Mar 31-Apr 30 Whole31

jochi1543

Day 2 of my first Whole30 challenge today. 5'5" female, 28 years old, athletic build, weighed in at 153.8 today and will log this as my starting weight. Would like to cut 5 lbs, 10 would be nice if possible. Lowest I've ever achieved after starting Crossfit while carrying slightly less muscle mass was about 140, so I don't know if going below 145 again is ever possible without quitting Crossfit. I'll post progress pictures after the challenge is over, took some before ones today.

I'm healthy overall and on no medications, so this is primarily for fat/weightloss and also as an extended detox of sorts after a no-holds-barred vacation. I've been eating grain- and processed food-free for about a year (essentially, primal), but lately I've been eating way more nuts/nut butter and dairy such as cottage cheese or Greek yogurt than I need to keep my weight down. I've never been one of those people who lose weight effortlessly, even while doing primal, so I'll have to focus on eating way more vegetables than usual and keeping my nut and dried fruit intake down so my calories don't get out of control (I'll eat up to 3000 while working out if left to my own devices). I decided I'll keep my nut intake at no more than 2 tbsp nut butter or 1/2 cup nuts a day.

Food yesterday:

massive shredded vegetable salad with two hardboiled eggs (beets, chard, spinach, kale, carrots, cabbage, radishes, cucumber, raw mushrooms, green onions)

slow cooker short ribs (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3762844557/slow-cooker-korean-grass-fed-short-ribs)

butternut squash soup (http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/spicy-butternut-squash-soup-3089)

mixed greens salad with avocado, smoked oysters, and balsamic vinegar

banana with cashew butter

Day 3 today! Doing well so far.

Day 2 log:

an egg and 2 strips of bacon

several cucumbers

escargots in ghee with garlic/parsley; used the fat for salad dressing on a mixed greens/sauteed mushrooms/avocado salad

Slow cooker beef short ribs with cilantro

Strawberries

Butternut squash soup

Banana with cashew butter

2 cups blackberries

Coffee with coconut oil

Been losing lots of water weight - up peeing all the time. No real cravings to date. Had a great workout yesterday - 10-mile leisurely bike ride in the morning, then Crossfit and working on lifting in the afternoon.

Day 3 log.

Eggs with mushrooms and spinach

leftover beef short ribs, bunch of raw vegetables and fruit from a catering tray, some pork jerky - first time I've tried this!

steak with a mixed greens/cherries (from frozen)/avocado/pecan salad

Small amount of coconut milk as I prepared a coconut milk-based soup for today

I've been counting calories to make sure I'm not undereating and it does seem to be a problem - these first 3 days I've been hovering around 1500 calories. I don't feel that it's enough for me considering I'm quite active. I've upped my fat intake today by adding some coconut milk to go with my fruit and some macadamias. We'll see how it goes.

Day 4 log. Couldn't resist weighing myself yesterday - down 2 lbs in 2 days, to 151.6 lbs. Told myself this needs to stop, and successfully managed to avoid it this morning. Yay! Brought up my fat intake/calories yesterday, as I planned the day before.

Egg, bacon, apple

beef jerky for snacks

coconut avocado soup with crab meat (http://nomnompaleo.c...-dungeness-crab, I used canned crab because broke). Didn't actually care for this recipe too much, crab and coconut is kind of a meh combination

banana with some coconut cream

macadamias, almonds, blackberries with coconut cream

sardines pan-fried in olive oil with a mixed greens/cucumber/sauteed mushroom salad

butternut squash soup and lamb sausages

Brought up my calories to just above 2000 with that. Still finding myself ready to go to bed quite early, but getting about 8-8.5 hours of sleep on average. Tomorrow I have to be at school at 8 and am thinking of biking there (will take 30-45 minutes), so getting to bed early might not be such a bad thing.

Day 5 log.

Bacon, 2 eggs

Orange fennel and daikon salad (http://www.primalpalate.com/recipe/fennel-and-orange-salad/) - quite interesting, I'd love to try it with poppyseed dressing once Whole30 is over

Blackberries and water-packed sardines post-workout

Ground bison with a mixed greens/cucumber salad and sauteed mushrooms

Banana and 1/2 apple with cashew butter

Ground bison with sauteed mushrooms

Drank TONS of coffee today - over 2 liters! Despite having had a liter before my workout, I didn't feel as energetic as I normally would. I performed ok in terms of how fast I worked and how many reps I got, but I felt EXHAUSTED. I dropped the bar on my lifts so many times, and it was light weights (55 push-press - I can push-press over a hundred for sure). I was also really craving protein, hence all that ground bison.

Stopped at the organic store and stocked up on canned wild salmon and sardines to keep around for emergency snacks - left a can of sardines in the car.

Still no cravings for anything unhealthy!

Day 6 down. Tomorrow's going to be a challenging day - I'm working very late, likely won't be home til 5 AM, so I'll see if I can manage a nap in the afternoon. Otherwise, with this fatigue, it'll be a battle to stay awake. Took today off from the gym - tough workout tomorrow.

fennel/daikon/orange/almond/cherry salad x 2

Grassfed ground bison with sauteed mushrooms

1/2 apple with walnut butter - never tried walnut butter before, it's interesting; not as sweet as hazelnut or cashew butters

2 strips bacon, coconut milk and avocado soup with crab

Coconut "porridge" with dried apricots and almonds (http://thewholesomehome.com/?p=471)

Lots of coffee with coconut cream

Stomach feeling kind of funny for the latter half of the day. Felt ready to go to bed by 7! Very little energy lately. Upped my carbs a bit to see if it helps, but hasn't made a difference so far. On the upside, I feel quite trim and my abs are very defined, which is nice.

1 week down!!! So far, this is so much easier than I thought it'd be. *knock on wood* Yesterday was an unusual day, as I worked very late out of town and didn't get to bed til 5:45 AM.

Day 7 log.

Lamb sausage with sauteed spinach and mushrooms

pan-fried sardines with endive and cucumber, butternut squash soup

1 apple

Ground bison with mango and plantain (http://paleomg.com/plantain-mango-beef/)

2 eggs

lots of beef jerky for snacks throughout my 12-hour out-of-town foray

Lots of coffee with coconut milk

Uh oh, went over my self-imposed nut butter limit for the day! Oh well. I really need to make sure I don't eat that stuff on its own. Seems to be ok with fruit for me - the fruit seems to fill my stomach and prevent me from overeating the nut butter, and the nut butter helps lower the GI of the snack.

Day 8:

Banana with cashew butter

Sardines with endive and cucumbers

Apple w/ pecan butter

Bison with plantain and mango (same as yesterday)

Leftover fennel/daikon/orange salad, piece of pork jerky

1 heaping tbsp cashew butter and 1 heaping tbsp pecan butter

Escargot, sauteed spinach and mushrooms

Again, lots of coffee with coconut milk

Day 9 log.

Smoothie with coconut milk, strawberries, banana, spinach, and Swiss chard

Blackberries

escargot with mixed greens, cucumber, avocado, and cooked mushrooms

Ground bison with mango and plantains

Banana with hazelnut butter (finally got my shipment in! Woohoo!)

Lamb shank

Tea and coffee with coconut milk

Feeling pretty weak at the gym today. I seem to have a good energy level for day-to-day stuff now, but I continue to struggle with endurance/explosive stuff at the gym since starting Whole30. I'm normally one of the top women at my gym and recently my results have been below average. Today, I repeatedly failed lifts that are like 60% of my max - stuff I would normally consider part of my warm-up. Definitely not gonna recommend this plan to anyone who wants to increase their athletic performance!

Jochi, so sorry that nobody has piped up about your meals. I see a huge lack of quality protein and what looks to me like an excess of fruit.

Smoothies are not a suggested option. It is so much better to eat and chew whole foods.

Have you read the book or the template? They helped me tremendously. I am on W30 # 5 and I kick serious butt in the gym even after recovering from a seriously broken leg.

Do speak up if you have any questions about the program. :)

Jochi, so sorry that nobody has piped up about your meals. I see a huge lack of quality protein and what looks to me like an excess of fruit.

Smoothies are not a suggested option. It is so much better to eat and chew whole foods.

Have you read the book or the template? They helped me tremendously. I am on W30 # 5 and I kick serious butt in the gym even after recovering from a seriously broken leg.

Do speak up if you have any questions about the program. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "lack of quality protein," I'm eating meat, fish, and eggs three times a day?????? I could eat more, but then it'd translate into less fruits and vegetables.

I had stomach surgery, so I can only eat so much at once, so things tend to go bad in my fridge and I occasionally have to make smoothies out of stuff that can't be cooked, else it goes to waste. The strawberries were tasteless, so I wanted to put them in a smoothie because they were too gross to eat on their own.

I haven't read the book....to be honest, there seems to be a lot of eating disordered-type behaviour encouraged on these forums, so I don't even know if I want to read the book. I just want to eat healthy and not obsess about cornstarch in my ibuprofen or a trace of sugar in my toothpaste.

Archived