Please share your favorite Curry recipes here!

edgymama

My favorite curries are Indian ones such as Chicken tikka, Butter Chicken, etc...but also those found in Japan (Coco's Curry if anyone is familiar, I believe they also have in Hawaii and California). I also enjoy the traditional chip shop curry sauce heavily found in England.....

So please share any faves that taste similar! I always resorted to jar and pouch sauces before and would love simple healthier recipes for these sauces. Thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

Here is one I made the other evening. I adore curries too!

My Recipe Today: Some Kind of Asian Yummy Soup

Ingredients: (eyeball it all or taste until it is as you like it)

1 LB.Ground chicken

Ghee or coconut oil

1 Small zucchini, sliced thinly

1 Yellow Onion, diced

1 clove garlic, diced

1 potato, thinly sliced (peeled if you like)

Mild curry or hotter if you prefer

Some fresh basil

1 can Whole coconut Milk

Chicken Stock ( WATCH OUT! Almost all stock has added sugar or honey. I used Swanson Stock)

In a medium sized pot brown chicken, drain and put aside in a bowl (the chicken....not the pot! )

Put coconut oil or ghee into the pot, just a bit so the veg does not stick and cook all veg except the basil, until it is limp.

Add curry until you have a nice reddish tint.

Add coconut milk and enough broth to make a soup.

Add chicken back in and cook until potatoes done

Stir in the basil and serve.

• 1 month later...

I made this last night, had it for dinner tonight and it was delicious...

1 rotisserie chicken (or cook your own, but I was on a time-crunch-I checked the ingredients, made sure it was compliant!)

Mayo (I made a jar last night)

celery (finely chopped)

golden raisins (check the label!!)

curry powder

Take all the meat off the bones, put in bowl (sans skin, which I ate while I shredded). Mix in mayo, celery, raisins and curry powder to taste. Add a pinch of salt, and mix well! You can also add in finely chopped green apple and walnuts. I served mine in little peppers that I seeded and sliced in half lengthwise.

This is one that I have adapted from Worthcooking.net

Coconut Chicken and Veggie Stew

Serves: 4-6

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1½ teaspoon cumin seeds
  • ¼ rounded teaspoon fenugreek seeds
  • ¼ teaspoon cardamon seeds*
  • *I cut open my cardamon pods and removed the black seeds as that is what I had.
  • ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
  • ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
  • 6 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 large vidalia onion, chopped
  • 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" cubes
  • 1 tablespoon garam marsala or spice of choice (I use aji Amarillo sauce)
  • 2½ teaspoons salt
  • 2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 1 cup coconut milk (the creamier the better)
  • ½ pound frozen broccoli or green beans or green veggie of choice
  • Cilantro to garnish, optional

Instructions
  1. Heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add all of the seeds. Cook until they smell aromatic and the fenugreek turns a light golden (you don't want dark brown as they get bitter). The seeds might begin to pop, which is good, but watch the fenugreek.
  2. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger + a heavy pinch salt. Cook, while stirring for about 3 minutes until they begin to be translucent. If they are browning turn down the heat.
  3. Add the chicken, garam marsala (or preferred spice sauce), and 1 teaspoon of the salt and cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until the chicken is is mostly cooked. (Turn up the heat if you previously turned it down).
  4. Add the coconut milk, bay leaves, and carrots and another teaspoon of salt. Turn the heat up to bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cover and simmer until the carrots are tender (appr 10-15 minutes) stir frequently as there is not much broth.
  5. Remove the lid, if you want a brothy stew/stoup you can add the green veggie and just cook through. If you want it super thick, like pictured, turn the heat up and boil most of the broth until the bubbles look hefty (appr 4-5 minutes). Stir frequently as it has a tendency to burn otherwise. Add the green veggies and the rest of the salt and cook through.

It is one of my favorite meals!

This one makes my tummy pretty happy..... and it's all leftovers.

Stir fry any fresh vegs that you have in the fridge (celery, peppers, carrots, string beans, onions, zucchini...... )

If you don't have fresh vegs, toss in any cooked, but al dente vegs that you have lying around.

Toss in any cooked meat that you want to use up, cut into small-ish pieces. Chicken is good, but I have chopped up leftover hamburgers, as well as roast beef.

Add coconut cream till half (or mostly) covered.

Add curry powder in whatever amount you need to get the taste you like.

Heat through.

Can be served on cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles.

I think the trick is to use up anything in your fridge that can be cooked (or heated) to about the same texture, then stir in coconut cream and curry. I am betting you could blend it too, and call it soup.  :)

Steph from Stupid Easy Paleo posted a Whole30 (thai) chicken pumpkin curry this week - it looks amazing! 

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2015/09/13/chicken-pumpkin-thai-curry-recipe-paleo-whole30/ 

I know Melissa Joulwan has some great curry recipes in her books Well Fed and Well Fed 2. 

Here's some from her website:

Paleo Rogan Josh  http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/07/13/paleo-rogan-josh/ 

Taj Mahal Turkey Curry http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/11/28/taj-mahal-turkey/

South Indian Curry http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/11/south-indian-curry/

• 6 months later...

Hey guys,

You can make a South Indian(Kerala) Prawn curry using the below instructions.

INGREDIENTS
  • Medium sized Prawns deveined & cleaned 500 gms
  • Coconut milk-200 ml
  • Mustard seeds-1 tsp
  • Cumin seeds-1 tsp
  • Oil-1 tsp
  • Garlic-2 cloves
  • Turmeric-1 tsp
  • Fresh Red or Green Chilli-2-chopped
  • Salt to taste or 1 1/2 tsp
  • Onion-1 large-chopped
  • Curry leaves-10-15 leaves
  • Kokum-2 pieces/Tamarind pulp-1 tbsp/Lemon juice-1 tbsp
  • Pepper-1 tsp(optional)

RECIPE
  1. Heat a pot on medium flame. Add the oil.Heat for 5 seconds
  2. Add the mustard seeds and cumin.When they start to splutter add the curry leaves.chilli and garlic.Saute for 10-15 seconds.
  3. Add the onion and sauté till they are light brown or golden.This should take 1-2 minutes.
  4. Add the cleaned prawn,Coconut milk and kokum or tamarind or lemon juice.Add ¼ cup of water.
  5. Season with salt and pepper.Add turmeric.
  6. Bring it to boil and cook till the prawns turn orange.

regards

Foodcow

www.foodcow.org

Archived