Official Start date 6/18/13

jsmphoto

I've started eating Paleo as of today but am starting Whole30 tomorrow. I am nervous!!! I'm 41 yrs old and 207.6lbs. I have two grandchildren that I want to be able to enjoy for a long time! I also do photography part time and it kills me to try and get off the gound while taking pictures. Its time to get healthy!!

Anyone else in the San Antonio, TX area doing this???

Melissa

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay girls!  I'm also looking forward to being able to get up off the ground without grunting and groaning--LOL! 

I don't have grandkids yet, but my 25 year old son got married last year and I'm sure they will be in the future.  I'd like to be a fit grandma too!

Hello Everyone! I'm starting today as well. I'm 54, no grandkids on the horizon yet, but my daughter is getting married next year. I have been struggling with vertigo and all the meds in the world don't seem to be helping, so I thought I'd see if clean living does!  I'm really not overweight and eat pretty clean most of the time, but in the past year or so it seems I "cheat" a lot more than I used to and am just feeling "blah." I want to get that energy back that you get from making the right lifestyle choices. 

I cook a LOT, so let me know if anyone needs meal suggestions!  

Good luck to everyone. 

I have started today too and looking forward to changing my outlook on food and what I eat.

I am 38 and have 3 children so cooking will be a temptation with pasta etc but I WILL NOT FAIL ...

Looking forward to tips and support :)

Hello,

I started over yesterday.  This is my second Whole30 consecutively.  I have been reviewing the plan and discovering mistakes I have made.  I would love to pair with someone for accountability.  I am 60 and just started Crossfit.  In addition, I am writing a dissertation and starting a new business. 

Cheers,

Mercy

To combine topics into this one, I'll post my original one about starting today here:

My plan was to start TODAY, but my trip to Whole Foods was an epic fail. So it will be tomorrow (6/18/13).

I have been reading up on the Paleo diet and knew I had to try it out, after 6 attempts on Weight Watchers and never sticking to it. I have chalked it up to my in-ability to eat ANY sweets, breads, pasta, starches, and grains in moderation. So I probably just need to go cold-turkey, and knock the addiction once and for all (hopefully). Plus, I HATE counting anything--points, calories, fat grams, etc. I do know you still have to be sensible on this diet, but I just don't want to have to write anything down and track anything (I'm NOT a list person).

I weigh 208lbs, am 44 years old, have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and lower back issues and general bloating and joint pain. Oh, and IBS. So I'm hoping this lifestyle change will help most or all of these things. Something's gotta give. On a good note, I am pretty active despite all these issues. I have a small horse farm with my husband and 11 year old daughter, 3 horses, 3 dogs, and 3 cats, and take care of all these animals on a daily basis which is a lot of work and does give me some modicum of fitness. I also ride my horse 3-4 days per week and show him. I am also hoping that I will lose some weight to look better in my white show breeches (whomever thought those were a good idea had to be a skinny b***h--LOL!), and have more stamina to ride longer and more often! My horse is in a lot better shape than I am!

Like I mentioned, my trip to Whole Foods at lunch today was both a culture shock, and a failure. First, because I didn't bring a lunch to work today and planned on eating something from their food bar. Not. Everything either had rice, grains, tofu or legumes in it, except for a couple of items that had something else I am replused by, and I'm not repulsed by much. So then there was the salad bar, but they didn't have anything I could use as dressing. So I went to Jimmy Johns and had my last sandwich with bread, and last bag of potato chips.

Not only that, but I was in complete shock at how EXPENSIVE everything was! And by how many of the processed meat items (sausage, bacon, etc.), although grass fed and hormone free, had SUGARS in them. So all I walked out of there with was ghee, coconut oil, cashew butter, kale chips, and beef jerky. And with a $40 bill--OUCH!!

So, tonight it's a trip to the regular grocery store to try to find some actual FOOD to eat (meat, vegetables, and fruit). And hopefully I can throw together some meals to get me through the first week.

Glad to be here!!

Not only that, but I was in complete shock at how EXPENSIVE everything was! And by how many of the processed meat items (sausage, bacon, etc.), although grass fed and hormone free, had SUGARS in them. So all I walked out of there with was ghee, coconut oil, cashew butter, kale chips, and beef jerky. And with a $40 bill--OUCH!!

Hi Horsegirl -- did you get started yesterday after all? I feel your pain on the Whole Foods thing. They aren't jokingly (sort of) nicknamed "whole paycheck' for nothing. I, too, started out there on Monday and blanched at the final bill. 

However, that is why the Whole30 guidelines have a "good" and "best" choice. Even smaller supermarkets, like the one I shop at, usually have a "good" choice that, at the very least, is hormone and antibiotic free. I plan to mostly buy at my local, with a few trips to Whole Foods to buy things that I can't necessarily get there. And I learned too: Buy your specialty items, like coconut oil, coconut aminos, fish oil, etc., from Amazon.com -- it's so much cheaper. Of course, I didn't plan far enough in advance to do that this time, but now I know! 

So, how's everyone doing here on Day Two?  

Hi! I started yesterday as well - going cold turkey.

I tried a low carb diet a few years ago ans felt great. I have no idea why I stopped.

I'm 31, married with 2 kids under 5. i told my Hausband that I would Start whole30 and that i would cook accordingly. He surprised me and startet as well 😄

Hi,

I stopped at Whole Foods yesterday too and yes was shocked at the cost! I did find the Coconut aminos that I couldn't find at the regular store, but that and a couple of packs of meat were $81.00. Ouch!! I did find the coconut oil at the regular store. Am a little confused when to use what type of oil. I tried the coconut butter on my steamed cauliflower, but didn't like the slight coconut aftertaste. Maybe the refined one for med-high heat will not have the coconut flavor. I am making a ground turkey curry with coconut milk for lunch, so will see how that turns out. Second day with no Mt. Dew. I had to make a cup of non sweetened tea yesterday to curb the headache from no caffeine. No cheating so far! :)

Mike

Well, my first day didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. I played hookie from work....sssshhhh don't tell anyone. My husband and I were out running errands and went to the local Mexican resturant where I had chicken fajitas with grilled onions and guacamole. I posted my meal on "can I have____" and I was told that it would be best if I started over. :unsure:  SO...today is now my second day 1!! I know that I HAVE to start making my meals ahead of time, especially breakfast. I just don't get up early enough to cook, I love my sleep. So 2 hard boiled eggs and an avocado just aren't enough. *sigh*. LOL

Everyone keep up the good work!!!!

Doing okay so far and yes, I did start yesterday.  I woke up with a headache this morning that I just can't shake--ibuprophen has done nothing.  Probably either a caffiene withdrawal or carb/sugar withdrawal headache.  Although I've skipped caffiene for a day here and there before, and never got a headache so bad.  So I'm leaning towards it being carb/sugar withdrawal.

I had a really yummy but simple 2-egg scramble with sweet red peppers and fresh spinach this morning.  I used ghee to sautee the veggies, then added a smidge of coconut oil to the eggs to help them "scramble", then added them to the veggies after they were cooked.  It was SOOO good and I'm completely satisfied and it's 11:15am!  I'm normally STARVING by 10am on my regular food regimen which was alway carb loaded (english muffin, coffee with flavored creamer).

I think I may have to not count Day 1 either though, I was REALLY good, except I had some beef jerky that I got at Whole Foods which I didn't realize had CANE in it--ARRGH!!  It was a plain flavored variety so I didn't even think to read the label!

Hang in there, girls. Sorry you had small slips, but I wouldn't worry too much about it, really. You're still making better choices than if you weren't on the plan at all. And Horsegirl -- ouch on the headaches! I actually feel marvelous. Knock wood. Although, I was about 95 percent Paleo before this, so I don't think I have the carb/sugar withdrawals. I have another story, but I'll tell it down the road. 

Coconut aminos are a substitute for soy sauce and are used in a lot of Paleo recipes. If you need recipes, I'd check out Nom Nom Paleo and Well Fed. I bought Nom Nom's iPad app and I love it. I have Well Fed on PDF on my computer, and just bought the lay flat paperback (I should get it tomorrow), because I love me a real cookbook in the kitchen. 

Good luck today!!!!!

Hi,

I stopped at Whole Foods yesterday too and yes was shocked at the cost! I did find the Coconut aminos that I couldn't find at the regular store, but that and a couple of packs of meat were $81.00. Ouch!! I did find the coconut oil at the regular store. Am a little confused when to use what type of oil. I tried the coconut butter on my steamed cauliflower, but didn't like the slight coconut aftertaste. Maybe the refined one for med-high heat will not have the coconut flavor. I am making a ground turkey curry with coconut milk for lunch, so will see how that turns out. Second day with no Mt. Dew. I had to make a cup of non sweetened tea yesterday to curb the headache from no caffeine. No cheating so far! :)

Mike

Mike - I also discovered I don't like the flavor of coconut oil. Most people seem to think it's not noticeable; I find it overwhelming. However, since olive oil is okay, I've been using light olive oil for sauteeing and adding ghee to other dishes where I normally might use butter. I'm thinking of trying a different brand of coconut oil; I'll let you know if a different brand (I have Trader Joe's now) helps. Also, I don't cook much at higher heats, so haven't had to deal with that yet. Let me know how the turkey curry turns out!

Hi Newbie,

I am a rampant foodie, so am using this program to dig up tons of new recipes. Not sure if the wife and kids will eat them, but maybe.

I also tend to buy every know tool and accessory whenever I start a new project, so have already bought 5 cookbooks, most of the staples recommended, and am trying to find a 6qrt pressure cooker too! Me obsessive compulsive? Not diagnosed anyway! :)

I decided to wait until dinner to cook the curry. Will let you know how it goes, but for lunch I made the homemade mayo and then used it to make the tuna salad. It turned out wonderful!! The links to both recipes are below. I added the stalk of celery and used cashews in it. The mayo turned out good, but I will probably cut back on the salt a little next time (which is weird because I am a bit of a saltaholic).

Please let me know what good products and recipes you guys discover!

Mayo recipe 

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

Tuna Salad

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/02/09/youre-the-top-tuna-salad/

Mike -- I figured  ;) . I'm a foodie, too, and already cook most meals. I did the same with the cookbook and the staples. Not sure I'm ready for a pressure cooker yet, although Nom Nom Paleo's pressure cooker-prepared meals do look good, so maybe...

Hi everyone!

I started Whole30 yesterday along with my husband.  I read It Starts With Food a few weeks ago and we were just waiting to get through some birthday parties and vacations before actually starting the program.  Yesterday was our first day back from our vacation and we started the diet (a little bit of a challenge since we had no food in the house but we both succeeded.  Day 2 is going well so far.  We did have one mishap last night where my husband was making a big pot of soup after dinner for tonight's dinner and I asked him if he read the ingredients on the beef boullion that he just used.  Nope!  All kinds of off plan stuff in there.  So, we froze the soup and we will eat it in a month.  Hopefully he figured out what we are having for dinner tonight instead of the soup.  I know that he visited the grocery store again today.  :D

I've started eating Paleo as of today but am starting Whole30 tomorrow. I am nervous!!! I'm 41 yrs old and 207.6lbs. I have two grandchildren that I want to be able to enjoy for a long time! I also do photography part time and it kills me to try and get off the gound while taking pictures. Its time to get healthy!!

Anyone else in the San Antonio, TX area doing this???

Melissa

Hi Melissa! I'm in the San Antonio area and currently on my 3rd Whole30, day 17. If you want some local support, I'm here for you. Just let me know. I've successfully done this twice and I can help you through with whatever support you need. Good luck!

Shannon

I made it through yesterday. I'm tired and fuzzy today, but I don't think it has anything to do with Whole30. I had to get up at 3 a.m. to drive my son to the airport and when I got home had trouble falling back to sleep. And then, of course, I had to get up for work. I've had a cup of coffee and it seems to be knocking out some of the cobwebs. 

Yesterday's food was pretty easy. I had a scramble of spinach, mushrooms (sauteed in light olive oil), sausage and 2 eggs for breakfast. Made a hash out of leftover chicken, leftover turnip "home fries" and peppers -- plopped a dollop of homemade ranch dressing on top just for fun. It was amazing. For dinner, I roasted a rack of lamb and had salad and a couple of slices of leftover butternut squash. I planned dinner poorly and was overly hungry by the time I ate, but eating fixed that. 

I also invented a meatball recipe that is transcendental. They're for a pre-race feed tomorrow, I'm going to make the sauce fresh and dump them in tomorrow night. And eat mine pasta-less, of course!!!!

Good luck all on day 3!

Wow Rack of lamb! I thought making the curry was ambitious.:) The curry turned out great, but I desperately wanted to put it over rice.:(

I am going to try the Cauliflower rice today and put the leftovers over that. Can you please share the recipes for the homemade ranch and the transcendental meatballs? Below are the links for the curry (I added a can of coconut milk) and the Cauliflower Rice (no actual rice in it, you food process the raw cauliflower to the consistancy of rice granuals. I also added a recipe for Fried Rice (cauliflower) that looks good and uses the coconut aminos I bought the other day.

I am feeling lethargic today and just a little grumpy! I did find my 6qrt pressure cooker yesterday, so will try the beef bone broth. Maybe that will pick me up a bit. I seem to be getting tired earlier at night. I usually go to bed around midnight, but am now getting tired around 10pm, but having a little trouble actually getting to sleep. Anybody else noticing sleep pattern changes? Oh, I also am finding sneaky things hiding in the ingredients of some of the healthy things I bought. My wonderful stone ground mustard has both sugar and white wine in it. :( I even checked my Centrum vitamins and found they contain soy!

Ground Chicken or Turkey Curry:

http://paleofoodiekitchen.com/category/whole-30/

Cauliflower Rice:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1626071845/another-simpler-version-of-cauliflower-rice

Asian stir fried Cauliflower Rice:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3195098303/asian-cauliflower-fried-rice

Mike - Rack of lamb is easy-peasy. You just sear it in oil first (or not), rub some seasonings on it, and cook it in a 350 oven for about 20 - 25 minutes (depending upon thickness), until internal temp reaches 125. It can also be grilled, slow roasted, etc., but that's the basic, easy, method. 

I've "riced" cauliflower using this method and it worked well. One other thing I did -- got a big sieve to fit over my sink and dumped the cauliflower in to drain as I riced it. 

The homemade ranch recipe is from Well Fed and is made using her homemade mayo. You can find both recipes here, or in Well Fed. I'm going to try that salad, too, sometime in the next week. 

Here's my recipe for the meatballs. I needed to make a giant batch; it should be easy to cut for smaller amounts:

1 lb each ground pork, veal and beef

1/2 cup flaked coconut

3 eggs, beaten

fresh parsley (I only had about 1/2 cup available in my herb garden, so that's what I used)

medium onion, chopped

1 tsp minced garlic

Italian seasoning to taste (I used prob about a tablespoon).

Form into meatballs and cook at 350 for 25 minutes.  

For the sauce, I am just going to saute some chopped onions and peppers in olive oil (I have yellow, so will use that), dump in a few cans of Whole30 compliant tomatoes, simmer for a bit, then heat the meatballs in that. That's for tomorrow. I support two teams of ultramarathoners and am feeding them pre-Saturday race. 

As for sneaky ingredients: My probiotic has soy (I'm glad I read it before day one) as does my fish oil caps. I bought liquid fish oil at Whole Foods and will finish my caps after Whole30 so I don't waste the money I spent on them. 

Thanks for the curry recipe -- can't wait to try it!

Aha! A garden too! It must go along with being a foodie. I have a large vegetable garden. I just picked some fresh dill and used it with the mayo and some garlic powder and paprika to make a dip. I remembered seeing that ranch recipe, but I have looked at so many at different sites that I cant seem to find my way back to them. :) My Well Fed cookbook should be arriving any day now so should be easier to find them. It helps that I work from home, so can cook some of the time consuming stuff throughout the day. I have some ground veal and ground buffalo so may try your meatballs with that combo. Thanks for the recipe. I made the beef bone broth in the pressure cooker for lunch. It is cooling down now, so will let you know how it turns out later.

Archived