Sugar

C6H12O6Addict

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the community.

About myself- I am a nurse in a busy ICU with high stress. I am 29 years old and am in the process of applying to graduate school for nursing anesthesia. I am doing the whole 30 with my wife to try and clean myself up. Here is what I experience on a daily basis:

Poor sleep, rashes, IBS, skin irritations, tired all the time, joint and back aches, permanent seasonal allergies, and the list goes on. OHHH...and bad breath oddly enough.

I am now on my 3rd redo of whole 30, as I have given in to my one weakness...sugar...and form of it, be it fruit, cake, cookies, artificial sweeteners and so on. My first cheat was 3 days in and I caved into red velvet cake and a piece of those large baked cookies that a person gets for their birthday. For me, when I get that bite after dealing with work stress, I feel amazing! So I get more. Then I feel like ultimate crap.

The second cheat was cookies...12 of them and to top it off, coffee creamer. Creamer has been hard to give up because I live on coffee to get me through my shift, So here I am starting over again and need some feedback from anyone who has the same or similar issues. I want to see what 30 days feels like but I don' t think I';ll ever make it,

Thanks,

C6H12O6Addict

You will make it if you try really really hard. It's about not giving in to the wantiness.

I used to rely on instant coffee and dark chocolate to get me thought the day, but the less you eat the less you'll want it (in time) and as your body is re-energised by good healthy food the less you'll need it too.

Best of luck to you.

I feel your pain. I've eaten fairly little grain over the last several months and thought that I wasn't eating much sugar... until I tried to give it up completely. I didn't have much of a problem with the wheat/grain, but sugar has been like trying kick heroin (well, I assume). A few nights before I officially started the Whole 30, but was trying to to eat more or less paleo, I found myself in the garage at midnight shoving white chocolate chips into my mouth from a five year old bag I I found in the bottom of a drawer. Yeah, cookie monster ain't got sh*t on me.

Anyway, I've suffered skin irritations, fatigue, poor sleep, and seasonal allergies for most of my life as well. Acupuncture/herbs took care of the allergies and if I don't eat much wheat, they don't seem to come back, or if they do, very mildly - a quick round of some horrible concoction my TCM doc gives me takes care of that. As for the other stuff...

I'm only in day 6 (actually, day 1 again, as I accidentally ate wheat yesterday), and my sleep is improving, energy levels are better, and haven't had itchy skin. Today I almost lost it to the sugar jones though. One of the things I've found that help is to think about eating a meal of meat and veggies every time I start craving sweets (this was a suggestion in one of the Whole30 daily emails). If I actually want to eat said meat and vegetables, it means I'm actually hungry and will go find something compliant to sate my hunger. Conversely, if it doesn't sound appetizing, it means I'm just craving sweets. Interestingly, just the act of acknowledging that I'm not hungry helps calm the craving. When I do eat and am wanting something sweet, I'll have a little fruit with the meal (I've found things I really like pineapple or mango help ease the cravings most).

Finally, it also helps just to refocus on why you're doing this (again, one of the Whole30 suggestions). I just remind myself that my desire for a flatter stomach, better health, and better performance is stronger than my desire for sugar. Although, sometimes the sugar almost wins; it's like being possessed - that cookie hissing at me "eat me! eat me!"

Anyway, if anyone else has other suggestions for dealing with the sugar monster, I'd love to hear them as well!

Wine is my sugar demon (and Diet Coke ran a close second) ....and they are also how I destress from crazy days. (marriage&family therapist)

I'm on Day 15 and not a drop of either so far. Which I'm simultaneously shocked by and proud of.

I've been using a trick I read on another thread....think of them as old friends. You don't want to live with them or be around them all the time, but it doesn't mean you won't ever see them again - you'll visit them soon enough. So yesterday when I had to drive by a Sonic Drive-in SIX times and I could hear their perfect ice and giant Diet Cokes calling my name - I just thought about how lovely they will taste at the END of the 30 days. And how much better I was going to feel at the end of the day to know that I was empowered...not deprived.

I know full well that I might decide to never have another one at the end of all this, but that's then. Right now, I just tell myself "later, you can have one later...after you finish this commitment you have made to yourself."

And hey, third time's a charm, right?

Good luck!!

@ Zak,

Sounds like we have a lot of similarities. I can only walk by a tray of cookies so many times before I eventually cave in. The sugar dragons need to be slayed.

I am the same, not too hard to cut out wheat. I usually sub in sweet potatoes. But I have been also trying to not eat fruit when I want sugar, as I am telling myself that it is ok to eat sugar when I want it. This is hard because I love to grab a handful of grapes to help.

Haha, a 5 yr old bag of chips huh? Honestly, I would have done the same. When we were doing just Paleo and able to have the paleo choc chips, I would easily devour a ton of those without remorse.

My issue is I give in and at the time it feels awesome, but later is when I pay (ie. bloating). I need to find a way to say no to it. Even something as simple as one splenda tastes so good in a coffee, and later on it catches up to me.

@ Jaylee,

Wine huh? Well. I can't say I couldn't go for a sweet white glass. I love grapes! As for the coffee dilemma, unless it is espresso with the richness and creaminess, it is very difficult to drink black. I have coconut milk I can use, but not really a fan of it. I usually do cream and one splenda as well. I have heard of some people using clarified butter. Have you ever tried it in coffee or know anyone who has? I can withstand a black cup with cream and hold the splenda, but splenda and no cream is harder.

I am not sure if I will try to stay black after whole 30 or try to transition into maybe honey or creamer. Maybe if I can make the perfect brew I can avoid it.

Yes 3rd time is a charm for most, but me it could be 5 or 6!

@Derval,

Instant tastes pretty good. Before whole 30 we were doing Paleo and dark chocolate was okay. In the best of both worlds, dark chocolate in my coffee could substitute splenda and cream altogether. The sugar dragons are so evil. The one thing that can help me avoid sugar is chewing gum, but there is no natural gum. Do you know of any?

@Derval,

Instant tastes pretty good. Before whole 30 we were doing Paleo and dark chocolate was okay. In the best of both worlds, dark chocolate in my coffee could substitute splenda and cream altogether. The sugar dragons are so evil. The one thing that can help me avoid sugar is chewing gum, but there is no natural gum. Do you know of any?

Today top tip :) If you click the multiqoute button at the end of each post you can reply to different people in the one post.

No natural gum as far as I know, but we're discouraged from chewing when not eating food anyway, it sends all kind of confusing signals to the brain & belly.

You absolutely can do this. Also, think how bloody proud of yourself you'll be if you see it through for 30 days. Try herbal teas - some can taste quite sweet (if you like liquorice), without hammering yourself on the coffee front, and obviously avoid the need for creamer.

Perhaps break it down for yourself in stages - rather than thinking of 30 days, aim for 15, and then you might surprise yourself after day 15 and find the cravings have weakened...

Good luck!

I am SO with you on the sugar madness.

I completed the 30 days,actually I went to 38..then I let sugar back in and felt lost yet again.

In 7 days I had neck,joint,back pain..I was feeling congested,having a sore throat and really cranky,tired and miserable.Let's not even talk about the awful stomach pains and acid.

Today is day 2 for me and I am feeling the cravings(there is also lots of stuff in my house that I could binge on)..I am holding onto how amazing I felt while I was off everything.

No matter how you feel over the days to come,stick with it..it gets better everyday and you will be so pleased with yourself when it's finally done and dusted.Good Luck!

If you have cravings like that, you might want to try the one day at a time theory. I used that idea to quit smoking cold turkey. Any time previously when I said, I will never have a cigarette again, I failed. When I actually quit, I just said, I'm not going to have a cigarette today. Maybe tomorrow. But NOT today. Soon the today's became a week. While I still told myself that, I added in, I don't want to have to start over. I'm on day 8 and if I have one, I'd have to start over. I quit 8 1/2 years ago and don't want it anymore.

Try it with sugar. I'm not going to have sugar today. Maybe tomorrow. But not today. I can win today.

Plus do what previous poster said, have snack alternatives or only eat if you want to eat protein and veggies. You CAN do this! Your sugar is my wine. I just had six bottles delivered (I'm a member of 3 wine clubs). I sit and work right next to our wine rack! Lordy, talk about torture! But I'm not going to have any today.

Keep repeating as often as necessary!

I'm another one who was used to the chocolate chip and cookie binge. I have surprisingly made it to day 20 (28). I have found that distracting myself from the actual craving has helped. For instance - grocery shopping I would often pick out a chocolate bar at the checkout if I was having a craving. Which was always easy. The other day I was inside walmart when I had the insane urge to grab a box of halloween candy (yes it's out already) and rip it open and start eating every chocolate bar that was in the box. I simply told myself that this simply wouldn't do. And I set out to distract myself with costume jewellry. It worked. So distracting yourself with something else helps as well.

I have been out several times for birthday parties and such and been able to turn down one my favorite dessert. I stopped, came to terms that I simply couldn't have it today. Then I realized I felt more left out for not being able to have the dessert with everyone else than missing the actual dessert.

Like Monica said above. Play the mind game of telling yourself not today. It doesn't mean that you won't ever again. Just not today.

Yesterday I had to ask my mom to remove a box of cookies that were sitting on the counter. I left the room to do something else and by the time I came back I had forgotten about those cookies. I read somewhere on this site that a craving only last 3 to 5 minutes. So find something else to do to distract you from it during that time.

Today top tip :) If you click the multiqoute button at the end of each post you can reply to different people in the one post.

No natural gum as far as I know, but we're discouraged from chewing when not eating food anyway, it sends all kind of confusing signals to the brain & belly.

I have been chewing tea tree oil toothpicks haha. They actually taste pretty good. Thank you for the multiquote tip.

I'm another one who was used to the chocolate chip and cookie binge. I have surprisingly made it to day 20 (28). I have found that distracting myself from the actual craving has helped. For instance - grocery shopping I would often pick out a chocolate bar at the checkout if I was having a craving. Which was always easy. The other day I was inside walmart when I had the insane urge to grab a box of halloween candy (yes it's out already) and rip it open and start eating every chocolate bar that was in the box. I simply told myself that this simply wouldn't do. And I set out to distract myself with costume jewellry. It worked. So distracting yourself with something else helps as well.

I have been out several times for birthday parties and such and been able to turn down one my favorite dessert. I stopped, came to terms that I simply couldn't have it today. Then I realized I felt more left out for not being able to have the dessert with everyone else than missing the actual dessert.

Like Monica said above. Play the mind game of telling yourself not today. It doesn't mean that you won't ever again. Just not today.

Yesterday I had to ask my mom to remove a box of cookies that were sitting on the counter. I left the room to do something else and by the time I came back I had forgotten about those cookies. I read somewhere on this site that a craving only last 3 to 5 minutes. So find something else to do to distract you from it during that time.

My wife used to always have to hide our sweets, and even then I could sniff them down somehow. My problem with cravings is I become fixated on them and it seems like they never go away. When I am trying to distract myself from one thing, it is usually with another thing that revolves around a craving. It's like I am walking in this land and it's raining donuts and cookies.

If you have cravings like that, you might want to try the one day at a time theory. I used that idea to quit smoking cold turkey. Any time previously when I said, I will never have a cigarette again, I failed. When I actually quit, I just said, I'm not going to have a cigarette today. Maybe tomorrow. But NOT today. Soon the today's became a week. While I still told myself that, I added in, I don't want to have to start over. I'm on day 8 and if I have one, I'd have to start over. I quit 8 1/2 years ago and don't want it anymore.

Try it with sugar. I'm not going to have sugar today. Maybe tomorrow. But not today. I can win today.

Plus do what previous poster said, have snack alternatives or only eat if you want to eat protein and veggies. You CAN do this! Your sugar is my wine. I just had six bottles delivered (I'm a member of 3 wine clubs). I sit and work right next to our wine rack! Lordy, talk about torture! But I'm not going to have any today.

Keep repeating as often as necessary! My problem is I love the high from the sugar so much, that even when I get to day 30, I will want to eat sugar even if I don't crave it. Even now, I will continue to eat when I am already full, even if it's steak or other foods. I love quantity!

That's a great idea. One. Day. At. A. Time.

I completed the 30 days,actually I went to 38..then I let sugar back in and felt lost yet again.

In 7 days I had neck,joint,back pain..I was feeling congested,having a sore throat and really cranky,tired and miserable.Let's not even talk about the awful stomach pains and acid.

Today is day 2 for me and I am feeling the cravings(there is also lots of stuff in my house that I could binge on)..I am holding onto how amazing I felt while I was off everything.

No matter how you feel over the days to come,stick with it..it gets better everyday and you will be so pleased with yourself when it's finally done and dusted.Good Luck!

Wow, I didn't know the pain would come back that quick. I am shooting for 30, but i have only made it as far as 9, I can't even be around people because I feel nuts without sugar. Major withdrawals. Its like I am in a mind fog.

You absolutely can do this. Also, think how bloody proud of yourself you'll be if you see it through for 30 days. Try herbal teas - some can taste quite sweet (if you like liquorice), without hammering yourself on the coffee front, and obviously avoid the need for creamer.

Perhaps break it down for yourself in stages - rather than thinking of 30 days, aim for 15, and then you might surprise yourself after day 15 and find the cravings have weakened...

Good luck!

So I was only 6 days away from the potential for these cravings to go away? Darn. So close. I will go for it again. I am at day 1 lol.

Archived