Pea Protein Isolate

Sylwia Zygalo

Morning! I started on the 28th May and read all the basic bits and am now reading the book. I came across this statement: "Certain legumes. We're fine with green beans, sugar snap peas and snow peas. While they're technically a legume, these are far more “pod†than “bean,†and green plant matter is generally good for you", and it gave me the thought that pea protein isolate would be an accepted protein to consume.

I have this in my shake in the morning with almond milk, spinach, banana, maca and tahini. I'm beginning to get a feeling that it may not be an ingredient that I can use. I love this shake, which gives me plenty of bright energy and carries me through until lunch, but am prepared to swap it if I have to.

• Moderators

No. Pea protein isolate is far removed from the real food of "green plant matter."

Shakes don't measure up as meals during a Whole30. While shakes or smoothies are not technically banned, they fall short of the kind of meals that are recommended - basically meat and veggies. One problem is that liquid food digests faster than whole foods, so shakes and smoothies do not keep you satisfied as long as an equal volume of the same food in whole form. And because they can be drunk quickly, they make it easier to overeat.

Thanks, Tom. I searched high and low this morning, but your answer makes most sense to me. It is true that when I consume my shake at 7am, by 10am I'm already reaching for something to eat.

I shall continue without them for the time being. Cheers.

Archived