Yes, again.

befabdaily

I fell off the wagon badly in my last attempt. I was organizing a conference, it was the end of the semester, it was stressful, bah. I actually did not do too badly at keeping wheat free with the exception of a couple of pieces of cake at celebratory events (I was promoted to full professor! Woot!) and a couple of conference meals. But oh boy did I hit the wine hard (for me anyway, I'm a pretty cheap date). And I ate way too much sugar in the form of chocolate. Anyway. I'm all fat now and I have to get back on track. I actually renewed my Whole30 daily subscription to keep me on track from tomorrow until I depart for Wisconsin for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary next month. This time I will triumph, dammit. It's actually almost exactly the 1-year anniversary of my first successful Whole30 last year.

This time, I want to re-regularize my exercise routine, focus on getting good sleep daily, and taper down my coffee intake. I have been having a lot of 4 a.m. wakies due to stress. I just went on a small beach vacation, walked dozens of miles on the shore, and for the last two nights I've slept 8 straight hours. Going to try to keep that up.

Yesterday I ate:

#1: 3 eggs and a pile of sauteed greens, and coffee with coconut milk

#2: 8 oz liver, a large-ish sweet potato, and an avocado

#3: A bowl of ground beef "stew" with tomatoes, oven-roasted white yam slices with homemade mayo, and bubbly water with lemon and berries

#4: 2 tbsp. pistachios, a handful of olives, a handful of pickles, 4 prunes. I felt I had to eat a bit before bed because I can't fall asleep very easily if I'm hungry.

For some reason this morning I have the first headache I've had in a while.

Exercise consisted of:

5 min headstand/2 min shoulderstand

3 x 20 bodyweight shoulderstand squats

4 x 15 flat bent leg raises

4 x 10 (15 lb) 2-dumbbell overhead presses

#1: 3 eggs and a pile of sauteed greens, and coffee with coconut milk

#2: A bowl of ground beef "stew" with tomatoes, 2 small apricots, and an avocado

#3: 8 oz. liver, oven-roasted white yam slices with homemade mayo, and bubbly water with lemon and berries

I'm low on greens in my fridge and my meals should get better once I'm able to get to the farmer's market this weekend.

#1: 3 eggs, and coffee with coconut milk. I meant to eat an avocado with this, but I forgot.

#2: Carnitas salad at Chipotle, coffee with coconut milk

#3: I am about to eat a big piece of salmon and some sauteed greens. ETA: and an avocado and 2 prunes.

Morning workout:

1.6 mile walk

6x16 dumbbell step ups, 10 inch box, 15 lb dumbbells

3x10 dumbbell glute bridges, 30 lbs total weight

#1: 3 eggs, and coffee with coconut milk. Avocado.

#2: Rogan josh, roasted asparagus, 2 large apricots

#3: Salmon, roasted yam slices with rosemary avocado oil mayo, 2 kiwi fruits, bubbly water with smushed berries

Morning workout:

2 mile walk

A full professor! Congratulations!! I don't know how people are able to pull off such a different way of eating in the midst of a lot of work and stress. I've been thankful to have a bit of a reprieve to focus on changing our ways and learning to take more time prepping and cooking. I read your meal posts and thought we could be good neighbors - seems like we eat some similar things. I also thought your workout sounded really reasonable and do-able. I need to start figuring out some reasonable do-able things for my life. I have no clue what the things were that you listed, but I am certainly capable of googling and figuring it out.

I also thought your workout sounded really reasonable and do-able. I need to start figuring out some reasonable do-able things for my life. I have no clue what the things were that you listed, but I am certainly capable of googling and figuring it out.

I call my workouts "middle aged lady WODs". I definitely tend to be hard on myself around all these crossfitter types, my internal reasoning sort of goes like "well if YOU can do it, it doesn't really count as a workout". But I think really I'm doing OK. I can lift 30 pounds of metal from rest at my sides to over my head, many times in a row. I get my exercise ideas from Fitocracy -- I look up the names of exercises in their database that you can do with dumbbells, and then I look them up in Youtube to see if they resemble something that I'm likely to need strength for in real life, and I do what I can. The bodyweight exercises come from a book called Convict Conditioning, which is one of those weird testosterone-laced concepts but actually the exercises and the history of bodyweight exercise that he includes are really interesting.

I'll check them all out and maybe I can find things I can do at home. I went to the gym last year, but this year I'm not willing to sacrifice the sleep nor the evening time with family. hmmm - I wonder what I can lift?! Probably not much, but anything would be better than my current nothing.

I just started my Whole30 Daily over. I didn't do some kind of big gross binge, but a social occasion came up and since those are few and far between in my life right now, I decided to go with it. So, I had a glass of wine, some nuts that definitely had a slight dusting of sugar, and a vegetable soup that had some cream in it. I didn't go down the path of grains (which trigger most of my issues) and I haven't been tempted to dive nose-first down the slippery slope.

Is it just me, or is it actually harder to stick to a Whole 30 once you've pretty much figured out what your problem foods are and what they'll do to you? I find myself too easily derailed now if it's something (one glass of wine, a trace of sugar) that I know is pretty harmless.

Today is my first day back of a second Whole30 and I JUST caught myself wanting a beer and a cheeseburger (bun, ketchup and all). It's a gorgeous day and we were working outside and those things seemed so fitting. I heard myself thinking that we could just start tomorrow instead of today. bad! So I went in and grabbed a handful of almonds, made some lunch and am now stuffed and okay without that burger - but it sure woulda been good!

Thanks!

I'm back on the wagon today. Maybe I can make it through with the June group.

I did get together with my work buddy and have patio cocktails last night, and I have to say, something we drank (or maybe just that we drank more than I'm in the habit of doing) made me wake up at 2 a.m. with a racing, pounding heart. It was not pleasant. Although the drinking and freewheeling conversation were great.

Archived