LindaLee: From Whole30 to Whole60

LindaLee

FINALLY made it through a Whole30! So excited...

Had two days with ice cream at night that was kind of meh. Kind of happy about that! Maybe ice cream has finally lost its hold over me!

Having a Paleo challenge at our gym and want to stay 100% compliant the rest of the time...and then stay ontrack until my husband and I leave for a long weekend in Indiana.

So...here I go...

Today was Day 1. 

Breakfast: beef and veggies with 1/2 avocado, carrots, olives, tea.

Started feeling lousy around 11:30 and didn't feel like lunch. Had some jerky and a few macadamia nuts to tide me over until I could get home.

Got home and around 4:00 made myself some bacon (Whole9 approved - US Wellness) and eggs, tomatoes, some olives, and green apple.

Rest day from Crossfit today, which is good, because my back was killing me after yesterday's deadlifts. 

See ya tomorrow!

Day 1 (again)...had "one last treat" last night...

It's been quite a week...but here I am, back on track and happy to be here. 

Breakfast today:

Beef and veggies with avocado, carrots and olives

Preworkout:

Two eggs and a handful of nuts

Crossfit:

Warmup: 4 rounds of running 200 meters, 5 pushups, 10 situps, and 15 squats

My back still is bothering me after Tuesday's deadlifts. I've just come to the conclusion that I need to go light, light, light on WODs and get my form down and super solid. I can't afford to get hurt; I don't want to take the time off to recover! So today's squats were a little less deep than usual, but I did them. 

Skill/Strength: max time bottom of squat (1:30) and plank hold (3:00 - I think I could have gone another minute, but the only other person in class dropped out at 2, so... He did do a lot longer squat hold than me - good for him!)

WOD: The always dreaded FRAN:

21-15-9 

Thrusters (I HATE thrusters. Hate them.) at 35# for me

Pullups - banded strict pullups for me, black band, learning to string them together

Time: 5:55. Last time, in December, my time was 9:18, with kipping banded pullups. So I'm happy!

Just gotta keep my chin up and not worry about anything but going in and doing the workouts. I probably will never Rx most workouts, but it just doesn't matter. I just want to be there.

Post-workout: salmon and jicama

Lunch: Turkey & veggies with avocado, salad, green apple

It's amazing that a five minute workout can wear you out. I was beat, but I wanted to get some extra cardio in - both for the challenge and to burn off last night's ice cream - so I went back to the box and rowed 4K. Now I'm really tired!

Dinner: Leftover stew (not sure what the meat was, LOL) from the freezer, sweet potato with Paleo mayo, olives, and blueberries/strawberries. Yummy!

Feeling great about making it through today. Ready to string some ice-cream-free days together to prove I've got that sugar demon on the run.

Join me!

Our Whole30 is going to be done on Sunday. My hubby is going to reintroduce beer and dark chocolate in moderation to his diet (as long as they don't make him feel awful) and generally be less strict about things like marinades and salad dressings when we're out at restaurants or at other people's houses; I, meanwhile, have decided to extend my Whole30, at least to 45 and likely to 60. I have struggled with allergy issues my whole life, so I feel like my gut needs more healing time and if I started going off-road or reintro-ing now, I wouldn't be giving it what it needs. Also my hormones have been doing wacky things so I'd like to give them another month too.

Anyway! Just thought I'd let you know I'm doing the same-ish thing, after I saw your post in the June group. :)

Yay, Malie! I know what really, REALLY helped me through my Whole30 this time was the conversations with others, both in my own log and in the June group. I'm like you - I think more time under my belt to really feel like I've reset my body, including my gut.

I love the weekends because I get to change up my meals - during the week, I eat pretty much the same thing day after day, week after week - at least during the day. I do all my cooking on Sunday and I don't want to spend the whole day in the kitchen. And by the time I get home from Crossfit at night, I really don't want to cook a big meal - and my husband is a "meat and (sweet) potatoes" kind of guy who couldn't care less about fancy recipes. So it's fun on the weekends to have something a little different.

After the struggle I had with my gut during much of my Whole30, I sought advice about possible candida dieoff and other gut issues. Tom and other folks recommended some probiotics and fermented foods

(oh, really cool Deadliest Catch coming on Tuesday...)

Sorry...had an ADD moment there, LOL...

Anyway, probiotics and fermented foods...got those in today, hooray! Going slow, though, as recommended.

Meals so far today:

Meal 1: Bacon, eggs, carrots, tomatoes, olives and tea. 

Off to run errands - bank, jewelry store to swap some earring backs, farmers market (rutabega, peppers, cucumbers, onion, and oh, tons of kale!!), produce stand, meat market, health food store, and finally evil Walmart for the things I couldn't get anywhere else (olives and household things). Whew. 

Meal 2: Turkey "sausage" with one teaspoon of Bubbie's relish (highly recommended - DELICIOUS), sweet potato with Paleo mayo, tomatoes, and blueberries, plus some more of my delicious tea.

We're just relaxing now on a beautifully cool day in Missouri, getting ready to go to Mass tonight...

Dinner tonight:

I'm not sure how this happened, but I had this leftover stew. I put an avocado in it and sprinkled it with some pink Himalayan salt, then spooned it over spinach.

It was AMAZING.

So I had that and some blueberries and raspberries with coconut butter.

And now I'm having some ginger tea.

My husband kindly went to church an hour early with me so I could go to Reconciliation. I haven't been for a long time (four months), and I've had some things weighing heavily on my spirit. I felt so relieved afterward, at peace with God. I always do, and I always wonder why I don't go more often.

During my Mass we got a heavy rain there and at home, and the temperature dropped about 20 degrees! It's deliciously cool outside right now.

<happy sigh>

Day 3...I'm adjusting my supplements, too, so I'm going to record those...

Meal 1: after making mustard chicken and cutting my veggies and drinking 44 ounces of water...
Eggs with kale (fresh kale from the farmers market! Yay!)
Bacon
Grape tomatoes with 1 teaspoon of relish
Olives

Off to my cooking morning...

Supplements: 1 digestive enzyme, 1 Curamin

Later:

Cooking done: beef and veggies, turkey and veggies, salads, and the above-named chicken. 

Then ran a mile in 7 minutes! WOW, best ever!! Amazing what a flat road (compared to the hill where we usually run a mile) and great temperatures - 73! - can make. Back exercises, then a nice shower, then lunch:

Meal 2:

Turkey "burger" with Bubbie's relish (yummm)

Sweet potato with Paleo mayo

Tomatoes and carrots

Blueberries and strawberries with coconut butter - one thing I love about summer is that my house gets warm enough for my coconut butter to turn liquid again. :)

My hubby isn't feeling very well so he's having a nap while I watch rom-coms and try to work up the courage to pay my bills.

LATER:

We got a lovely, lovely rainstorm around 5:00! It was one of those showers that makes our house sound and feel like it's in the middle of a rainforest. We opened the door to the downstairs deck and just enjoyed it from our bedroom. Happy, happy sigh.

Meal 3:

Turkey "burger" with mayo. I really wanted more relish, but the blog said to take it easy with the fermented food at first, so I resisted. :)

Tomatoes

Blueberries and strawberries with coconut butter

I was worried about whether coconut was causing some of my bloating issues at the start of my Whole30, so I had eliminated it. Probably should be easing into it a little more slowly now, so I'll likely cut back a little bit more. 

Back to work tomorrow, darn it. It's been such a pleasant weekend - so much cooler than it has been. The good news is that it's a three day week for me, since I'm taking Thursday and Friday off work.

Digestive enzymes and Curamin...will have fish oil and magnesium before I go to bed.

Day 3 of 60 done!

What a dang day.

Day 4

Meal 1: beef and veggies, carrots and olives, plus digestive enzymes and curamin

Meal 2: salad, turkey and veggies, green apple, plus digestive enzymes and curamin

Hungry with a headache so had some nuts

Pre-workout: hard boiled egg and almonds

Crossfit:

Warmup: 800 meters and the classic Everett

Strength: Deadlifts 3 x 5. Sigh. I put 75 pounds on the bar and focused on form, form, form. In the end, it was a good thing.

WOD: 5 rounds for time of 100 double unders (300 singles for me) and 10 handstand pushups (box pushups for me)

Then I ran a mile with the Bride of our Ripped Bride challenge. My ankles are not happy with me right now.

Then I got into my truck and...it wouldn't start.

AAA.

Had my post workout meal of salmon and jicama

Garage.

My husband came to pick me up, and all I could think of was how much I desperately wanted the ice cream that is in my basement freezer. What stopped me was that I am still seeing results, though not really feeling great (I honestly think I'm a little sick), not wanting to cheat on our challenge, and my husband being home.

So instead I had:

Meal 3: bacon, eggs, tomatoes, carrots, and fresh blueberries (picked by my coach and his kids!) with coconut butter. Oh and digestive enzymes and curamin.

Have a raging headache and exhausted. Should sleep great tonight. Probably no workout tomorrow depending on what's going on with my truck.

Archived