Ovulation screwed up?

hmlong06

I finished my first whole 30 March 31, I have never had problems with my cycle being out of whack, but I didn't ovulate during whole 30 and didn't have my first period after until April 28.  It lasted 5-6 days, and normally I had a strict 28 day cycle, with no oral contraceptives or anything.  However, I haven't had a period since then.  I have had bloating, break outs and other symptoms that led me to believe I would start soon, but nothing.  I've had a negative pregnancy test too!  I did go back to eating some grains and minimal dairy as well as beans (in hummus) after whole 30.  I began following a gluten free diet and have minimal sugar occasionally.  Nothing has changed though since my last period.  I'm clueless and frustrated!  Anyone else have this same situation?  Thanks!

I just looked this up because I too am having a very odd period! I am always 28 days. Today I am 2 days into ovulation and it's nearly non existent so far...this is a first in my life. I finished my 30 days a week ago, but have not really added anything back into my diet yet. Just a bit of honey and maple syrup in salad dressings. I'm concerned what's causing this to happen as well?!?

If I don't eat enough carbs, ovulation stops for me, too.  I find I need to eat more carbs and often throw in a bit more rice as I can't stomach most starchy carbs, and that's enough for ovulation and cycles to start getting more regular for me.  It's something you may want to play around with.

In general, changes in diet can significantly impact your cycle in a few ways:

1. Changes in diet can sometimes be perceived as stress by the body.  In evolutionary terms, the body doesn't want to get pregnant if it's under stress, so it delays ovulation when it feels conditions aren't ideal to get preggers.  Consider adding more carbs and/or fat - play around with it a bit.  

2. Your cycle works the way it does based on the rise and fall of hormones at specific times throughout your cycle.  Estrogen has to rise to a certain point to trigger ovulation, then estrogen falls and progesterone rises, and when progesterone drops, that triggers your period and the whole cycle repeats itself.  Think of this, though: those on a SAD typically have higher estrogen levels.  Enter the Whole30: hormones start to balance (typically a drop in estrogen, an increase in progesterone).  The body can confuse that drop in estrogen (relative to what it was before) as a signal that ovulation already happened.  The drop in hormones can send the wrong signal.  That's why you'll hear many say it may take a few months for your cycles to even out.  Your body is looking for the new baselines in which to measure a rise and fall in your hormones at the right times.  

It may be worthwhile to wait it out another month or two.  If you're really concerned, talk to your doc.  He/she will likely either watch it OR give you a drug to increase progesterone for a few days to increase your levels.  Then, after a few days, you'd stop it and the drop in progesterone should trigger a bleed.  

Although there could be some other things going on, it's likely just something the body needs to figure out on its own.  I know it's frustrating, but as long as you don't have any underlying issues, it should come back online soon enough.  Good luck!  

My husband and I are trying to conceive so I pay pretty close attention to my cycles.

We started our Whole 30 on the 6th day of my cycle and we're currently on day 16 of our Whole 30. My ovulation was delayed by about 4 days (which isn't drastic) but I am definitely noticing some other weirdness, i.e. my luteal phase temperatures are a bit more erratic than usual and I think that my period might come earlier than it otherwise should with a later ovulation but that's just a suspicion at this point.

I have also found that since I ovulated, I am very hungry within 3 hours of eating an appropriate Whole 30 meal - I was fine hunger-wise before ovulation. I think that a woman's body has higher caloric demands in the luteal phase in order to prepare for pregnancy so I have caved and snacked on mini-Whole 30 compliant meals in case this cycle is the winner. As between feeding a potential pregnancy and strictly following the no-snacking rule, I'll go with the former every time. :)

Try increasing your carbs during your luteal phase. The body does need more energy then, so some additional sweet potato during that time period may go a long way. I find it also helps with evening out my temps.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone!  I am definietly getting enough carbs and fat, so I think I will probably just wait it out for a few more months and hope things even out.  I see my midwife in July, so I will bring it up to her then.  Thanks for the info! :)

2. Your cycle works the way it does based on the rise and fall of hormones at specific times throughout your cycle.  Estrogen has to rise to a certain point to trigger ovulation, then estrogen falls and progesterone rises, and when progesterone drops, that triggers your period and the whole cycle repeats itself.  Think of this, though: those on a SAD typically have higher estrogen levels.  Enter the Whole30: hormones start to balance (typically a drop in estrogen, an increase in progesterone).  The body can confuse that drop in estrogen (relative to what it was before) as a signal that ovulation already happened.  The drop in hormones can send the wrong signal.  That's why you'll hear many say it may take a few months for your cycles to even out.  Your body is looking for the new baselines in which to measure a rise and fall in your hormones at the right times.  

----

Thanks for this! I am basically having an extra period this month, two weeks after the first, despite being on birth control. (On Day 19 of my Whole30 now.) I feel like this explains it. Hoping things go back to normal for next month; two periods in a month is a royal PITA, especially when unexpected. <_<

Archived