Severe swelling after every #nonwhole30 meal... what is happening?

Hello! I just completed round 3 of Whole 30 and I am having severe digestive issues, and unable to track down what is causing it. After the first two rounds I concluded that I am intolerant to dairy - ends in swelling, constipation, and really stinky gas. Everything else I ate was fine. However, now after every non-whole30 meal, I end with severe bloating and stomach pain. Just to give you an idea, I measured 35 around the belly button before whole30 and ended at 33.5, I measured 40 inches an hour after eating dinner today. 

I did not consume any dairy today, so I really do not know where to even start. Yesterday I ate a burger at Hopdoody with pickles, honey mustard, and lettuce without the bun. I also had less than half the fries - bloating and bad gas all night. Today, I ate whole30 all day (eggs and sauteed kale in avo oil then cracklin chicken & brussel sprouts for lunch) - then had 2 margaritas, a pork & pineapple taco without the tortilla and chips & salsa. My stomach is now measuring 40 inches & I look 5 months pregnant. Please - any advice will help. I have completed reintroduction each time and no issues except dairy, and just no idea where to start.

Thanks for the reply @jmcbn. I have been doing a lot of research today and think that it is IBS-C or SIBO, it might be a good idea to see a GI on this. I have struggled with migraines the last several years, severe anxiety my entire life, constipation my entire life (now that whole30 showed me what normal was), and weight issues (gain super easy, and nearly impossible to lose). Any tips or resources are appreciated! For now, I am going to continue going back to the 3-day reset and introduce foods even more slowly and specifically & re-read 'It Starts With Food'.

I'm not an expert on SIBO I'm afraid...

There are a number of members who have been diagnosed with SIBO and have followed the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) which you can find easily enough on Google. IBS-C is treated with a diet similar to Whole30, but with the emphasis on soluble & insoluble fibre. Again, there are a number of members who suffer with this (And a few currently active on the forums) so if you search via Google you should find links to some previous/current threads.

My knowledge is general nutrition so as much as I can offer advice I'd suggest you first speak to a medical professional to at least get a confirmed diagnosis & if you/they think Whole30 is the way to go then we can certainly help/guide you from there....

Let us know how you get on.

Archived