Flour Anonymous

Urnesha

I feel like I need a support group where I stand in front of the room and say "Hi, I'm Urnesha and I'm addicted to flour". :( My Whole 30 was so great. Didn't slip once and saw fantastic results but doing this Food freedom thing is so much harder. Right after my introduction I had a week of special events, 2 birthday's, my work farewell, a cousin's lunch. I didn't eat ridiculously at any of them but I need eat a flour product at each of them and I think that just upstarted my cravings. All I want to do is eat something made from flour. Bread, pasta, pancakes, cakes anything! And fighting it all the time is exhausting so twice this week I ended up eating complete crap. And now I've started skipping exercise class cause I just feel so despondent. I know it's all a slippery slope and I don't want to go back to where I was before the Whole30. I cooked a healthy Whole30 meal today and I haven't eaten anything bad but it's a constant struggle. Anyone else finding post Whole30 to be really, really hard? 

You could to "scare yourself straight" by reading Wheat Belly or Grain Brain, if the Whole9 Grain Manifesto didn't do the trick.

For me, gluten is the one non-negotiable line in the sand.  Outside of Whole30 I may dabble with dairy or not pay attention to labels which might have HFCS or (more rarely) soy, but gluten is not permitted.  I'm not Celiac or even particularly intolerant, but in reading various sources, it just makes too much sense to avoid. I figure it's a dietary form of Pascal's Wager ;)

9 minutes ago, kirkor said:

You could to "scare yourself straight" by reading Wheat Belly or Grain Brain, if the Whole9 Grain Manifesto didn't do the trick.

For me, gluten is the one non-negotiable line in the sand.  Outside of Whole30 I may dabble with dairy or not pay attention to labels which might have HFCS or (more rarely) soy, but gluten is not permitted.  I'm not Celiac or even particularly intolerant, but in reading various sources, it just makes too much sense to avoid. I figure it's a dietary form of Pascal's Wager ;)

The thing is I'm lactose intolerant so I'm off diary, I have fibroids so I'm off soy completely and beans give me bad gas so I'm off legumes. My introduction really didn't add anything back. lol My plan with gluten is to just have it on special events but it's been really hard this past week. My job ended 2 weeks ago so I'm home all day and it's easy to get down in the dumps and of course when that happens I want to turn to baked goods for comfort. I don't give in most of the time.. so it's not like over indulgence is the problem.. it's the constant fighting of the cravings that's the problem. I want to reach the point where I'm not exhausted from resisting all the time. I feel like during my Whole 30 my cravings went away but now that I have the option to eat grains if I choose it's sooooo hard to say no. 

14 minutes ago, kirkor said:

p.s. Thanks for the links! Haven't read any of those before. 

Would alternative sources of flour be any better?  Like coconut flour, almond flour, etc. I ask not knowing anything about gluten or what contains it... 

4 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

Would alternative sources of flour be any better?  Like coconut flour, almond flour, etc. I ask not knowing anything about gluten or what contains it... 

I think for me alternative flour sources would just be sex with my pants on. They would just make me crave the real thing even more. Instead I'm doing to do a reset for 7 days and hope it helps with the cravings. 

• 1 month later...

@Urnesha I'd love to hear how your reset went!

I had this same exact reaction - one tiny bowl of Mac 'n Cheese after my reintroduction and off the rails I went! And I agree - the most annoying part is just wanting the cravings to GO AWAY. Mine weren't totally gone during my Whole30, even, either, so I'm afraid that I'll never really get rid of them. I just don't want to think about food ALL THE TIME! Similarly to you, I've had some life things that have made it difficult to go back to a reset (which is mostly true, and probably partly an excuse), so still trying to navigate what to do. I'd love to hear if you think your reset helped!

This was my post Whole30 experience with gluten too, so I'm starting a short two week reset tomorrow. I plan on being much more cautious about reintroduction next time. I actually have an easier time digesting gluten, especially if it's from a sprouted grain source, than I do with legumes, which i reintroduced and have really suffered from : painful bloating and gas, feeling full and like I have a lead ball in my stomach for days. I'm hoping this little reset will help! 

Archived