Tree-Nut Allergy & Snacks

Hello! I've done the "search" thing and been all over this forum, but I can't find anything related to snacks & a tree-nut allergy. If I've missed it, please point me in the right direction. (It was difficult as the search engine would not accept any words fewer than 4 letters, which meant it couldn't search for "nut".)

My husband and I are allergic to tree-nuts in the anaphylactic sense. I am also allergic to pumpkin seeds, but I seem to be tolerating other seeds with no trouble. Coconuts are fine for both of us. (As a side note, I cannot tolerate corn, and hubby cannot tolerate soy, so this way of eating is alrady partly done for us!)

I work a typical office job, and I have access to a fridge, a microwave, and dishes. Hubby does not have the same luxuries at his work. We have not started my Whole30 yet as hubby and I are in the receipe-gathering and otherwise prepping stage, but we are making paleo choices in the meantime. We also have a large ethnic function next weekend, and we feel the stress of the function would make it hard to stick with it, and want to set ourselves up for success.

I would appreciate snack ideas that are Whole30 appropriate, packable, and make-ahead-able.

We are having no problem with regular meals, since we are both lucky enough to like meat and veggies in all forms.

Thanking you ahead of time for your ideas!

I can relate as I share those same food issues. Homemade beef jerky is a good choice. You can make it in a dehydrator or in a normal oven. Very portable, compliant source of protein. It's harder to find a source of fat, but since you can eat coconut, I'd suggest carrying shredded coconut for that. You could also take fruit along if you need a little something more.

My husband and I prepared snacks and then realized that snacks are not really part of the program. We keep them around to add to meals or for extremely hungry days. In place of nuts, you can add coconut meat or olives. That only fulfills the fat component of the meal template and a snack should be a small meal. Homemade jerky is great for the meat. Then, you will need a little veggie. Kale chips work, but so do all kinds of veggies. Anything goes and variety helps. Limit fruit at snack time as much as you possibly can.

If you find yourself snacking a lot, you may need four meals. By week two, you can probably get enough meat/fat/veg at your three meals to make it, though. At least, I was able to. I went from 7 snacks a day to 3 proper meals and I am so excited! And, I still keep snacks around just in case. They can help in a situation where I understimated my food needs or can't get to food quickly enough.

• 3 weeks later...

That's what I love about W30 - it's such a whole learning experience :) I've learnt so much on it - I'm still learning ;). I think back to some of my early posts and thing 'ouch' :wacko: so I'm living proof that it's only by asking *silly* questions that we learn. good luck

Archived