I pause for that? Last year week-ends were a health disaster and it's one of my goals to clean that up. Getting through Spring Break on plan will be a great way to do this.

Those are the primary reasons and they have become my anchor. I do plan to print these and laminate for my purse to take with me and pull out when times get rough - I know it won't be all sunshine and rainbows.

So on with today - Day 6 :)

I slept really well - almost hit 9 hours.

I got up at 5am and had a cup of black coffee.

Headed for a 7k run at 6:15.

Planned Meals - Check back in later to confirm what I actually ate:

Supplement - Fermented Cod Liver/Butter Oil

Breakfast - 7:30

2 Eggs, 2 Sliced Uncured Bacon, 2 fists of baby romaine, 1/2 sweet potato baked. My fav - yum!

Lunch - 12:30ish (Trying to push this later so I don't get so hungry by dinner time)

Chicken breast, 2 fists mixed salad greens, 1/2 fist cucumber, 1/2 fist grapes, splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, Premade Paleo Trail Mix

Dinner - 6ish

1 palm of Sirloin Tip Roast, Fist of Baby Carrots, 1/2 fist of celery & onion, Fist of baby spinach. Have with 1/2 Kombucha mixed with sparkling water. 2 Cups of Fresh strawberries, grapes, and blueberries. 1 TBSP Cashew Butter.

I used fruit and cashew butter as a "desert" again. I need to cut this out. Thursday the cycle will be broken because I'm having dental surgery and won't be eating solids in the evening.

Regardless, another Whole 30 success today. Tomorrow will be a week!

Good Morning all! Today is Day 7, I can't believe it! I have dental surgery today and can't eat past 9am.

I started my day a 4:40am with black coffee.

6am Bootcamp with KT

Planned Breakfast - 7:30am

2 Eggs

2 Slices Uncured Bacon

1/2 sweet potato

2 fists mixed greens

Supplement - 1/2 TSP Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil

No Lunch - Can't eat for 6 hours pre-surgery

Dinner is questionable - Surgery is over at 6pm

Bye Bye Day 7, Welcome Day 8!

So I ended Day 7 with dental work that required a fasted period between breakfast and dinner. I was STARVING when it was over. Even though my face was completely frozen I managed to scarf down a very large dinner which was effectively lunch and dinner together.

Banana

2 Chicken Legs

4 fists of Kale

Small Bowl of Strawberries with coconut, cashews, and coconut milk - mmmmm

Fell asleep by 7pm and up at 4am. Great sleep!

Started my day with a cup of black coffee before stretching out on my foam roller and heading for a 10K run at 5:30am.

Supplement with 1/2 tsp fermented cod liver/butter oil

Breakfast - 7:00 am

2 eggs fried in coconut oil on top of 2 fists of mixed organic greens, , 2 slices of uncured bacon, and 1/2 sweet potato baked.

Lunch - Around Noon

Palm size Jerk Turkey, Cauliflower, Braised Greens

Dinner - Around 6pm

Small Lamb Chops x 3 with Asparagus and 1/2 Sweet Potato

1/2 Kombucha

Small bowl Strawberries with Coconut, cashews, and Coconut milk

Fist of Blueberries

Managed to keep the fruit under control today. I know that I'm going to want fruit in the pm so I think the key for me is to not have it for Breakfast or Lunch.

Another Day Down!

So Happy to see Day 9 :) I've actually been feeling quite amazing. Yesterday during my 10K I was equating the feeling to that of being buzzed. That happy place between sober and drunk. I feel like that a lot. Sometimes I'm almost giddy. I have really increased my working out as well and I know that this helps. I am training for a 1/2 marathon which is 1 week away and I started Tough Mudder training.

Normally, I'd call today a challenge day because it's Saturday and the sun is going to be shining and I'm going to visit with friends this evening. However, I don't think it's going to be much of a challenge at all. I'm finding that it's getting easier to stay away from alcohol. The food isn't a problem at all because I love how I'm eating. In general, if I had something I wanted to do the following day I would seek forms of alcohol that tended to give me less of a hangover (Sangria over Wine, etc). I'm finding it's becoming much easier to just not have it at all and it's much better to wake up fresh rather than with less of a hangover. Tonight I'll be hanging out with good friends and I don't need alcohol to do that.

Workout Today - Tough Mudder training at 8am was planned but I skipped it because I have a long run tomorrow as part of my training and I'm still sore from Thursday's class so I'm going to take a break today and just get out for a walk a bit later.

Breakfast

2 Boiled Eggs

1/2 Baby food sachet - Sweet Potato

Mini Apple Larabar

Supplement 1/2 tsp Fermented Cod Liver/Butter Oil

Lunch

Chicken leg and thigh - 2+ palm fulls (maybe too large of a portion)

Mixed organic greens 2 fists

Blueberries 1/2 fist, Handful walnuts, squeeze lemon juice

Kombucha 1/2

Dinner

Grass fed sirloin steak

Mushrooms & Onions

1/2 sweet potato

Strawberries & Grapes & Blueberries

Day 10 Tomorrow & 4 Days left until Spring Break vacation.

Sleep was too short, time change and a visit with friends messed up my normal schedule. I had a bloated and gurgling stomach last night and this morning, I'm chalking it up to too much fruit and maybe the Kombucha I had yesterday.

My lack of sleep has me feeling less than chipper. I had a long run planned for this morning but I am going to shorten it to 10K and take a hike a bit later this afternoon. My hip flexors and hamstrings are telling me to rest before the half marathon next week and I'm going to listen because I don't want any injuries, especially while on vacation.

Breakfast

2 Eggs fried in Coconut Oil

2 Slices Uncured Bacon

2 fists Organic Greens

1/2 Sweet Potato

Strawberries, Blueberries

Lunch

Cold Chicken

Strawberries, Blueberries, Cashews, coconut, and coconut milk

2 cups mushrooms, ghee

Dinner

Well Fed Pad Thai

Hi Heather! Along with Mary Ann, I am 60-something days into a Whole 100. And like you, my biggest fear was that I could not give up wine. I drank every night with my husband and in almost all social situations. I was so grateful to be clear that I am not an alcholic and that giving up the wine made very little difference in my life. As an aside, I also had 20 pounds to lose and it came off easily. I am about to turn 61 and I was certain that my age and my metabolism were responsible for my inability to lose the weight despite being on WW and going to the gym every day. Clearly this way of eating ( and not drinking) agrees with me.

I am sure that one key reason I am getting through is the support from my fellow bloggers on "100 Days of Awesome". So, I will be following you and cheering you on. Feel free to follow us there too. We started with about 40 people around New Years and there are 7 of us left.

shelley417, your post was so VERY timely. I had a long hike today with my son and brother and each advised me to relax and go a bit wild on vacation. I told them that I don't need to binge eat or drink to have a relaxing vacation but by the time I was done hiking I had convinced myself that a pause at Day15 during my vacation is not a bad thing. Wrong. I need to do the full Whole 100 and I want to do it. I have checked out your 100 Days of Awesome thread because I was curious about how people were feeling as they continue to push for 100, I'll keep checking that thread as well.

I'll be all over this forum when I'm on vacation. I'm going to need support and I sure do appreciate knowing others, like yourself, have had the same struggles and have been successful. Thanks for your post today :)

Had an excellent sleep last night and woke up well rested for Day 11. It's going to be a crazy busy partial week at work leading up to vacation. I have stuff planned for every night this week in order to make it happen and I'm used to just crashing on week nights after work. I can't wait for vacation! I really need this break and I am looking forward to spending quality time with the kids in Sunny FL.

Woke at 4am, by 4:22 I'm sipping my black coffee and thinking about how the rest of this morning will play out. I was thinking of doing a long run this morning but with all I have going on I think I'll be keeping it to 8K and tapering from now until my Half Marathon next Sunday. I'll do Tough Mudder Training on Tuesday & Thursday morning, a short run Wednesday am, and no more (except some outdoor play) until the HM. My legs will appreciate this rest.

I still look for the scale every day. Yesterday I hung out with an old Weight Watchers buddy and told them that I donated my scale, he looked at me like I was crazy and basically reflected upon the "phase" I'm going through. No scale will ever come back in my house, no way no how.

I keep toying with the idea of a break in my Whole 100 for a little off roading while on vacation. I know that is not the right answer and I can only imagine how strong I am going to feel on the back end of this after having made it through my vacation with no alcohol. Success through vacation will set me up for a very successful summer of camping. I really don't want every week-end during the summer to turn into a junk food binge supplemented heavily by alcohol. I know why I want to stay on my Whole 100 during vacation and I know that I can. My friends and family don't "get" it but that's OK , this is not their thing. It is my thing and I need to own it. Nobody is making me do this, I am doing it because I chose to and I chose to because I know it's right for me. I need to trust myself and follow through with my commitment.

Planned Meals Today

Breakfast:

1/2 Sweet Potato

2 Eggs fried in coconut oil

2 Slices uncured bacon

2 fists of organic greens

Lunch:

Leftover Well Fed Pad Thai - this stuff is Yum! My whole family enjoyed it so I'm lucky to have leftovers :)

I was still hungry after eating this (small portion) so I had a mini larabar and a few pistachios to take the edge off.

Dinner:

2 Chicken legs

2 cups of broccoli, celery, onion, carrot stir fried in coconut oil

Too many strawberries, grapes, and blueberries in a large fruit cup

I let myself get too hungry and I think I overdid it. I woke up with a bad stomach because I ate so much right before bed.

Yesterday I didn't feel all that hungry at dinner and that's VERY unusual for me. I'll be watching that closely today and making sure that I'm not stuffing my face out of habit to feed a beast that has calmed. Update: that beast is not calm. I was pretty hungry today.

Hi Heather! It's gorgeous here in Sunny Florida and I am sure you are going to have a great time with your family. One of the excellent things I am getting out of my W100 is that variety of life circumstances that I have experienced during this time at which I needed to be compliant-- vacations, family parties out of town ( where there was absolutely nothing at them luncheon I could eat-- I had a can of tuna and a can of hearts of palm in my bag!!), people's parties, eating out for work, cocktail receptions for work, etc.. The 100 days really underscores the discipline you will need for life. You are right that there will never be. 100 day period where some life circumstance will challenge you.

It's really up to you to decide. And whatever you do-- don't beat up on yourself for your decision.

Happy Monday.

Day 12 - woke up this morning just before 3:30am. I'm a bit stressed at work and prepping to go on vacation so that's what got my head racing. I still managed to get about 7 hours sleep.

I worked late last night and spread too much time between meals and ate too much too close to bed time last night. As a result I have a bit of indigestion this am.

Started my day at 3:45 with a black cup of coffee.

I'm going to have to work early and skip my workout :( Oh well, at least I'm headed on vacation for 9 days and I'll get lots of activity there - doing a 1/2 marathon. I am still determined to squeeze in a run tomorrow morning and a workout on Thursday morning, however.

Breakfast - 1 boiled egg, Paleo Pack

Lunch - Premade Paleo Meatloaf, beets, and green beans

Dinner - Dry grilled steak, tomato, carrot, asparagus in olive oil

Are you going to be staying somewhere on vacation with a refrigerator?

When I travel I bring the wild planet canned tuna and canned salmon and avocados and canned hearts of palm and beef jerky from Steve's paleo. Also apples and carrots and nuts.

I generally eat more fruit and nuts on vacation because they are compliant and easy and its better than junk. If I had a fridge I brought cut up vegetables ( or you can buy them in Florida) to keep in my bag.

As you already remarked- I made my trips about the people, the family and the places and not about the food.

I have a house rented so I do have all the amenities of home, this will make it much easier thankfully. I plan to make good use of the grill and for busy days when we're out and about I'll have something simmering in the slow cooker.

I will still look forward to my meals and I'll plan amazing and delicious things that I don't often get at home. Example, fresh seafood. I'm planning to freeze some fruit for poolside snacks and have lots of iced herbal tea on hand for drinks.

Normally we only eat out a few times when we do this trip. This year I'll restrict eating out to places that I know I can stay on plan with. When we are away from the house and need to eat on the run I'll have paleo packs prepared to take with me.

Thanks for the suggestions and the support! I really appreciate it.

Following last night's big success with a compliant dinner out, I'm pumped to continue Whole 100 through my vacation. I got this!

I didn't get home last night from "work" until 10:30 and started at 3:30am so that means I logged roughly 18+ hours. It was a crazy stressful day. I crashed as soon as I got home and woke at 4:00am.

Started my day with a cup of black coffee

5K run at 5:30am. It was a crappy run because my mind was on work and I really wasn't in the moment as I should have been. At least I'm getting plenty of rest before the 1/2 Marathon on Sunday.

Day 13

Breakfast - 2 eggs, 2 slices uncured bacon, 1/2 sweet potato, 2 fists mixed organic greens

Lunch - Chicken Leg quarter, Cup of Snap Peas and Carrots. Strawberries with cashews, coconut, and coconut milk.

Dinner - Chicken Leg quarter. Strawberries & grapes.

I didn't feel very hungry in the pm (VERY strange for me) and I couldn't convince myself to eat veggies, instead I had more fruit and I know that's wrong. Obviously, still something I have to work on.

Day 14 - it's here! I leave for vacation tonight. I am so busy at work that I haven't even packed anything yet. I'm still planning to stay on my Whole 100 for the duration of vacation. Funny, if I hadn't started on the 1st I think I would have lost count by now, it's starting to come naturally and I'm not really counting down to an end.

No workout today because I'm going to work a 14 hour day and there's no time to squeeze it in before heading to the airport. :(

Planned Meals today:

Breakfast - 2 boiled eggs, carrots, peas

Lunch - Catered at work - I was told it will be "chicken on salad", they ordered something different for me in an attempt to address my restrictions so I don't want to be rude and not accept it but I am packing a paleo snack mix just in case I can't eat it.

Dinner - Chicken Breast, greens, strawberries, walnuts, olive oil, balsamic, cucumber

This was one of the most stressful days of my life but I'm sitting at the airport having just finished a herbal tea while my family wolfed down Wendy's and I feel pretty great. Another day down and my belt went in a notch today. Can't wait to wake up in FL.

Archived