Stomach pain and bowel movements (warning: slightly graphic)

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and the whole30 program. I recently finished reading ISWF and became interested in doing whole30. For the past week, I have been eating relatively clean (90%) compliant, but decided not to start the program until January because of the holiday season.

Ever since I started eating this way on Monday, I've been having some stomach issues. I have been experiencing stomach cramps/pains in my lower abdomen that last 20 to 30 seconds every couple of hours or so. It kind of feels like someone is squeezing my insides and then letting go. Accompanied by that, I've been experiencing pretty severe pain in my stomach every time I have a bowel movement. It is very similar to IBS symptoms (constipation, mucus in stool, sweating and pain during bowel movements, immediate relief of pain after bowel movement). However, I've never experience these symptoms before I started eating this way (though I've had previous issues with constipation, but no stomach pain). Is this normal for the first week or should I be concerned? I'm thinking that perhaps cutting out diary has affected me, since I used to eat a Greek yogurt everyday, but I'm not so sure.

Hard to tell without food logs but my guess just based on what you said....the 10% that you did not cut out is what is causing your stomach pains. I would sincerely DOUBT that the cutting out of dairy would cause pain rather than fix pain. This could also be your body beginning a detox. What have you kept in your diet? what is in the 10%? Are you eating a lot more raw veggies or veggies you have not eaten before? Some people have problems with nightshades and FODMAP veggies (Google if you want more info on these things)

The 10% includes regular butter, bacon cured with a little sugar, etc. but I've cut out all grains, dairy, and legumes. I've always eaten a lot of vegetables (I eat broccoli and tomatoes almost every day), so it's not like my digestive system isn't used to digesting them. I've also always stayed away from processed foods like cake, cookies, and other empty calories.

The only thing that I can really think of that's affecting my stomach is maybe an increase in fat? I've always cooked with olive oil, but for the last couple of days I've been really trying to increase my healthy fat intake (avocados, more olive oil, etc.)

It could be your body having trouble absorbing the fat but regular butter is still dairy with milk solids which most people don't tolerate and bacon cured with sugar might have other creepies in it that could be affecting your body.

I hope you figure it out, good luck!

You can, most likely, chalk this one up to adjustment. When you change your diet drastically, your gut has to adjust and that is often slightly uncomfortable and embarrassing. Chances are, after a week or so of clean eating you'll adjust. However, it may not completely clear up if you get a little wild this holiday season :)

Archived