I am starting the Whole30 tomorrow and I am nervous

Taylor

I am a road warrier, traveling 3-5 days most weeks for my job. I used to ski, run and cycle a lot but work started consming my life in my 40's and my stress levels sky-rocketed. I developed insomnia. I started suffering from gastrointestinal problems and when I hit 45 I started putting on weight in my stomach. I am now 51 years old, 5'8'' and weigh 180lbs. I feel awful. My joints ache and I suffer from depression. I am edgy and I lose my temper for stupid reasons. I am becoming reclusive.

I have been a Farm-toTable eater for about 7 years. When home, I only eat grassfed, ethically raised meat from my farmers market, pastured chicken and eggs along with seasonal fruit and veggies from my CSA. I read labels on everything and I won't touch condiments with HFCS and chemicals. I make my own ketchup. I avoided starchy foods and I am a big protien and green veggie eater. Sugar is not much of a problem for me but I do eat heaps of whole grains and "lots" of cheese. Oatmeal was my safe food at hotels.

I started going to Cross Fit in March and I was introduced to The Paleo Solution. I have been about 90% successful over the past few months at following Paleo eating but I have not been committed. I have a few problems. One is a cup of coffee in the morning with cream or breve latte's and the other is alcohol. I don't drink much but I do love beer, wine and occassionally bourbon. I am a person that derives great pleasure cooking for friends and I love pairing wine and beer with the food I make. It is my only social outlet so it pains me to give it up. I have gone 30 days without alcohol before with no impact or health improvement but never in conjuction with the removal of all grains and dairy.

I started reading "It Starts with Food" on Friday night when I got home from work and I finished it an hour ago. Everything made sense and being a decisive woman, I committed to start tomorrow. I am determined to succeed. I want to feel better and I want to look like the athlete I once was.

Wish me luck :)

Best of luck! You have so much to gain from this approach to eating and to life! I would definitely suggest you not give up eating with friends and socializing. You can do that without the alcohol fo sure! Serve your friends delicious, Whole30 approved meals! They'll love you for it. :)

Day 3 and I feel fine. I am not having trouble finding things to eat but I am also home this week. I don't feel like I am missing much in the food department but I will admit that I really miss being able to have a glass of wine or a really fantastic craft beer; especially on a holiday. But I am determined to make it through 30 days and I know I can do it so I will settle for some sparkling water with dinner tonight.

Next Monday I leave for a work trip and things will get much more challenging then. I will be working at a pro tennis tournament for 12 hours a day, Monday thru Friday. I am planning to pick up a little picnic cooler when I get to Northern CA so I can pick up some food to take with me each day. I'm considering it an adventure!

Archived