Pain relief alternatives

So, I know that OTC meds can be used for pain.  I actually can't take NSAIDs.  :(   I occasionally use Tylenol, but worry about sending too much of it into my system.

I am experiencing pelvic pain that is in the process of being evaluated.  That part is covered.  Pain relief in the interim has not been covered.  I tried heat and the quality of the pain actually changed to a burning pain, so it looks like heat is not going to be an option.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other types of pain relief?  (I'll be calling the doctor tomorrow, but not interested in narcotics, either, and the one practitioner of functional medicine near me has recently moved.)

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

Your mention of heat not working suggests trying cold. Like maybe an ice bath. I tried them a few years ago when Dallas and Melissa blogged about them a few times as an excellent recovery technique. I dumped the contents of my ice maker in a bath tub filled with cold water and got in. It wasn't as much ice as the Hartwig's recommended, but it was COLD. I became numb. I wonder if that would help you.

I, too, suffered from pelvic pain and it was quite severe for a while. I took narcotics, ibuprofen, etc., but also listened to a pain management CD when the pain was too much and I was all worked up. The one I use is by Hemi-Sync. Sounds corny or like a hoax, but it worked quite well. I'm not implying that the pain is in your head; but it is possible to allow your body and mind to relax and try to ignore pain signals. I wouldn't rely on it solely, but use it in part with other methods.

I let a friend borrow it after s hysterectomy as she had severe reactions to narcotics. She said it was a huge help.

Another thing that worked for me was acupuncture. I only got a few days relief at a time, but at the time, it was worth it.

Thanks, Tom.  Not sure why I haven't tried cold - maybe thought cold was for recent injury and not a somewhat chronic internal thing.  96 out today in colorful Colorado.  Wonder if I can convince myself to climb into an icy tub.  I know I can try an ice pack or some frozen peas that won't be going on my plate.  ;)

Karen,  thank you for sharing with me.  I have used a CD for relaxation and meditation before and actually think it might help now as I await my next appointment.  The physical pain seems even less profound than the anxiety, so a pain management CD sounds perfectly reasonable.  Looks like it will take a few days to get the pain-specific one shipped here.

FYI - I just did a quick search of iTunes and that particular pain management CD is available there.  If you have a MP3 player, you may be able to avoid the wait.  I'm sure there are others out there, but that's the only one I have experience with.  Good luck while you wait for your next appointment.  I know how frustrating that can be when you're in pain and waiting doesn't seem like an option.  

FYI - I just did a quick search of iTunes and that particular pain management CD is available there.  If you have a MP3 player, you may be able to avoid the wait.  I'm sure there are others out there, but that's the only one I have experience with.  Good luck while you wait for your next appointment.  I know how frustrating that can be when you're in pain and waiting doesn't seem like an option.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you so much for checking.  That's really kind.  It sounds as though you really get it; I'm a little sad that you do and happy to have you out there at the same time.  Being that the hubby works for Microsoft, I'm not an iPanything girl.  Sad today and also sad that I have to wait for the NomNom book and can't get the App.  I do thank Microsoft that I have food, shelter, and health insurance, though.  :)

Again, thank you!

Yup, I really get it.  I was pushed around to 6 different doctors in 4 months before someone even came close to helping.  In the end, I blazed my own trail and got control of my pain doing things my way.  You'll figure it out.  But if you need to chat in the meantime, look me up.

Acupuncture really helped my husband with debilitating knee pain while he was waiting for surgery. He couldn't take prescription pain meds during the day because he had to drive and work. OTC pain meds didn't work at all.

He was very skeptical about acupuncture but gave it a shot when the situation was desperate. He said that before the treatment, his pain was a consistent 8 - 9 and after it was an intermittent 1 - 2. The relief lasted two weeks, which got him to his surgery.

Archived