Whole49 - My Mother's Day Challenge

Christie Mawby

So this is officially my third attempt at the Whole30. My first attempt I made it all the way to Day 26 and then went into some sort of sugar dragon induced binge eating fiasco. I then attempted to start again March 1/13 - I even set up a blog. Then I had company, a cold that just would not go away, a travelling husband, and most importantly a severe lack of motivation...I made it...2 and a half days. I was undone by an oat and fudge brownie from Starbucks'. It was deliciously evil and sent me down the road to ruin.

I have bemoaned my fate, I have whined and wined (mmmm wine). I am over it now. So I will update the old blog, I linked this to my facebook account, I will pull out all the stops. I even ordered "Well Fed" so I have a book, rather than the inter web, to look to for inspiration.

I have my camera all prepped for "pictures" and my personal trainer on high alert tomorrow to take all my measurements. I have poached fish for dinner, no potatoes (except the sweet kind), and food processor that is in desperate need of exercise.

Most importantly I have you and all my friends I have made from my first Whole30 in January. So here's to me and us! If this is something that you feel you would like to join me in by all means feel free to add to this post :)

Well, here we are Day 1. So far I have managed to snarffle down some eggs, some spinach and some sauteed mushrooms. I was also much smarter this go around and have an ample supply of coconut milk for my coffee.

I have an exciting morning of prep work ahead of me - roasted sweet potato, some "egg muffins", possibly a sausage cook-up if they are compliant (which they should be because I never really went back to "standard" meat products after January's attempt). I have two whole chickens out thawing.

The whole "detox" process may be much more brutal this go around - I was like a processed, sugar food fiend this past weekend - plus my kids are home on spring break.

I do have a huge spinach salad prepped already and yesterday we made Tomato Basil soup from "Make it Paleo" and I have a few fillets of tillapia left over from dinner last night so at the very least I know I do not need to engage my brain until dinner.

Yeah! SO excited to be back here on the road to health and wellness. I am in the exact same situation as Christie having gotten most of the way through my Whole 30 before life derailed me. Learning that this is a choice to lead a healthier lifestyle and that I need to make feeling strong and healthy my priority. Here's to day 1!!

So, it is the beginning of Day 2.

Day 1 was a success. Sure, I almost gave my self an accidental masectomy doing cleans yesterday but my diet was fairly bang on...until I woke up at 330am with hunger pangs...I wasn't expecting that. So I glugged some water and went back to bed.

On tap for breakfast this morning some hardboiled eggs, a baked apple with cinnamon and some left over roast veggies.

Lunch will remain a mystery - something tells me it will be a repeat from yesterday. Now to go brew some delicious coffee because there is a tin of coconut milk calling my name!

Well here I am blissfully staring down day 3. By blissful I mean I desperately want to get into the kids Easter candy - but I locked in the trunk of my husband's car so I can't get to it. There is also about one slice left of this amazing banana bread my husband makes for our son (who is gluten intolerant) staring at me from the cupboard with it's almond flour goodness so, guess what my kids are having for snack in an hour?

I spent yesterday menu planning and then twitter bombing various paleo sites (Melissa Joulwan actually replied to my tweet - I felt so loved :)). Once I was done stalking people on twitter I moved to facebook and did what any normal person would do...I spammed my own page with recipes, photos of my actual "plan", and a grocery list. My friends now think I am insane.

I am at the tail end of last week's groceries - and I did not plan that menu out nearly as well. So I am sorta struggling to keep on track. I have a handful of random veggies and one box of severely wilted (gasp - I know) spinach. By random I mean 2 stalks of celery, some carrots and an avocado I think I spied a zucchini but, I will be honest, I am nervous about opening the drawer to find out.

As for food breakfast was the last of my eggs, some sausage, and some roasted sweet potato. Lunch I think will be the last of my tomato soup, the sauteed remains of my spinach, and some left over shrimp from yesterday (I tossed them in coconut oil, garum marsala and a splash of lime juice - super delicious).

Dinner - I haven't made it that far. Roast chicken, sweet potato.....and .... who knows? I can't think of dinner before I have even had lunch.

Archived