Any secrets for success?

suzaloo

I attempted a whole 30 last year, and only made it about one week in before getting derailed. I am going to do it again beginning on April 1.

I have figured out a few strategies to help set me up for success this time

- plan time before starting to shop/clear the pantry/find recipes

- I also am going to do this with a friend so that we can make big batches of mayo, ghee, etc. together and have the moral support and accountability.

Do you have any other tips for the (almost) newbie to have a successful 30 days?

Make a complete meal plan so there is never any guesswork. Know what you are having every day of the week by the week before so you have time to plan/shop and make the basic things like you mentioned (mayo/ghee and also bone stock will go a long way in all kinds of recipes for adding flavour).

I have post it notes all over my house with positive affirmations that I must say out loud when I encounter one...every time.

Cheers,

Tamara

What do you think were the contributing factors to your derailment last year? Was it due to a social situation, running out of compliant food, poor meal planning, etc? I think the best things anyone attempting a W30 can do are (1) Have all the facts beforehand (i.e. reading ISWF). I'm guessing you're already there; (2) Make meals for the week or at least several days ahead of time; (3) Remove as much non-compliant food from the house as possible; (4) Keep things like cans of tuna, hardboiled eggs, baked sweet potatoes, nuts (if you can handle them without overeating) on hand at all times so if you feel like snacking you aren't tempted to get something off-plan; and (5) Follow the meal template to make sure you are eating enough, which will keep you satisfied between meals.

Relax and don't overthink too much. Don't eat things that you don't like, eat lots of things you do like. Don't force yourself to eat anything because you think you should or because you followed some recipe or because some other person eats it. Don't eat things because you feel you have to. Don't deprive yourself of allowed foods because you think you should. Don't stress over complicated recipes. Make easy things. Eat a lot of salad and fruit. Embrace the grill, even if it's just a george foreman. Don't overestimate the size of your palm and thumb :)

Good luck!

Archived