Broccoli Salad

Jennyebn

Just wanted to share this yummy recipe I found on http://primal-icious.blogspot.com which I served at my 4th of July festivities yesterday. It was a hit for even the non Whole30 folks.

Enjoy!

Bacon-y Broccoli Salad

http://primal-icious.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-to-ruin-your-taste-buds-for-store.html

• 36 oz broccoli florets
  • 1 medium red onion
  • 2/3 cup raisins
  • 2/3 cup blanched, slivered almonds
  • 6 slices of bacon
  • 1 ½ cups homemade mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • Sea salt

1. Blanch broccoli, drain, and cool in ice bath or with cold water. Drain/dry well.
  2. Dice red onion and sprinkle with sea salt. Put in a large bowl.
  3. Add mayonnaise and balsamic to bowl and mix well.
  4. Add broccoli and mix well.
  5. Cook bacon on stove or in over until well done (you want it to be easily crumbled).
  6. Optional, but recommended: toast slivered almonds in bacon fat.
  7. Add crumbled bacon, almonds, and raisins to salad and mix well.
  8. Try not to eat it all immediately; it's way more delicious if it sits in the fridge for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

OH! This is like my favorite salad at Sweet Tomatoes called Joan's Broccoli Madness (which is loaded with sugar.) I'm putting this on the menu plan for next week. I just hope I can find bacon without sugar, otherwise I'll omit.

Sounds like it's okay ... I posted the ingredients on another string, and one person responded they thought not because of the nitrate and weird sodium ingredients, but then one of the mods replied:

Just wanted to hop in here and point out that, while some folks may notice that they're sensitive to them, nitrates are not out for your Whole30. In the case of bacon, the sugar is what will most likely knock it off plan.

I have heard that Whole Foods has a bacon (in the butcher case) that has simple ingredients - I haven't seen it yet, but plan to ask the butcher about it next time I go to Whole Foods.

I have heard that Whole Foods has a bacon (in the butcher case) that has simple ingredients - I haven't seen it yet, but plan to ask the butcher about it next time I go to Whole Foods.

I just went today and asked. It's actually just Pork Belly. Pork Belly is bascially un-smoked and un-cured bacon. But you can just make your own bacon out of it. Just toss some salt and spices on the slices of pork belly and grill them up like you would with regular bacon. Enjoy!

Actually, it's different than pork belly. Here's the post that mentioned it -- my Whole Foods doesn't have it, so it might be regional.

.... it was in the butcher case and was just a Jalapeño Garlic Bacon. :)

Actually, it's different than pork belly. Here's the post that mentioned it -- my Whole Foods doesn't have it, so it might be regional.

Oh Thank you! Yeah, it must be regional. They don't have that in NJ. But this pork belly situation is fantastic. It's already cut into strips exactly like bacon. Plus, I don't have to commit to a set flavor of garlic jalapeno for every morning.

Archived