Cravings!

I am at the end of Day 9 on my third Whole30. My last Whole30 turned into a Whole45 or more. I have been compliant, but I have had crazy cravings. My DH has been bringing home lots of junk food and for some reason I am craving it. There is a huge bag of my favorite tortilla chips in my kitchen, plus cake, chocolate, ice cream. It seems that everything here is taunting me. We went to the local fair on day 5 and I managed to get through that without eating anything off the plan. On day 2 I accidently ate gluten, soy, corn, and MSG in some supposedly compliant chicken (was sick for a day after that one). I am planning to do this Whole30 until we go go to Portland for my graduation in 2 weeks, since we will be at catered events and won't have much choice in food.

Anyway. I don't remember cravings this bad on my previous Whole30s. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of, is that I may not be eating enough, but I am eating until I get full.

Having the foods you crave sitting around isn't helping. There are always ingredients lying around in my dorm's kitchen that are not at all W30/paleo/primal, and I know that they'll be left they go bad and get thrown out. Since they belonged to other people, sheer willpower was the answer. In your case, talk to your husband. Explain the troubles it's giving you, and hopefully he can stash the chips somewhere else, or buy a small refrigerator off of Craigslist and keep the ice cream there.

If that doesn't work out, or if you're still craving/craving something else, try eating some food that's the complete opposite of what you're craving. My last W30 I had a horrible craving for cheesecake, so for dinner I made a really spicy curry that was very filling. Smooth, creamy and sweet vs. hot, chunky and spicy.

I don't think eating more is necessarily the answer (I don't know how much you eat/your size and activity level, so it's hard to say). From experience I know it's possible to eat a 2K calorie meal, be so stuffed that I don't feel like I can eat another bite, and STILL want whatever I'm craving.

Archived