Nausea After Eating Coconut Oil?

I'm on day 10 of my second Whole30 of 2013 and just tried eating straight coconut oil for the first time. I had less than a tablespoon and then ate a few pieces of chicken intending to go work out. Within 30 minutes I felt so nauseous I skipped exercise for the night. Is it normal for coconut oil to cause nausea? I've been eating coconut milk without issue since January, so the only thing I could think to attribute the nausea to is the straight oil.

Yup that's normal :) I read a book ages ago called Eat Fat Lose Fat or something like that, and it recommended having a tablespoon or 2 of coconut oil 20 mins before every meal. They recommended working your way up from 1 tsp to 2 tablespoons because it makes a lot of people nauseous. So apparently it gets better, but start small! :)

I've done cocunut oil straight up. Though it never stopped making me nauseous, it greatly decreased. However, when I mix a tablespoon into the serving of whatever I'm eating/drinking (coffee, sweet potatoes, etc) I have absolutely no problem with it.

Archived