I actually did it!!

hulaomanini

Hello,

I started my journey overweight and burnt out on the body by vi diet I was doing. One night I felt disgustingly sick from eating too much sushi. As I sat on the couch feeling sick and fat I started thinking about my health and realized I literally didn't eat any veggies and I didn't eat fruits. I couldn't even think about the last time I grabbed an apple or orange. I am 30 and I still didn't have my food habits under control and I was still gaining and losing the same 25 pounds. I was bummed out about my health and realized I really needed to kick all the bad eating/dieting/bad habits I had once and for all. I had a minor health scare which also motiviated me but I didn't have any serious health issues... yet. I did however know that it was only a matter of time if I didn't get my act together.

A girlfriend of mine owns a crossfit gym in Maui and had been encourgaing me to join crossfit saying I would love it because I am an athlete. I knew that the paleo diet and crossfit went hand in hand. The same night I sat on my couch stuffed and feeling bad about myself I picked up my computer and started researching paleo and finally landed on the Whole30 website. I vowed to start the next day and for the first 4 days did the diet half ass. I still wanted to do the body by vi shakes to "optimize" my weight loss. I continued researching, and reading the forums and different articles and decided that I would give myself a real chance and do the whole30 exactly the way it said to do it. So I tossed my body by vi and dove in head first. I loved that there were no excuses built into the program and that I couldn't give any excuses. It held me accountable... either I could eat more healthy or less healthy. Now that is pretty straight forward.

At first the whole30 challenged me but there was never a moment I thought "I can't do this". I knew I could and I knew I had to do it. I am not saying there weren't chanllenging times or situations because there were plenty but I knew I wouldn't slip. The first few days I had the "flu" and after that it was good. the magic for me kicked in the last few days on my whole30. During it I could feel a difference in the mornings, It was easier for me to wake up and my energy lasted longer which is helpful when you have a two year old. My taste buds completely adjusted and fruits tasted really sweet and food without ketchup and shoyu were also delicious. I would just say to stay patient and stay the course. It will happen.

Now that I have finised the whole30.... well I actually decided to extend it to a whole60. I finised the whole30 in vegas on 3/8 and I wanted to committ another 30 days because I knew my new healthy ways were not completely a habit yet. I knew I could still easily convert back to my old ways. It was also a way for me to avoid going off the deep end in vegas. I got through vegas without one alcoholic drink, buffet, or fast food. It is not hard. don't fool yourself. I weighed myself in vegas just to see if I had really lost weight and I lost 16 pounds and I am down one pant size. For me this experience has been life changing. I have been after that elusive healthy habits for a long time but really it was always ended being about weight loss. For the first time this has never been about losing weight, truly it was a prayer to help me find my health. My psychology has changed and I realize that when I am stressed, angry, mad, sad that I do not have to turn to food to comfort me. I realized that going and hanging with friends doesn't have to be about food, that I can still hang out with them and enjoy myself without gorging myself. That if I didn't make the best compliant choice for the whole30 that I didn't need to say screw it and go off the deep end. I would say those are my biggest accomplishments not the 16 pounds but that I am closer to having a balanced life. For me extending another 30 days was necessary to continue my journey to optimal health:) I am almost that person who is showing by action not by words. I know by changing my life I can help change the health of those around me.

I am 4 days into my next 30 days and I will be adding crossfit. I knew I needed to get my food under control first and now my next 30 will be about combining both food and exercise. My next 30 will also be focused on making my new healthy ways... the ONLY way to live! To good health, love and happniess. To the Hartwigs thank you for changing my life:)

Leilani

I am on Day 2 of my first Whole30 and was feeling a bit overwhelmed with the idea of changing these habits and getting into serious exercise at the same time. What a great idea you have had! Now I am focused on getting some walking in every day during this 30, then after getting habits under control (and regaining some energy) using a 2nd 30 to focus on exercise! Congratulations on your success!!!

I am on Day 2 of my first Whole30 and was feeling a bit overwhelmed with the idea of changing these habits and getting into serious exercise at the same time. What a great idea you have had! Now I am focused on getting some walking in every day during this 30, then after getting habits under control (and regaining some energy) using a 2nd 30 to focus on exercise! Congratulations on your success!!!

Alisa,

you can do it!! It is for sure overwhelming at first but if you are prepared and patient with yourself you are gonna kick butt on it. I cant say enough how it has changed my life because no words can express it. I am not on day 40 and it just keeps getting better. I thought when I first started how much I wished I could be the people who were on day 15 or day 30 and I thought I will never get there. but i did get there and so will you! good luck! I start crossfit tomorrow wish me luck :)

Archived