Menu Help?

emsers

I'm on day 57 of my first Whole 60 and I have dinner plans tonight with an old friend who is here from out of town.

He picked this restaurant and I'm struggling to figure out what I should order.

http://graftonstreetcambridge.com/menu/dinner/

I was originally planning to just eat a bit before and order a light salad or something, but there isn't really a good option. I'm most excited about the seafood - I was debating the scallops minus the wheatberries? but I'm nervous about butter and other extras I don't know about.

I'm not very good at being demanding at restaurants (thus far on my journey I've mostly avoided them except twice for sashimi where I just brought my own coconut aminos) but I'm up for any suggestions about how to manage.

Help?

• Moderators

I might order steak with an arugula salad and a side of Brussels sprouts, specifying that you want no cheese, croutons, etc. Just olive oil and vinegar dressing. Or a bunless burger in place of the steak.

In my experience, you can ask if there are clean pans to have all of your food cooked in and if there are safer cooking oils that they will use. (They may use butter, corn and soy, but may have olive oil for salads, for example). Using this method, you can have almost any protein and veggie. My husband has had to do it on business trips and guided me through it over the weekend. It was much easier than I had anticipated.

Thanks for the help. I got over my intimidation and managed to ask for just what I wanted - they were VERY nice and VERY accommodating (I think it helped that I did not correct them when they said I was allergic to dairy.) I ended up eating amazing scallops and they sauteed a big plate of spinach and broccoli rabe for me using olive oil as well. Yum.

This definitely gives me more confidence to go out to eat in the future. I prefer making my own meals, but sometimes it's hard to keep my social life if I'm not going out to eat with my friends.

Archived