How do I make avocados not so gross?

Avocados are tricky. I usually just go with raw eggs....well, some times.

With a half or a whole avocado there is something that you taste in the back of the throat, similar to if you have a shot of olive oil that can be tough to overcome. I like to use sea salt and Tabasco and that usually works for me, some times a dash of lime juice probably because I'm afraid it will turn brown more than anything else. For breakfast, I love a soft boiled egg in the space where the pit was with some nice crunchy salt.

It's a one and a half trick poney; avocados are great as guacamole (also good just with garlic (lots) and olive oil/lime juice) or plain and plain is not to everyone's taste so you need to mix it into things. I've never heard of anyone actually enhancing the taste of avocado by cooking it (I've tried) so it's pretty limited what you can do with it.

There are a lot of folks around here who absolutely swear by coconut butter. I'm a little a'skeered to try it because I have a feeling it might become an addictive substance for me. (In the interest of full disclosure, if I don't eat at least one whole avocado if not two per day I consider the day poorly spent. So, technically, I'm meeting my fat requirements quite well. :lol: )

I'm with you Amy. Coconut butter is absolutely dreamy but I have to fight myself to have only a little bit. I don't know if I will buy it again. As for avocados - I once planned poorly and ran out of avocados. It was another two days before I could get my hands on some ripe ones. Not having an avocado at breakfast is worse than not having coffee. :P

I wonder if you are eating your avocado overripe? They should still be slightly firm...you should be able to make a dent in the skin with your finger but not push right through...

I generally slice mine and serve beside whatever my meal is...sprinkled with salt and lemon or lime is my favourite. I personally think avocado goes with just about everything!

Archived