Sweet potato -- any qualifications?

MDL

Hi, 

Sorry if if this has been asked, I've been googling and I only find that sweet potatoes (white potatoes too) are acceptable. Is there any qualification on this rule? I.e., use these starchy foods only after workout or if you're a serious athlete?

We, my husband and I, are on day four.  Both overweight, and I have a history of yo-yo dieting. Our children are off to camp and will be back home on day 19 (we have to travel to visit them on day 18 and are not allowed to bring outside food, so I'm a little panicked about that day).  My husband thinks The Potato is the answer to not having our boys nagging us for ice cream and pancakes. 

So, should we non-athletes, walking for exercise types be eating spuds?

thanks in advance, and any advice for our traveling day 18 would be greatly appreciated!

martha

All kinds of potatoes are fine. If you're particularly sedentary or have blood sugar issues then you might want to limit them to every other day. Other than that we'd recommend at least a fist sized serving per day, particularly if you are prone to depression/anxiety/mood disorders, and also if you are fairly active. So long as you're also getting your fill of non starchy veg at each meal I see no reason why you should ban the humble spud.

On 6/12/2017 at 1:12 PM, MDL said:

we have to travel to visit them on day 18 and are not allowed to bring outside food, so I'm a little panicked about that day

What kind of rule is that? You're adults. They shouldn't be telling you whether or not you're "allowed" to bring outside food. Regardless, if I were you, I'd order some Epic bars and stash them in your purse just in case they don't have any compliant food.

I think the camp has many kids with food intolerances, so they are strict about not letting any outside food in lest someone get a whiff of peanut dust and need an epi pen...I think it makes the parents of kids with severe allergies feel confident their kids are in a safe environment at camp, which is important. the upside of this is their lunch and dinner offerings (which we will need to join for) should have plain protein and veggie options. I'm more worried about temptation. 

Epic bars ears are a great idea, thanks!

Archived