Whole30 log

janetdawn

Day 1 today! I've been looking forward to this. On the way home from a work conference today. I read "It Starts With Food" on the way out here (DC to San Francisco). Really loved it. I especially love the "good day/ bad day" vignettes. Reading those, it's like- who wouldn't try this??!

Being a yoga practitioner/ teacher, I've always been interested in eating clean(ly). I've tried other plans/ cleanses and have had mixed success. I have always had blood sugar regulating issues and think this will be a good fit. Some of the other plans advocated not eating much early on- and I realize how that's not good for our bodies, in the long run.

I'm excited to be starting and am glad there is a forum to support and connect!

About to take the trip home, so we'll see how Whole 30 friendly the airports/ airplane can be. More soon...

Day 3-

Woke up this morning feeling completely exhausted. I can't remember the last time it was so difficult to get up! Now it could be that my 3 year old woke up around 4am and it took me some time to get back to sleep after helping her go to the bathroom, but I also imagine it could be the day 2-3 side effects as well. Day 2 I did't really feel any side effects, and other than having a hard time getting started today, I haven't really been feeling any other side effects.

I really love eating this way. I usually have a pretty healthy, low-glten, low-sugar diet, so it's not too drastic of a change.

Here are meals from the last 2 days

Friday:

Breakfast- Scrambled eggs and turkey bacon and a small coffee

Lunch- Kale salad with chicken, a hard boiled egg, and guac

Dinner- Zucchini noodles with olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, and chicken sausage- with a glass of kombucha

After dinner herbal tea

Yum!

I also had a few nuts for a snack and a couple of dried apricots

Saturday (Today):

Breakfast- 2 hard boiled eggs and a chicken and apple salad- and a small coffee

Lunch- Crudites, 2 hard boiled eggs, and an avocado

Dinner- beef stew in the oven

I've been feeling energized and healthy- don't know how else to describe it.

Also this is giving me a chance to explroe the coffee connoisseur that's been hiding inside. I usually LOVE wine. All types. So I thought it would be hard to give that up, which it probalby will be- come day 15 or day 10. But I am replacing that urge by exploring the amazing world of coffee. When I was in San Francisco, I had some of their local coffee and learned about some new coffee brewing tips. So when I got home I ordrered a burr grinder and single drip cone online. I also am exploring some of the locally roasted beans. What a treat! So this, so far (day 3 :) has been enough to temper my wine cravings. Hopefully this will continue to do so...

Day 4:

So far so good. Funny I dreamt about cupcakes with buttercream frosting last night. I was helping a friend prepare for a shower and ate some. Then I realized I had cheated on the plan and felt horrible. Then I woke up. I read Day 4's Whole30 Daily email, and it said something about vivid dreams about sweets. Funny how my side effects are like clockwork!

Feeling good today. Taught yoga and came home and played with my toddler. She's napping and now, and I might take one myself, shortly :)

I must admit, I really love this so far. I'm anxiously waiting the difficult periods- because I know they'll come.

Today:

Breakfast: 2 HB eggs and some cut raw veggies

Lunch: sweet potato hash made in ghee with onion and chicken and apple sausage.

Dinner- not sure yet- but probably left over beef stew from last night or a salad.

Since I was travelling I took a week off of yoga. I will start again bring and early tomorrow and will see how integrating that affects how I'm feeling. Before I took some time off, I had been suffering from some injuries and chronic aches and pains. That is one of the reasons I decided to start this Whole30. To see if eating different has an effect on the injuries. I'll start slowly and see if those nagging aches and pains come back or if they were a by-product of my eating patterns and don't resurface. Fingers crossed...

I must admit, I really love this so far. I'm anxiously waiting the difficult periods- because I know they'll come.

I feel the same way: I'm on my fifth day and I keep saying things like "I love this food" and "I feel so good" and then I get a bit nervous that it's going too well or I'm feeling too confident and something bad will happen. And then I think I shouldn't be waiting for something bad to happen because I'm kind of telling it to happen. Is that what they call a self-fulfilling prophecy?

But in all seriousness, yay for enjoying your food and the program! Fingers crossed the aches and pains are on their way out :)

I remember having a dream when I was pg with my son where I drank three or four drinks and smoked cigarettes (which I hadn't done in years) before I remembered I was pregnant. Phew! Such relief on waking up. But the fear of transgression stayed with me for a long time.

I have chronic knee pain (torn and repaired and torn again AcL, meniscus damage, etc.) and IT band issues. Seemed to definitely improve over my W30. Even when I did feel some pain, I noticed faster recovery.

</br>Sounds like you are doing great. :D

Thanks Beets! Isn't that funny how real the dreams feel- and the feeling did last a long time!

I'm glad your knee pain improved when on the Whole30. Today's yoga practice was much more pain free than it has been over the past few months.

Day 6:

Thanks Beets and Percypat for your encouraging comments!

Wow, last night was a challenge! I went to a Whiskey bar (for dinner) with my dad and husband. I do love some whiskey from time to time, but stuck to the drink invented by Melissa Joulwan- club soda, limes and olives. Except the waitress forgot the limes, so it ended up being club soda and olives, which was delish!

Still feeling good, although the urge to snack has crept up. I've had some grapes and veggies today as snacks.

Food log-

Breakfast: 2 eggs and chicken sausage

Lunch: Salad with HB eggs, turkey, blueberries, strawberries and olive oil and vinegar.

Dinner: TBA but probably sweet potato hash and eggs.

Day 7:

Almost done with Day 7- hard to believe.

Today's food

Breakfast: 2 HB eggs (w/ home made mayo), 1/2 chicken sausage, coffee

Lunch: Chipotle salad with carnicitas and guac

Dinner: Salad with mayo w curry powder, 1 egg and grapes

Made mayo for the first time this morning. Love it! Had it on a HB egg this morning and thought about it all day. Then had more as dressing on a salad for dinner. It turns out it was really easy to make and turned out the perfect consistency and flavor. I might add a little more mustard next time, but besides that I don't know that I'd change anything. Also looking forward to adding flavors. On the salad tonight, I mixed a couple of TBSPs of mayo with curry powder and it was great on the grapes in the salad! Think I might make chicken salad with that mayo mixture and raisins or grapes in the next day or two.

Feel great today. Glad to have week one done...

Good to get that first week in the bag, huh? I felt so please with myself when I went to bed last night!

You've given me the final push I needed to try making my own mayo. Hope it turns out as well as yours :)

It's been awhile since I've posted- very busy with work and life...

Can't believe it's already day 15!

Today's food:

Breakfast- Blueberries, chicken sausage, spinach, decaf coffee

Lunch- Salad with tuna, blueberries, pecans, oil and vinegar and some homemade coconut flake chips

Dinner- Pork in the slow cooker with veggies and probably some homemade mayo

I've been feeling great, but I don't know that it's that much better than how I'd been feeling. I noticed a huge difference in the first week, when I cut out sugar and alcohol. I think those are my 2 main issues. But since then, it's pretty much been a plateau. Don't get me wrong, it's a good plateau- a nice place to be :) But the way I've been feeling hasn't really changed much. Does that mean I'm not there yet? Or just that I wasn't suffering as much from certain foods?

Regardless, it's nice.

One thing, however, is that I think I may have gained weight, if anything. I usually don't eat this much substantial food, and maybe that has something to do with it. My pre Whole30 diet was pretty much a smoothie in the morning, salad or leftovers for lunch, anything for dinner and then snacking at night.

Archived