Let's start at the very beginning...and keep on going! Whole30 turned Whole30+

amberino21

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 36

- 3 egg omelette with mushrooms, garlic, spring onion and broccoli. Salad from G's leftover lunch (he ate the protein out of it) with mayo, zucchini baked, coated in CO

- big salad with chicken and mayo

- pre wO HB eggs

- post WO chicken & sweet potato

- kangaroo and vegie curry with cauli/leek mash, broccoli and beans, baked sweet potato, fruit, coconut milk

I was super organised yesterday - and then my plan came unstuck!! Oh dear - a gig I had in my diary for months as being tonight is actually tomorrow! I'd prepped all meals for today and tomorrow yesterday as the gig meant working late giving me no time to prep for tomorrow today...confusing much?

Haha....

It's ok - after some adjusting of meals, tomorrow's food just isn't overly exciting!

Day 37

- chicken and vegie tomatoey casserole with cauli/leek mash, roasted zucchini, steamed greens with CO and mayo.

(This was split in to two meals as I had a long day anyway)

- huge salad with chicken, egg, avo, coconut vinegar

- preWO a bit of chicken, egg and avo rescued from my lunch - we weren't supposed to be working out!

-postWO got home before training to get chicken and sweet potato

- osso bucco with cauli/leek mash, sautéed cabbage, steamed greens with CO and mayo, fruit and coconut milk.

Now! Day 38 is also organised...and I'm starting early and working late...

- frittata with lots of vegies herbs and salmon, salad of mixed leaves with roasted vegies and mayo. Split over two meals

- kangaroo curry with steamed vegies, grapefruit

- same frittata from breakfast, salad, avo

Day 38

This morning G wanted something different for breakfast - he was leaving early, and I was planning on sleeping in...but decided to get up to make him something that wasn't as non-whole 30 as he might have created. We used to have protein pancakes every day (egg white, whey protein and oats) with peanut butter. that's what he wanted - I asked if he'd thought about reintro-ing a few things at once!

he still got his pancake - I made it with eggs, sweet potato, coconut flour and apple pie spice, then spread ghee and almond butter on it. not enough vegies (hmm) but at least it was better than what he might have created!

I had

-mushroom and leek omelette, baked zucchini, steamed broccoli and beans, sautéed cabbage, mayo

-spicy vegie and chicken in tomato sauce with mixed lettuce, leftover cabbage, guacamole (1 avo) and salsa

-roo Bolognese, zucchini noodles, roast sweet potato, mayo, fruit, coconut milk

And I think I have an issue with avocado.

I haven't had any in a couple of weeks, but decided to buy some again on the weekend.

Had half with a salad on Tuesday, and half last night.....have been a bit more gassy/bloated than normal. Had a whole avo with lunch today. Huge bloat (like hard stomach, but looks like a pregnant lady!), gassy... Now TMI alert!

but can't get rid of the gas because it feels like I'm going to lose everything, but if I go to the toilet nothing happens!

Frustrated at how I feel and not knowing 100% if its the avo!

Been reading over some of your blog Amberino. Do you exclude nuts? I am nearly at the end of my whole 30 and haven't had success with some of my goals but I eat nuts every day, have done since I started eating paleo a year ago. Going to eliminate them and carry on for two more weeks before I reintro anything. I am enjoying not counting macros and calories but I don't think my body has changed at all. One good thing though, I have realised that the supplements I was taking, whey, aminos, creatine, weren't doing anything for me because I am as strong as I was and my work capacity hasn't lessened . Think I will spend the money on meat and seafood instead! Did you take measurements before you started? Any change? Sorry about all the questions but I am a bit discouraged today. I seem to get so far with my physique goals and then stick at the same point every time and as you are a body builder I am interested in your experience .

I just read your post.... And kind of feel like you could have written the positives/negatives for me (although a couple of negatives don't apply!)

I have eaten nuts twice - nut butter in a dressing! That's its. My body comp hasn't changed - I may have put on a bit of muscle, but I certainly haven't lost anything. If anything I feel "chunkier". Not something I'm happy about! I didn't take measurements, but I can see/feel it in my clothes...

I am enjoying the freedom from not counting an measuring, but really not sure how to get the results I want without some sort of monitoring.

I'm also loving the 3 meals and not thinking so much about food. It may be a case of stick to the template, but actually write down amounts so I have something to go on

That said, my week of upping the fat doesn't seem to have done a lot either way!

We used whey (grass fed, no artificial sweeteners, fillers, chemicals, yaddayadda) before, but nothing else.....IMO I think that may be better for postWO than trying to digest a piece of meat.

I've been living a controlled sort of diet for a while - and know how to step out of the boundaries for planned events (special meals out, one day "off" a week etc) and have no issue with the odd drink...I'm not sure what I can suggest there! I just know in myself that life is about living sometimes, and just being free to enjoy the odd splurge is probably not as bad as the stress from worrying about what it's potentially doing to your insides.

Thanks, I think I am just having a bad day! I wouldn't mind the sacrifice of missing the family events etc if I could look down and see rock hard abs to remind me WHY I was doing it or if I was beasting my workouts. Monday I had a brilliant workout, yesterday I was terrible! I won't give up, I will soldier on without the nuts and then try to reintroduce a few things. Yeah, guzzling whey is a lot handier on the way out of the gym than chomping on cold chicken!

i'm still trying to give it a go without going back to my old ways....I really want to feel and look how I want though, so i'll have to do something at some point if I don't get there just eating. I've upped my fats and lowered my starchy carbs (I'm having some post workout, and at dinner on training nights..thats it!). that may not be doing me any favours either, or it could be great. gah! would it count if I could employ a chef to count the calories and weigh the food for me?

Day 39

- mushroom, leek, chicken omelette (3 eggs), steamed beans and broccoli, baked zucchini, mayo

-salad of mixed leaves, grilled vegies, roast beef, mayo and balsamic to dress

- preWO 2 HB eggs with coconut butter

- postWO chicken, sweet potato

- ratatouille with chicken, zucchini noodles, roast sweet potato, broccoli, beans, mayo, fruit with coconut milk.

i'm still trying to give it a go without going back to my old ways....I really want to feel and look how I want though, so i'll have to do something at some point if I don't get there just eating. I've upped my fats and lowered my starchy carbs (I'm having some post workout, and at dinner on training nights..thats it!). that may not be doing me any favours either, or it could be great. gah! would it count if I could employ a chef to count the calories and weigh the food for me?

That is what I do, carbs post workout and in the last meal if training the next day. I am experimenting with less fat now. I think I had too much omega 6 from nuts. Now it will be coconut milk and oil, avocado and whatever is in my meat and eggs. Macros are a nightmare. I have tried every possible combination to change my body comp but not found the magic formula yet. I did however wear a pair of shorts yesterday that were tight before the Whole 30 and they were comfortable so something is changing. I guess we both need to be patient and committed and keep trying little adjustments until it falls into place : )

Day 40

- 3 egg omelette with mushrooms, chicken, onion garlic and lots of herbs, sautéed cabbage and steamed broccoli/beans with mayo

- salad of mixed leaves, grilled vegies, roast beef and mayo/balsamic

- chicken curry with cauli rice, steamed greens, fruit and coconut milk.

Yesterday I guesstimated my food and entered it in to MFP. Not in the spirit of whole 30 I know, but I've been considering whether I need to start monitoring to reach specific physique goals.

I eat pretty similarly every day, and it came out to approx 3000 cals, 50% fat, 30% protein and 20% carbs. I was surprised that, while I'm not getting leaner, I don't think I'm getting much fatter! That's a lot of food....and adjusting to lose fat wouldn't be hard. I didn't balk at the calories or amount of fat, so that's a huge positive in the scheme of things! I'm also happy to know I'm getting plenty of protein, and still have a really decent amount of carbs despite not eating a lot of starchy ones.

Experiment "drop fat and fit in to wedding dress" starts today - I have to put it on in two weeks for a photoshoot! I've put on a lot of muscle since getting married 3 years ago, and unless I lose some fat, the zip is never going to the top!

I was investigating bodybuilding and low carb diets yesterday as *most* of the info you read supports high carb. low carb is possible, with the benefit of potentially losing fat (just like whole30 really!). a plan I found suggests low carb most of the week - with 1 or 2 "refeed" meals. no carbs post training. i'm going to cut back a little on everything, and limit starchy carbs to once a week for the next two weeks, unless I feel my workouts are really suffering. i'll coincide the refeed meal with leg day as this is my biggest workout. i'll limit fruit most of the time (and stick to berries).

so

Day 41

-3 egg omelette with mushroom, leek and herbs, sautéed cabbage and steamed broccoli and beans coated in CO and a spoon of mayo.

-postWO chicken

-huge salad with chicken and mayo

-kangaroo curry, cauli/leek mash, roast brussel sprouts, steamed broccoli/beans in CO.

Day 41 - big legs day, so according to my plan, ill have plenty of carbs tonight, after training. I am planning one "refeed" night a week, so this will be it til next Monday.....unless I feel like I'm lacking strength/energy later in the week.

- 3 egg omelette with mushrooms, leek and herbs, sautéed cabbage and steamed greens in CO/coconut butter

- salad (mixed leaves and lots of green vegies) with chicken and mayo

- pre WO HB egg (1)

- post WO chicken

- osso bucco with sweet potato and pumpkin mash, roast Brussel sprouts, steamed greens with CO/butter, fruit with coconut milk.

Wow - probably the carb overload compared to other days, but feeling sluggish tonight! Bed is definitely calling - hoping it doesn't effect my sleep.

Tomorrow, Day 42

Long day, meal one is split between two meals...

- 3 egg frittata, baked with vegies. Salad with mayo

- huge salad with chicken and mayo/ACV dressing

- roo bolognese, steamed greens in coconut oil

I realised half way through today that I'd run out of the house this morning without getting bolognese out of the freezer to defrost for dinner!! Oh dear.....

Never mind, we're having coconut crumbed, pan fried local snapper and prawns with salad and lemony/parsley/mayo dressing instead :)

We had our first "near miss" last night - The prawns I bought had sulfites, luckily I realised before I even started preparing them! I bought them frozen, labelled as local, didn't even think to check....noticed the "ingredients" when I turned the packet over to get some out... Grr!

We had plenty of fish and it was delicious!! The crumbs were fantastic - I whizzed shredded coconut up with herbs and spices, floured the fish (coconut flour), egg wash and then crumb. Pan fried in coconut oil.

Day 43 - and "it starts with food" arrives on my doorstop :) I figured I probably should read it, and I love health/nutrition books. I ordered a few at the same time - gary taubes' "good calories. Bad calories." and "why we get fat" also turned up :)

Meals:

- 3 egg vegie frittata with salad and mayo/ACV dressing

- roo curry with steamed vegies, and spinach, extra coconut butter for fat. There was a bit of coconut milk in the curry. Split this meal in to 2 - meal one was very early, so it kind of made sense.

- preWO chicken with coconut butter

- postWO chicken

- steak with cauli/leek mash with ghee, steamed vegies with CO and roast Brussel sprouts. Maybe mushroom sauce...

Day 44

- 2 egg omelette with chicken and mushrooms, sautéed cabbage (or sauerkraut if mine is fine/ready!), grilled zucchini, steamed broccoli, mayo

- huge salad with salmon and mayo/ACV dressing

- osso bucco with sautéed cabbage cooked with ghee, steamed greens with coconut oil, mayo

My sauerkraut tasted pretty good! I hope it's ok...didn't feel any negative effects from it.

Day 45

- 3 egg omelette with mushrooms and leek, roast broccoli and zucchini, sautéed cabbage, mayo

- salad with chicken, mayo/ACV dressing

- preWO chicken & coconut butter

- postWO chicken

- chicken curry with zucchini noodles, steamed greens in CO/butter, roast cauliflower

Day 46!

- 3 egg omelette with mushroom and leek, sautéed cabbage, baked broccoli an zucchini, mayo

- huge salad with salmon, mayo/ACV dressing

- osso bucco with cauli/leek mash, sautéed cabbage, steamed green beans and broccoli in CO/coconut butter, mayo.

Today was a tired day...and a hungry day!!

We spent the day out enjoying the sunshine - cafe with friends for coffee/tea, trip to a park in the city for picnic lunch, before shopping in the city, then to the grocers for vegetables. I'm exhausted! Not sure if its because I haven't really been busy, or all the sun...or because I'm starting to get low on energy from staying away from starchy carbs?

Had a win at the grocers - prosciutto made with only pork and salt! Others I've seen have had extra Ingredients that I didn't want....close enough to bacon for us (can't find that compliant either!) and we'll enjoy some with eggs for breakfast or in salad :)

Archived