It's Good Mood Food, Dude!

Hi, All! Wow, I kind of can't believe I'm walking on this side of the street! It feels a little weird ... I use this word a lot, I know. My 1st Whole30 ended on May 30th, so now I'm here, in post-Whole30 land. When they say this process changes your life, they're not kidding! The title of this log says it all ... I feel amazing, and it all started with the food! For real!

Post-Whole 30 #1, I am working toward more consistency in adhering to the meal template and in adding purposeful exercise into my life. I will continue eating within the Whole30 guidelines until June 30 in order to strongly reinforce my new food foundation.

Yesterday was a good day ... I took a brisk walk. It's a start, and I felt good about it. My meal map was not exactly what I had hoped, but it was not fruit heavy or veggie light, so it was a good day! :)

Well, I just finished an exer-episode. Holy Moly! You know, I used to TEACH fitness classes, albeit it was many years ago; I was a certified fitness instructor. In my mind, I am still that fit, strong and super coordinated woman who can "sculpt and tone" with the best. In reality, I am a not-so-fit, not-so-strong and definitely not-so-coordinated woman who used to teach a very different type of fitness class! LOL! WOW, what an eye-opener!

But, it's live and learn around these parts. So, I just know that I can and will adapt to these new fangled exer-ways. I can't wait to see what happens as I move forward! Maybe my pancake-flat, almost 50 year old butt will become bootylicious! ;)  That'd be something to see!

Getting ready for work ... last week of school for us! YAY! My meal map has been improving, and I am still feeling great! A little congested, but it's due to a bit of a cold, I believe. I haven't added in any non-compliant foods, so I don't know what else it could be. I'm going to drink some tea, and eat lots of good veggies. Hopefully, it will be a small little bug, and move down the road quickly! 

The small bug is growing up into a full blown cold. I am coughing and the congestion in my chest is becoming difficult to label as something other than actual sickness. Not so much of a good thing. Hmph!   :wacko:

On a happier note, I think I am still feeling good food-wise. It's a bit difficult to determine as I have some aches and pains that I'm attributing to the cold bug, however I'm still mood stable and alert. Those two things make a big difference to be sure!

I'm going to keep on keepin' on, and fill my plate with lots of good veggies, drink lots of water and make sure to get to bed early. I may start echinacea as well. I have to check the ingredients.   

DAY 39 - JUNE 8:

My cold seems to be moving on. NICE! I had some weird-ness this week; I ate out twice and felt a little anxious about whether or not the food was ok for me to eat. Once, I did not order correctly, and then was faced with a dilemma about what to do. I was really not wanting to over-react ... it was my fault, and it was a nice meal, so i ate the fish with the sauce. I was so nervous when I finished, and I almost allowed myself to get very weird, but then I stopped myself. I know this is how I get into trouble; being obsessive about food. I really had to tell myself: "It's one dinner. It was from the gluten free menu. There were definitely things in the sauce that are not compliant. OK. Now, get over it and move on." And that's what I did! Then, I ordered out again at a retirement dinner. It was all fine, and I was very specific about how to cook my salmon. I STILL got all weird about whether they used "bad" oil. Hmmm ... I can see a trend emerging. This process has been so valuable in managing food issues that I have had for soooo long, and I am grateful to have some clarity about these psych type things. I do have to be vigilant in monitoring potentially compulsive tendencies about food. I have no desire to off-road with anything (other than the scale) ; I am very comfortable eating Whole30 compliant meals. I'm glad for that. I know that I can recover quickly if something occurs and I eat outside of the template or I ingest a bit of non-compliant oil. Yessss ( pumping arms in the air)

Last day of school yesterday! I am always thankful to be here ... it's hard to see my class move on because I love those little faces, but it is nice to have a bit of a break! I am looking forward to managing some home things and getting caught up on my admin stuff. Finally! I did decide to weigh myself once a week. I know that the scale is off-limits during Whole30, and i did not weigh a all during the month of May. I am happy that I did step on yesterday, although , again, I was a bit weird about whether I would be ok afterwards. I think that I need to adjust parameters slightly in order to keep myself from becoming too caught up in that number. I am glad to know that I can weigh or not weigh; it's really not a big deal because the benefits from this process are much more than how much I weigh. That's the fact, Jack!  I may step on again next Friday, I may not. I'll decide when I get there, and then, whatever the outcome, I'll be ok.  :D

Day 39 is a great post. I too am learning a lot about the mental/emotional side of eating. I'm glad you were able to eat those meals and move on. I don't eat out much but post W30 want to be a bit more lenient with "what sort of oil" etc. Kudos on the scale not ruling your emotional reactions regarding your progress.

DAY 42 - JUNE 11:

I've been moving along without much to say, it seems! I guess that means that this process is becoming a not so much a different thing; it's just how I live. I still feel a little funny making that statement. I know I'm not totally there, and really, it's only been 42 days. That is not long time in terms of the big picture! BUT, for now, it feels just "regular" to live this way, with regard to my food choices. 

I'm still struggling with consistent exercise. This is definitely been better than it was in the past, but I need to find my groove in this area. I am no Calee, with her barre work and "Pilates on steroids", that's for sure!  :D But, that's the joy of it! I am NOT anyone but me, and I will get this part too. Maybe I need to have a Whole30 for exercise! As they say, "It's only 30 days" ...  LOL!

That phrase makes me laugh because that's what I told my challenge group when we started this thing! It turned into more than"only" 30 days for many of us; the phrase is really a crock (in a good way!) You're drawn in, with the idea that you can do anything for this short amount of time, and then VOILA, the magic happens and you are never the same! As I have said before, the Whole30 really did change my life!

Have a great day! Whole30 on, Friends!

Hahaha! Pilates on Steroids! Thats how they bill it. But here's the difference. You'll be still standing on Day 60 and I'll be in a puddle on the floor.

Now stop comparing yourself to anyone else young lady. This is so much more than W30 or W60. Are we going for 100? :)

You're so right t hat we get to be "us"!

DAY 45 - June 14

Guess I'm making it whole 60! LOL! I feel great, and don't see a need to eat anything I'm not already eating. The next 15 days will seriously HAVE to include me writing "I'm not even kidding I need to get my a@@ up and moving" manifesto!

I had blood work done this week; my cholesterol levels were a bit high in December, and the dr. wanted to check them again. I was truly thinking that I would see some huge improvement. Not so much. I don't know why I set myself up to think that I will be one of those ... you know, the "whole 30 cured my whatever" type of people. Now, don't get me wrong, Whole30 did fix a multitude of my long standing problems, so I'm not complaining. It's just that when I get to that "ultimate" test; like the weigh in on DAY 31 , or this blood test I feel let down by only a slight improvement. Silly ol' me!  :wacko:  I then have to give myself the little chat that I would deliver to a friend or child, detailing the idea that any improvement is a good thing, and that "you can't expect your results to be like anyone else's, cause you're YOU!" Truth! I'm feeling fine, and I am working through the idea that it just takes my body a bit of time to adjust to things. I'll get there. 

So, anyway, my overall cholesterol dropped 2 points. My LDL, which was the concern, stayed the same. Could have been MUCH worse, and I am grateful that there was some positive change. I am going to continue with compliant eating, and begin writing my manifesto right after I finish writing this! Well, in reality, it will probably be after my black coffee and Meal 1.  :rolleyes:

Have a great Saturday!  :D

Focus on the positive the way you're doing. You're feeling great and not everyone can say that. I'm in for 60, maybe 100. I wrote in my log about wanting to switch to W as written without all my self imposed restrictions.

Have a fun weekend!

• 4 weeks later...

WOW! I didn't realize it had been so long since I'd been here! Well, to sum things up, I'm still moving along. I haven't purposely made a trip off the path, and I still feel pretty darn good! My little issue with "fluffiness" persists, however, I don't think about it too often. I mean, i would like be a little healthier in terms of body fat, but it will come {I hope}. 

I did have a weird thing happen yesterday at lunch. I made some emergency protein yesterday, using Jennie-O ground turkey, tomatoes, shredded zucchini, onion, garlic, diced green chiles and organic vegetable broth. I have used these ingredients before, although it had been a while since I had eaten the chiles or the ground turkey. About 10-15 minutes after my lunch, my stomach bloated like a balloon! It was incredible! I haven't experienced anything like it in months! I was kind of confused by the situation, and then wondered if it might have been the turkey or the chiles. I checked ingredients, and there was nothing out of whack in the chiles. The ground turkey did have "natural flavors". I haven't eaten this product since the very beginning of my WholeW, and I think I won't be eating it again! 

I sometimes wonder how I will ever feel comfortable making a choice to feel bad. I hear my friends say, "You can't eat like this forever", and then I think "I hear you", but I am just not OK with being cranky and uncomfortable because of what I eat. I mean, I might be cranky and uncomfortable because of things I can't control, but I can certainly manage what I put in my mouth. I guess there will come a time when I choose to off-road; I just can't seem to imagine what will prompt the adventure! 

Later, 'Gators!  :D

I sometimes wonder how I will ever feel comfortable making a choice to feel bad. I hear my friends say, "You can't eat like this forever", and then I think "I hear you", but I am just not OK with being cranky and uncomfortable because of what I eat. I mean, I might be cranky and uncomfortable because of things I can't control, but I can certainly manage what I put in my mouth.

That's a great attitude!  One I need to remember to adopt.

I hear you! Other than perhaps a bit of special occasion or vacation off road eating, why the heck can't we eat like this forever? I love the days when I wake up feeling great. I want that everyday. I'm sure that by continuing one day at a time, my body will find a less fluffy place to live and find its perfect size.

You rock!

I hear you! Other than perhaps a bit of special occasion or vacation off road eating, why the heck can't we eat like this forever? I love the days when I wake up feeling great. I want that everyday. I'm sure that by continuing one day at a time, my body will find a less fluffy place to live and find its perfect size.

You rock!

Right back at ya, Sister!  ;)

I was thinking about this. I've had a pattern of eating very healthy for decades. But when I dip into sugar/flour/high glycemic fruits, it just sets up an outrageous craving. I went from 1989 to 1997 without a bite of sugar. That was easy! Once I had that first bite in Florence Italy, because of course it was my first trip to Europe so off road eating was expected, that was it. Off to the races. I think that for me it's a reaction. I'm not gluttonous. I'm not a pig. But my body drives me with the wildest cravings at that point. It's not that I give in to hem o much as I'm always weighing my options. Eat it. Don't eat it. Sugar has a way of ruling my brain. Why do I want to give it all that free rent space in my brain, which could otherwise be engaged in creativity, joy, gratitude. Just my silly morning musings. I think I'll copy this to my log so I remember it.

Have a fun day!

Archived