Worcestershire sauce

ochampion

I have found it VERY difficult to find Whole30 compliant worcestershire in stores. It's either got HFCS, or soy sauce, or some other sugar in it. Check your ingredients

You CAN make your own, and probably get it compliant, but I'd just use balsamic vinegar or coconut aminos in place of it for that recipe. (i assume. it sounds like it would be delicious in theory, but i don't know what else is in the recipe).

EDIT:

It looks like Lea & Perrin's doesn't have soy sauce in it, but it does have sugar, and molasses.

Ingredients:

Distilled White Vinegar, Molasses, Water, Sugar, Onions, Anchovies, Salt, Garlic, Cloves, Tamarind Extract, Natural Flavorings, Chili Pepper Extract.

Allergens: Anchovies.

I'm guessing it's not allowed. It has high fructose corn syrup & molasses!

Here's a homemade paleo recipe from : Paleodietlifestyle.com

Worcestershire sauce

This sauce is traditionally a fermented sauce using anchovies, but the traditional recipe also calls for molasses and some hard to find ingredients. This simpler recipe contains perfectly healthy ingredients, apart from the bit of soy sauce used, which shouldn't be a problem in such a small quantity.

Ingredients

• worcestershire.jpg1/2 cup apple cider vinegar;
  • 2 tbsp water;
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce;
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger;
  • 1/4 tsp mustard powder;
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder;
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder;
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon;
  • 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper;

Preparation

• Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and slowly bring to a bowl while stirring frequently.
  • Let simmer for about a minute for the flavors to develop.
  • Cool and store in the refrigerator.

I just found a great looking recipe for "zesty brussel sprouts" and it calls for worcestershire sauce. I wasn't sure if worcestershire sauce is alowed?

Thanks

Can you pass along that recipe for Zesty Brussel Sprouts? Thanks!

I'm guessing it's not allowed. It has high fructose corn syrup & molasses!

Here's a homemade paleo recipe from : Paleodietlifestyle.com

Worcestershire sauce

This sauce is traditionally a fermented sauce using anchovies, but the traditional recipe also calls for molasses and some hard to find ingredients. This simpler recipe contains perfectly healthy ingredients, apart from the bit of soy sauce used, which shouldn't be a problem in such a small quantity.

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar;
  • 2 tbsp water;
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce;
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger;
  • 1/4 tsp mustard powder;
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder;
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder;
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon;
  • 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper;

Preparation

• Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and slowly bring to a bowl while stirring frequently.
  • Let simmer for about a minute for the flavors to develop.
  • Cool and store in the refrigerator.

Just a word of caution: while this may be a recipe from a paleo website, it is NOT Whole30 approved because of the soy sauce. I'm sure you can use coconut aminos in place of the soy sauce, but just keep that in mind.

thanks for the responses, I was thinking it was probably a no go but thought I would ask.

This is the recipe:

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/04/zesty-brussels-sprouts/

I was planning on leaving out the agave nectar and I was able to find some whole30 approved dijon mustard at my local Fresh Market.

I think i'll forgo making this recipe and make this one instead that is completely whole30 approved and tested by yours truly! It's delicious and pretty easy so I would definitely recommend it.

http://www.refinery29.com/4-minute-recipes-from-nyc-s-most-famous-4-star-chefs?page=4

Just a word of caution: while this may be a recipe from a paleo website, it is NOT Whole30 approved because of the soy sauce. I'm sure you can use coconut aminos in place of the soy sauce, but just keep that in mind.

You are RIGHT! I just noticed the soy sauce as well. This is exactly why we should always double check the ingredient list for "paleo" recipes. Because sometimes, they aren't really 100% paleo! Sorry about that.

• 3 months later...

I was also wondering about the Worcestershire. I had read on another site someplace that it is fermented, so the sugars are used up in the fermentation process. Lea & Perrins doesn't have the soy and is gluten free. But I'll stay away from it during my Whole30!

Archived