Foot tendonitis

dianavuong

I've been battling peroneal tendonitis on my right foot for the last couple of weeks. I saw an orthopedist and he told me to just rest, ice, and take NSAIDs. Anyway, it's getting slightly better but not completely healed. I have a 10 mile race on Sunday that I would really like to run and would be terribly sad and disappointed if I have to miss it, but I plan to be smart and safe.. I won't run it if my foot is still hurting.

Is there anything you guys can recommend that may help me heal faster and reduce the inflammation? Can I try bone brother? Will some Omega 3 help? Feeling quite desperate right now...

This isn't going to be what you want to hear, but I would skip the race and give your body time to heal. It's better to be sad and disappointed for a little while than to be unable to exercise at all and to be in pain for an extended period of time. If you take painkillers, you might feel ok and be able to finish the race, but you're just fooling yourself and you'll pay for it by aggravating your tendonitis and being out of action for months.

Recovering from tendonitis is very difficult because it requires a combination of patience and complete rest. Acupuncture can help with recovery but it won't make you better by Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a similar boat, wondering what I could eat/remove to facilitate healing of plantar faciitis I had been struggling with from August to about mid March. I eliminated nuts in addition to everything else (hoping also to rememdy a sore shoulder that I was told by orthopaedist "tendonitis).

What I discovered is I was seeing the wrong doctors (that did not have wholistic healing methods) as that is more of my approach. I HAD loved my podiatrist, however, finally I stopped running (did 3 triathlons on naproxin) and switched to an osteopath/chiropractor who told me I was wearing the wrong kind of orthodics and wrong kind of running sneaker (not sure what my podiatrist was thinking with giving me a cortisone shot and telling me i could run- and the inserts he was prescribing). when i switched running shoes etc that is when it cleared up. i eat nuts (not to excess) i have not gone back to running yet, do not take naproxin, I do take wobenzyme for inflammation... and my feet are happier than they have been in months!

i agree with carolinaBlue, skip the race and let your body heal. you will just do more damage to the (what should be) the soft tissue in your feet.

oh, and my shoulder issue, turns out was not any type of rotator cuff inflammation- again, bad judgement of dr. who wanted to operate and inject cortisone. turns out i have two separated shoulder joints.

Archived