Just starting, and found out I have a conference...

Todd Davis

I have been reading the "It starts with food" book, and have committed myself to starting the Whole30 diet tomorrow (I just got back from vacation, and wanted to have my best chance of success and control over what I eat). I just found out however that I now have a conference to attend in Dallas. I'll be out there for a week, and won't have a car, and will be fed by the conference. Obviously, this is a hurdle for me, as these things tend to serve donuts and bagels for breakfast, etc. I need to be in control of my food.

My short term plan is pack as much food as I can and take it with me, but a week's worth will not be possible, and I won't have a fridge or a kitchen. I am planning on taking a taxi to the market and trying to load up daily.

I need some tips if anyone has any. I want to succeed at this challenge, and don't want to put it off even longer, as I figure something else will just come up. I just need to overcome it.

Any thoughts on what I can either pack well and have it "keep" for a few days, or what I can pickup from the market daily?

This happened to me last year as I was just starting my first Whole30. I had zero control of my options, no way to get to a grocery store, etc. Honestly, I decided just to start when I got back, but to keep every meal I could manage during the conference compliant. It meant buying hotel breakfasts (they'll always make you some meat and eggs) and not eating the free stuff, but I managed to keep 2/3 meals per day "clean", and when I got home I did my first Whole30 shopping and hit the ground running.

I know some people pack little coolers of W30 food that last them the whole time, but when I'm already flying with a laptop and my suit and my conference materials and stressing about my conference "performance" I find it just pushes it over the top to be "W30 perfect" at the same time.

I'm actually just starting out with Whole30 too. I have been doing Paleo since the beginning of the year and I travel every week M-Th for work. When I started Paleo, I would request a fridge be placed in my room when I check in. Prior to arriving to the hotel, I would swing by a grocery store and pick up things like: fruit, veggies, nitrite free cold cuts, rotisserie chicken, and almond butter. I also stock up on Lara bars but I'm not sure about them on Whole30 because of they start going into the realm of dried fruits.

The only thing I dislike about the fridge is that it can at times be loud if the hotel has an older mini fridge. You might luck out and there is a mini bar in the room. You can also remove the contents and use the fridge and then place the items back before you leave. You can let the hotel know you are going to do this so they don't charge you for the items.

I'm a professional meeting planner, and love to accommodate people with food requests. I once had an event of 100 people, 40 of which had different combinations of gluten/dairy/egg/vegetarian/raw diets. It was crazy. Chef and I worked out the menu to have a the same common denominator (basically a bed of greens), and then we did a grilled chicken breast with non-dairy sauces on the side, or chickpea patties. Everyone was happy. I've also done a salad bar for groups. Chefs were more likely to work with me on pricing for something like a salad bar than have to do 100 variations of a plated lunch for people on different diets.

I would contact the management of the conference and tell them that you are “gluten and dairy intolerantâ€, and ask them what will be served at the conference that are appropriate? (That way, you're not sounding like you need them to accommodate YOU, specifically, and you're sounding like you're sure they have their game together.) Also, meeting planners are starting to ask about dietary restrictions on the registration forms.

• 2 weeks later...

I would contact the management of the conference and tell them that you are “gluten and dairy intolerantâ€, and ask them what will be served at the conference that are appropriate?

That is an excellent idea. Most hotels understand gluten free. I usually talk to the catering contact ahead of time to let them know. I have been stuck at conferences with terrible food, especially when their idea of healthy is super-sweetened yogurt. It isn't a bad idea to pack a cooler of compliant food like hard boiled eggs, coconut milk, almond butter and veggies. The best thing about eating this way at a conference is that time at 3:00 where everyone has a crash from their carb-heavy meal, you will be still feeling strong!

Archived