Official Start date 6/18/13

jsmphoto

Today is Day 14 for me (technically started 6/17) but I like this group, so I'll keep checking in. I had a birthday party to go to yesterday, and I knew there wouldn't be any food I could eat (catered by a taco cart) so I ate a BAS (big a$$ salad) ahead of time and was so busy mingling and taking care of my baby that I didn't even notice the food. The hostess came over and asked me if I needed anything, and I just said "No thank you. I ate earlier." And surprise surprise she was totally fine with that. Sometimes you don't have to go into a long song and dance about what you can't eat etc etc. Most people really don't care if you eat or not. Unless it's your great grandma and she spent all day cooking a special treat just for you, and even then it's still your choice. It's great to have a good attitude and not beat yourself up, but always remember what you eat is your choice (unless you're in a life and death situation where food is limited/unavailable).

Stick with it everyone! It's so worth it! I haven't felt this good in years. My running is so much better and I have way more energy, skin is clearer, clothes fitting looser. I will not go back to how I felt or looked before. No treat is worth it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it's not always that clear of a choice. While i was not in a technical life and death situation, I was in a potentially career-breaking situation for my husband. It was a small group, new boss's boss, boss's wife who had fixed the food, and if I had not eaten it would have been perceived as neurotic, at the very least. To try to explain would have been just intrusive and disruptive For me, eating whatever was in front of me was the best and right decision. Good luck to you, but don't judge me.  

Day 14 and things still moving along.  I'm craving everything right now and mostly all I'm thinking about is what foods I want to have once the 30 days is up.  I'm trying to get out of that mind-set but the pizza, burger, french fries, milkshake, cheetos, oreos, etc keep coming to my mind.  Hopefully this is just a phase.

Ah, I see KellyDB. My comment wasn't even about your situation. So funny we were both faced with food challenges this weekend! I was just sharing an obstacle I overcame, and that I was surprised the hostess didn't care that I didn't eat her food. In the past I would've indulged and then felt guilty about it. So in each situation you have to weigh what makes most sense, and then no guilt after- which you did. That's great :) Trust me- I'm not trying to offer advice (or judgement) to anyone! I've had enough of my own ups and downs to deal with. Just here to encourage and share what's going on with my Whole30 :)

BeachChica -- it must have just been the order in which the comments appeared, it looked as if you were schooling me. No offense taken, glad you understand where I'm coming from. Unfortunately, as illustrated by your example of if your great-grandmother made you a special dish, food is not just food, not only in our society but in many. It's a cultural touchstone. Also, for some people, ownership, control and accomplishment. So, ya gotta go with the flow sometimes!  

Still, I'm eating very well now, following Whole30 principles as much as possible with everything that's going on, and I know it's a great WOE when it can be sustained. Right now though I'm out of ghee!  Can't buy it at my local grocery stores, so I'm going to try to get out to Whole Foods in the next few days or so.  I've developed quite a taste for it! 

16 more days counting today... Things are going really well.  I have a craving for red meat.  I have not eaten red meat for years... but I think that if that is what I am craving I may have to pertake.  I find it funny that I am not wanting any of the things that I have been cutting out in this 30 day clean out... Anyway I had someone tell me yesterday that my face was thinner... WOOHOO they didnt even know about this challange.  SO still plugging along, kudos to all and keep on keeping on...

It's been awhile since I've had the chance to check in but my husband and I are still trucking along.  Thankfully the constant cravings seem to have subsided.  Hopefully they stay away.  Day 16!  Whoop!

Last night I dreamt of eating an entire bag of BBQ potato chips and also accidentally eating some of my son's cereal. Very strange. Things are going very good. My husband has made several recipes in Everyday Paleo. It's a good cookbook. We've had the butter chicken (super yum), fish with enchilada sauce (really good and I had lots of sauce leftover to have on top of a chicken breast the next day), and meatloaf (that one needs some tweaking).

July 9 and 9 days left... I feel awesome people say they see a difference... My meals are easier to come up with and I am not eating the exact same things lol... K have eaten some red meat cause my body truely needed me to my hb was 9.6 so a little low.... Which is also the reason I wasnt having alpt of change in energy but much better now... hope everyone else is good.

• 2 weeks later...

day 31 - we finished!!

my husband started with me and his mood was sooo bad on day 10, that he quit. his main problem is, that he doesn't want to eat a lot of different veggies and that he doesn't want to plan what to take to work. so he had (at least) one day where his lunch was tomatoes and cucumbers. 

I only asked him to eat whole30-style for the first few days with me - and he did!

have you started re-introducing food? or do you go on with whole30?

Archived