Each day is a new opportunity for change

kaiser179

I am creating this log as a place to put my thoughts and share my experiences on my post W30 journey. I don't plan on keeping track of everything I eat for every meal, but I do want a place to share what I am going through ....

I truly believe that each day is a new opportunity for change. Today can be completely different than yesterday. It is up to you to make your life what you want it to be.

Day 31

I planned on staying 100% compliant today and was successful!

I ran to the grocery store for a few odds and ends. It occurred to me that I could get something non-compliant if I wanted to ... I looked around for some options. Sweet potato chips - no, I would eat the whole bag in one sitting. Hummus - meh ... why bother? I ended up with fresh cut watermelon. And it didn't feel like a sacrifice! Although I did purposely avoid the bakery section! ^_^

Day 32

My intent was to be 100% compliant today but I did off-road in the evening. I was SUPER hungry today even though my meals have been very consistent. I think my body was ready for a calorie splurge. I decided on popcorn with melted ghee. Well, it was almost ghee. I melted the butter and attempted to skim off the milk solids, but I realized that you really need a metal seive to get everything (which I did not have) so there was some milk product remaining ...

The popcorn was lovely. So nice to have something crunchy and salty (my downfall) ... I really need to learn how to make kale chips.

I had a funny taste in my mouth the next day ... was it from all of the salt or the milk solids? I also had a really stuffy nose ... hmmm only time and trials with food will determine ...

Off-roading weekend

So I allowed myself a couple of days to eat whatever I wanted ... and I ended up eating a lot of bad food. <_< Good news: I had a better sense of portion control and I didn't feel the need to snack inbetween meals. Bad news: My blood sugars were a bit uneven and eating carbs made me feel hungier (even though I still didn't need to snack).

Unfortunately Coke still tastes great ... I miss the fizz. I may have to try sparkling mineral water even though in the past I found it to be a poor substitute. Also ... something I ate messed with my sinuses. I felt stuffy. Since I didn't do formal reintroductions, I have no idea if it was the dairy or something else. I think it will be worthwhile to do formal reintroductions next time around.

Day 1

Back on the wagon for another Whole 30. Funny, all I kept thinking about this morning is all of the food I can't have. :rolleyes:

I still have some yummy compliant options in the fridge, but getting ready to make a few extra items for the week: ground beef with sauteed onions and cumin for taco salads, sauteed zuchinni, roasted cauliflower, meatloaf, and my first try at a compliant ketchup.

Already feeling better about my choices and starting my second W30 out strong!

Day 3

Ugh ... feeling more ramifications from my off-roading. The Coke I drank over the weekend definitely gave me heartburn ... although it took me until now to admit it. Dang I love that stuff. I don't care if it cleans up grease and causes metal errosion ... it tastes delicious :rolleyes: The heartburn is diminishing after a few days of clean eating.

I also broke out in hives on Sunday. Since I didn't do formal reintroductions, I'm not sure what caused it. I had these hives on a recurring basis before, but I had attributed it to stress. Hmmm possible culprits: dairy, gluten, sulfites (had a couple glasses of wine over the weekend). MUST do a better job of reintroductions at the end of this W30.

Digestive issues too ... I am a mess! And all from just a couple of days of off-roading. This is crazy!

On a positive note - my carb cravings have been minimal and I am enjoying my food. I feel pretty in control of avoiding the scale too and plan to only weigh myself after this W30 is complete. So far, so good ... B)

Day 5

Okay ... today was a tough day. I was hungry and craving carbs ALL DAY. This process amazes me in how you can be totally fine one day and eat the same the next day and struggle to stay compliant. I kept thinking about ice cream. :ph34r: The great news is that I stayed on course and didn't cheat!!

Thinking ahead about my weekend cook-up and feeling un-inspired. We are living in a temporary rental and have such a small refrigerator. It is difficult to store a lot of pre-made food. Hmmmm might take the easy route with roasted chicken and maybe a beef stew ...

I also want to weigh myself but realize that it would be self-sabatage. My old method would be to weigh myself, be disappointed with the results, and then say F$%@ it and eat half a pint of ice cream. Trying to change my ways ....

Day .... "fill in the blank"

Sooo my weekend didn't go as planned. We went out to lunch with my father-in-law and the only thing half compliant was a steak which didn't seem to be a reasonable choice because they were HUGE and expensive (and father-in-law was paying). So I made a choice to be non-compliant and order a breaded fish sandwich and fries. Not the best choice, but I decided that if I was going to be non-compliant, I might as well enjoy myself. Funny thing though, the sandwich wasn't that great. I could taste margarine on the roll. <_<

I decided to relax and little and eat what I wanted for the rest of the day. So I had some breaded chicken strips and a root beer float for dinner. I was really "stuffy" after the float, so it seems clear that I have an issue with dairy.

Sunday was back on track 100% though and did a nice cookup as planned.

I'm not quite sure what the future holds. I was in the midst of a second W30, but I think I am now on a whole "whatever" - meaning that I want to be as compliant as possible, but sometimes you just gotta live a little. I want to make good choices and save off-roading for no more than once a week. I'm not sure even that often is a good idea ... we shall see. This process is about learning what works.

I really wanted to pull out my old friend, the scale, this morning, but I did not. Baby steps.

Feeling great

Had a couple of ups and downs, but I am feeling really good right now.  Yesterday was a bit of a "crabby" day.  My co-worker made microwave popcorn, and the smell was intoxicating.  I wasn't hungry before she made it, but the smell made me ravenous.  I could have chewed my own arm off.  Seriously.  But I got through the day unscathed and ate a huge dinner.

Dear Aunt Flo is visiting, and I am happy to report that any cramps are very very mild, and I don't feel bloated at all.  This is a huge improvement from a month ago.  Small blessings! :wub:

I accidentally took a bite of non-compliant liver sausage this morning and knew it immediately.  I could taste the sugar and spit it out.  It tasted so gross!  My tastes have really changed.

Feeling great overall and embracing this lifestyle.  I am so pleased that my off-roading Saturday didn't turn into an off-roading bender.  ^_^

Missing Sleep

So sleep has been my biggest challenge this week ... I am sooooo tired in the evenings but still find excuses not to go to bed earlier.  I don't get a lot of down time, and I enjoy laying on the couch and hanging out with my DH.  Last night I managed to get to bed at a somewhat decent time, but I slept very lightly and kept half waking.  It was not a restful sleep.  This issue is very bizarre since I slept very soundly while eating SAD.

I have been playing around with ratios of fats/proteins/starchy carbs at dinner ... some nights they help, other nights they seem to make no difference.  I have been drinking more caffeine, but only in the mornings ... and it is a vicious cycle since I am so tired.  So today I ordered some Natural Calm and am anxious to see if that helps.   I suppose it can't hurt, and little extra magnesium sounds like a good idea regardless.

Still doing great this week at 100% compliant.  Rock on!

Foodgasam and Sleep! :wub: 

I FINALLY tried coconut butter for the first time with dinner last night.  I steamed a sweet potato and topped it with a good heaping tablespoon of coconut butter.  After the coconut butter warmed, I mashed it into the sweet potato.  I wasn't sure of the flavor combo at first ... it was ... well ... sweet.  I have been so focused on eating savory, that I wasn't sure I liked the sweet flavor or if it was a gateway to bad dessert type habits.  I am happy to say that I got over it and enjoyed every bite!  It was so satisfying! nomnomnom

And even better ... I slept like a baby!  I ate exactly the same foods as the day before with the exception of the tablespoon of coconut butter.  Not sure if that had a big impact on sleep, but I am happy!

Just finished a lovely breakfast and added half an avocado.  I have been getting hungry inbetween breakfast and lunch.  Maybe the extra fat at breakfast will help.

Onward!

The Sugar Dragon

Ugh ................. so I humored the sugar dragon 3 times in the last five days.  Not a good idea.  :(

I am very annoyed at myself right now.  I know I shouldn't beat myself up because it takes awhile to undo years of bad eating habits, but I feel like I should be strong enough and smart enough to outwit any bad habits or cravings.

This week is the 7th week I have been utilizing the W30 methodology (32 days whole plus goal of being compliant 6 days a week afterwards).  In my prior attempts to "diet" and lose weight, I could make it to 5-6 weeks and then it would be a carb fest.  I know I am getting way more calories being W30 compliant compared to my prior "diets", so this issue with falling off the wagon (around the same amount of time) seems all mental.  ARRRGGGGGHHH

I'm not sure what the answer is here, and I know I am not alone.  I have been reading other post W30 logs, and I see that other people struggle with remaining compliant even though they want to eat well and understand the benefits.

I see two options for me at this point.  #1 take it day by day and follow the advice of my own log title.  #2 ease off for a couple of weeks and then do a very strict W30 after Independence Day weekend.   Hmmm I have to really think about this and decide which will result in better long term success ...

Found My Motivation

So I had a couple of weak moments and poor choices and beat myself up a bit.  I am feeling better now and am happy to report that I have been nearly 100% compliant these past few days.  I know now that the answer is NOT to take a couple of weeks off, but rather to take it day by day and strive for being compliant with a little off roading here and there.

I have to admit that I also stepped on the scale.  I was pleasantly surprised that I dropped a bit more weight and made it to one of my mini-weight goals: I am the same weight the day I got married.  :wub:  That is approximately 28 pounds less than my pre-pregnancy weight.  I feel victorious and know that I am on the right path.  Now to put the scale away for a month ...

I did go out to dinner last night and enjoyed a compliant steak and asparagus.  I splurged and had a martini, figuring it would be better than wine (which gave me hives last month - probably the sulfites).  I am sorry to say that I was a bit hungover this morning.  <_<  And it was just ONE drink.  This clean lifestyle has made me realize how badly I feel when I consume noncompliant foods.  Vodka, I will miss you, but you are not worth it.

I have gotten some interesting looks at the office when people see how huge my lunch is ... LOL ... one of my co-workers knows I am eating this way to lose weight and be healthier.  The look on her face says it all - she thinks I need to go back to the basics of counting calories hehe  That's okay, she can think what she wants to think.  I LOVE that this lifestyle allows you to EAT.  I had been calorie deprived for a long time when trying to "diet" on my own.

With that being said, I didn't have enough protein in my lunch yesterday, and I paid the price.  I was starving all afternoon and kept daydreaming about eating noncompliant food as an easy fix.  The better I plan my meals, the less I want bad food.  Too bad the most convienent food is generally not good for you (okay, I know that there are a lot of good options, but I'm just saying ...)  We all need to band together and create a chain of Paleo drive thru restaurants  :lol:

It's so interesting how hungry we get when meals don't include enough protein and fat. I guess in the past we might have snacked and not noticed it so much.

Thank you for sharing your off road experiences along with your reactions. I think reading this sort of experiences has me really sticking compliant to W30 longer. It's amazing how quickly our bodies adapt to life with no dairy etc.

Funny about your coworkers reaction to your lunch.

Archived