Probiotic ingredient check

Anna Hughes_6519

So, I know there are plenty of discussions of probiotics out there, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a good website to do ingredient checks? My Whole30 started about 90 days ago, but I still had issues, so first eliminated FODMAPS and then went on AIP about two weeks ago. Between the two, all digestive and skin issues cleared up. Everything I've reintroduced so far (butternut squash, beetroot, avocado, tinned tomato) has induced digestive issues, to varying degrees. So I thought I might go back to using a probiotic to enable my gut to heal some more. I checked the one I used to take, and it has fructo-oligosaccharides, which I'm assuming comes under the FODMAP category!! I found a new one with these ingredients:

Filler: micro-crystalline cellulose; Probiotic culture: (Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM®, Lactobacillus paracasei Lpc-37, Bifidobacterium lactis Bi-07, Bifidobacterium lactis Bl-04, Bifidobacterium bifidum Bb-02); Vegetarian capsule: hydroxypropyl methylcellulose; Anticaking agents: (magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide).

but don't know how to check about the effects of the less recognisable ones. A bit more history: Realised gluten intolerance just over 2 years ago and took probiotics and digestive enzymes for about a year after eliminating gluten.Started Whole30 in February this year and have stuck to it while experimenting with above-mentioned eliminations, apart from the occasional sugar in smoked salmon!

As an aside - have started taking magnesium (as a spray) but haven't seen the beneficial effects on sleep - I get to sleep ok but still have crazy dreams and wake several times in the night. Anyone else experienced this??

I'm sorry you're dealing with this stuff! I wish I knew about the probiotics and digestive enzymes, but I know a lot of folks around here talk about them, so someone will chime in I'm sure.

I take magnesium chelate and I can take much more mag this way than any other way. It works great for all sorts of things including sleep, and it doesn't, err, do what milk of magnesia does, if you get my meaning. I take this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BD0RT0/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hmmm... I've just read this brand can't guarantee gluten free. Back to the drawing board...

Can you link me to where you read this? I would like to get the info too - I definitely need to take magnesium and I prefer chelated mag; but I also prefer to avoid gluten if possible. Thanks!

I am guess you may not be in the US, so this info may not help. I saw my GI doc on Monday and one of my questions was about probiotics and digestive enxymes. She already has me on a loading dose of magnesium citrate. I take it in pill form and tolerate it well. although my sleep has shifted recently and I too have very vivd dreams, now, and they are generally disturbing.

Back to probiotics. I went to ask about the Allergen Free Jarrow ones versus the Jarrow FOS ones. These have been recommended in the Whole9 blog and I was curious which ones to get. I can buy them locally. She gave me samples of some medical grade ones that she "said" are the only ones with clinical evidence. The product is called VSL#3. It is non-prescription, but is behind the counter at the pharmacy due to cost and refrigeration. My pharmacy has to order it, which gives me time to ask my doctor if she can prescribe it so that my health spending account will pay.

Sadly, I have been able to find any info about the ingredients. I dod know that it has more than 10x the number of live organisms as compared to the Jarrow brand. And, rather than having tons of random strains added, it has 3 species and 8 strains of probiotics, which is sort of supposed to be good from what I remember from the blog. And, it is in a vegetable capsule that can be opened to put into liquid.

That's as much as I know about it to date. I wanted to share to see if it might help you with your search. The references and studies related to this product may help you learn more of what you need to learn.

It appears as though I have a lot to learn from you as I am pretty fresh on this journey.

Archived