Is switching wine for soda a bad idea on day 1 of the reintroduction? Or when can I test it?

MT254

I am approaching the end of my first Whole 30. On day 22 now. I have really enjoyed this. In regards to the reintroduction I am not sure if I should skip the wine on Day 1 since I rarely ever drink alcohol and move to Day 3. Or if I could replace the wine with soda and test soda on that day. Would it be okay to test a soda that soon or is to early in the process. I don't care if it is diet or regular. I just want to see how mu gut does with one in general. No where in the reintroduction does it mention when to test any type of beverages. Any advice? I don't drink coffee or tea, and if I never drank alcohol the rest of my life again I would be okay with that. Soda was my thing. I am really curious to see now how my gut reacts to it but I am not sure where in the process to test it. 

• Moderators

You can do your reintroductions in any order you wish, the important thing is to keep different food groups separate, and allow at least two days between reintroductions (more if you have a particularly bad reaction and aren't feeling 100% in two days).

If you're going to reintroduce soda, reintroduce the one you're most likely to want -- if you loved Diet Coke, have that. If you loved regular Coke, do that -- or whichever variety you would normally have. If you really have no strong feelings either way, it's up to you -- I will always pick real sugar over fake sweeteners, myself, but you get to decide what's important to you.

I would lump soda in with sugar, as far as which food group reintroduction it is. With sugar, watch for not only physical symptoms (the sugar rush, and then the crash after, for instance, or if you measure your blood sugar you'll obviously see effects there), but also things like craving more sweet foods, or craving other foods you've always had with soda in the past (Dr Pepper and salty potato chips were a combo I loved, and still if I have one or the other, I sometimes crave the other along with it).

Archived