Canker Sores...

Hi!

I'm wondering how many of you experienced canker sores and saw them go away after removing gluten from your diet. I probably get 1 or 2 a month right around ovulation time...I always linked them to hormones but now I'm wondering.

I also have severe breast tenderness that goes with PMS and have experienced 2 miscarriages. I'm wondering if there is a link between the three.

*Specifically wondering about the sores though, if you had them, how often, and if they went away.

Thanks!

Yes, I get them often and mine aren't related to hormones as far as I can tell.

I don't remember getting them very often when I was living on a primarily Japanese diet, so I did wonder if it was related to gluten. I had a blood test for coeliac done before I cut out gluten, which came back negative. And canker sores turned up on day 11 and day 12 of my Whole30, so it's looking like, for me they're unrelated to gluten. (I also haven't had any citrus and am eating loads of veg, so I highly doubt that it's some sort of nutritional deficiency.)

But from all the research I've done it seems that no one really knows why some people get canker sores and it is just genetic with some people. When I was looking into coeliac disease there were some mentions about frequent miscarriages possibly being related to it, but you're probably best off going and having a chat with your doctor.

(And don't cut out gluten before you get a blood test for coeliac disease, as you need to be consuming gluten for the test to work)

Thanks!

I did have a blood test done for coeliac several months ago which came back negative...of course I hadn't been eating gluten for several weeks. Dumb!

I had blook drawn Monday (16 vials!) and my high risk OB is doing all sorts of tests on it. I should get results back in a week or so. We've have 2 miscarriages in the past year but have a healthy 2 year old.

I have greatly reduced the amount of gluten I eat but I still have it. The cankers sores are so annoying and I have already switched to a non-SLS toothpaste.

I used to get canker sores all. the. time.

My naturopath told me it had to do with a ph imbalance in the gut. I was diagnosed with two intolerance's. One is potato and the other is a fruit/sugar combination (I cannot have sugar and fruit within 8 hours of each other). This seemed a little hoaky to me at first, but let me tell you - I never get canker sores any more unless I break the "rules". I haven't eaten a potato in 3 years and I rarely eat sugar. I do notice that for the past year of being grain free I can tolerate some dark chocolate on occasion without the canker sores. I think this is because my gut health has greatly improved with the grain free lifestyle approach and I'm just not as sensitive as I used to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I got allergy tests and found out that I am sensitive to dairy, gluten and eggs I quit eating those and have probably only had 2 canker sores in the past 6 months. This is amazing because I was almost never without at least one since I was a kid. I got them soooo badly and tried everything to get rid of them. I'm convinced my food sensitivities were the cause, it it well worth finding out if you have food sensitivities, everything will improve, probably even your hormones. I did it through a naturopath and had blood tests. Good luck!

Archived