Insatiable 5yo, before and after W30- What to feed him??

Hello there :) Today is day 37 for my husband and I, day 7 for our kids (3, 5, 7)! Question regarding my 5yo... No matter what he eats, he is hungry all.the.time!! He had a growth spurt over 2 months ago and recently had bloodwork to rule out thyroid and other issues, his hunger is that bad. What/how should I feed him??

Typical day for him is eat 2 or 3 servings worth of breakfast (protien, fat, veggies and fruit) at 7. Beg for more food after 10 minutes. Snack at 9:30 (fruit and nuts), continue to beg for food. Lunch at 10:30 (protien, fat, veg, fruit) since his bus comes at 11. School snack at like 1:30 (veg/fruit/nuts/olives in some combo), even his teacher asked me to send more food for snack, because he is sooo hungry. Home 3:45 begging for food, gets a 3rd snack. Dinner at 4:30 (protien, fat, veg, fruit), has 2 or 3 servings worth of dinner. Begs for food 10 minutes after he is done. 4th snack at 6:30, bedtime at 7. He also drinks plenty of water throughout the day.

He is a lean, muscular and active child. His bottomless pit for a stomach started a few months back and I see no end in sight. If he isn't eating, he is begging for more food or going on and on about when he can eat again. Help!

Jen

Hi! I have had that x5 at my house. We are on day 20, and it SEEMS to be getting better. I have really cut out a lot of the fruit, someone explained to me that the sweet just makes them hungry and doesn't satisfy true hunger as well. I will offer another serving of our meal (protein, fat, veg,) and if they aren't hungry enough for that, then I think they are full, but just want to eat sweet. Having said that, even on the day my daughter ate sweet potato/beef hash with FOUR eggs, she said she was hungry an hour later.

It is still a bit of a mystery to me, but at day 20, they seemed satisfied this morning with eggs/sausage, and a smoothie with coconut milk. It almost seems like it has taken their bodies this long to adjust to receiving such good food. I really thought they ate well before, but I think I underestimated how much extra sugar via school snacks (bday cupcakes, treats, etc from teachers) and the amount of extras I was letting them get away with when we ate out. Their bodies were really not used to this quality, or staying so far away from the sugar. I think we will have a pretty smooth transition to eating like this all the time when the 30 days is officially over though, because we have done this hard work up front.

Hoping a moderator pops up, they have good info! Good luck! Try to fill him up with extra fat anyway you can get it in his body. :)

Hi! I have had that x5 at my house. We are on day 20, and it SEEMS to be getting better. I have really cut out a lot of the fruit, someone explained to me that the sweet just makes them hungry and doesn't satisfy true hunger as well. I will offer another serving of our meal (protein, fat, veg,) and if they aren't hungry enough for that, then I think they are full, but just want to eat sweet. Having said that, even on the day my daughter ate sweet potato/beef hash with FOUR eggs, she said she was hungry an hour later.

It is still a bit of a mystery to me, but at day 20, they seemed satisfied this morning with eggs/sausage, and a smoothie with coconut milk. It almost seems like it has taken their bodies this long to adjust to receiving such good food. I really thought they ate well before, but I think I underestimated how much extra sugar via school snacks (bday cupcakes, treats, etc from teachers) and the amount of extras I was letting them get away with when we ate out. Their bodies were really not used to this quality, or staying so far away from the sugar. I think we will have a pretty smooth transition to eating like this all the time when the 30 days is officially over though, because we have done this hard work up front.

Hoping a moderator pops up, they have good info! Good luck! Try to fill him up with extra fat anyway you can get it in his body. :)

You nailed it here! If this continues after a month, there might be something to worry about. I would just chalk it up to their little bodies being greedy for good food. Limit fruit, increase fats and protein :)

Archived