Anyone in their last week?

SaraG

I'm on day 26, Five more days to finish my first Whole30. I thought this last week would have been a breeze but I was wrong. It has taken more focus, conscious eating and some plain old willpower to just push through. The last couple of days were particularly difficult. I felt like I was just going through the motions. A couple of times I had the thought that I could just quit and go back to my life and forget that I'd ever seen this website. No one would really care. Except me. And that is the person that has to care the most. And I do. I haven't had any hunger or bad food cravings. I eat according to the template, though I had been going a little higher on the fat. But since I don't snack at all, I'm okay with that and this week, I just naturally started using less. (Mayonnaise--I still love you, but I don't need you on every single meal anymore.  :) )

That all being said, I just kept going. A friend invited me out for wine yesterday afternoon and after a busy work week, that sounded really good. But not good enough! I turned it down and was honest with her that I needed to really focus on finishing my 30 days. When I went to bed last night, I remember being really appreciative that I didn't have any alcohol in my system.

Today is Saturday and I am in a much better place mentally to finish my Whole30. I've kept a journal through out and I know that these bumps in the mental part are natural and part of the process. Wherever you are in your 30 days, don't give up! 

Awesome that you've decided to keep going!  It IS very much a mindset, isn't it?

​I'm in my last week too: a day behind you, on day 25.

To make a long story short, I was diagnosed with laryngitis yesterday. Besides banning talking for a few days, my doctor prescribed rest, hot drinks, tea with honey, and lozenges. I'm not doing the honey in tea, but I did get lozenges. Got the most natural I could find (everything I found had either real or fake sugar): Ricola. They have honey and sugar, near the end of the ingredient list. I guess W30 purists would count me out, but I'm going with the adage this is medicine and doctors trump W30.  With that, I'm choosing to press on with the W30 with the lozenges being my only non-compliance.

For me, I've seen too many benefits to hang it up this far in. My clothes are significantly more loose, I'm now enjoying getting up earlier in the morning (likely because I'm feeling rested), my skin looks terrific, my period has returned after an almost 2 year absence (what's THAT about?), and I'm shocked that I've had no cheese or chocolate cravings. I've fantasized about a glass of wine here and there, but  I can hang in there another 5 days. Oh, and I'm enjoying everything I'm eating and actually liking cooking again.  :) 

I'm on day 26 too.  I've been all over the place this whole time, including this week.  I've thought about quitting a few times.  Not because I've had bad cravings but because its still a lot of work for me to eat this way and i get sick of thinking about it. And I've been really stressed out with other life events so going out and picking something up would just be so much more convenient.  But I've pressed on which is pretty impressive for me.  This is definitely the longest I've ever gone without eating junk.  The cravings have been really manageable for me. I still think about junk and get a little twinge but I'm able to just ignore it and keep going.  I really dont think I'm losing weight though.  I might be less bloated but there's no difference in my clothes which is kind of discouraging for me.  If stress prevents you from losing weight, I'll NEVER get anywhere!  I have no idea where I'm going to go with this after i finish.  There's been some really positive things and some things that havent changed that have been disappointing for me.  like im still tired all the time. im just trying to do one day at a time right now and ill re-evaluate after.  really wish i was losing weight though.  it would make the decision about continuing or not so much easier for me.

For me, I've seen too many benefits to hang it up this far in. My clothes are significantly more loose, I'm now enjoying getting up earlier in the morning (likely because I'm feeling rested)

The weekends are definitely better. I get up early and usually have all my to-dos done by noon. I used to wake up and sit around all morning. I have nothing against a restful Saturday morning, and even plan for it, but I too much energy. Funny, until I wrote this I didn't realize that my energy actually is better now.

But I've pressed on which is pretty impressive for me. This is definitely the longest I've ever gone without eating junk. The cravings have been really manageable for me. I still think about junk and get a little twinge but I'm able to just ignore it and keep going. I really dont think I'm losing weight though. I might be less bloated but there's no difference in my clothes which is kind of discouraging for me. If stress prevents you from losing weight, I'll NEVER get anywhere

I haven't felt any change in how my clothes fit but I think I look better in them. I've been thinking today that I don't want to officially be on a Whole-anything after Wednesday but I do plan to keep eating the same. There is no food that I want to reintroduce yet. I'd like to give the healing more time--but without the pressure.

All the changes you have to make in the beginning of this can be stressful and life doesn't get less stressful just because we clean up our diets. You sound like I felt a couple of days ago--when I realized that while this has been good, it hasn't been amazing in every way that I had hoped. And for me, life and its problems didn't get magically fixed either. But I really do think that I'm thinking clearer, making good decisions, and going in a more positive direction.

I hope you have a great five days and feel some of the positive changes in the homestretch.

Archived