Let's start at the very beginning...and keep on going! Whole30 turned Whole30+

amberino21

My "stress" is constant busyness....that I put on myself, but can't really lessen. I'm great at being busy, but often just want time to stop.

I haven't got any MCT oil...I have heard of it, but must say I haven't looked in to it and don't know the benefits.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was a busy day in the kitchen...

- rogan josh, from scratch, using a piece of organic lamb with a bone. (3 meals)

- osso bucco with loads of veggies (3 meals)

- veggie based tomato sauce to add to dishes

- roasted vegies - mountains of sweet potato and pumpkin, some beetroot, carrots, parsnip, fennel, as well as balsamic roasted cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, capsicum, mushrooms, eggplant, Brussel sprouts, garlic cloves.

- baked spiced chicken breast - for postWO and to add to breakfast

Last night we also made kangaroo bolognaise, and have leftovers of that in the freezer.

Day 8

- eggs cooked with chicken/veggies/tomato sauce, with steamed greens coated in CO and roast pumpkin/sweet potato, plus some guacamole

- salad of chicken, balsamic roast veggies, mixed leaves and mayo/ACV (same as yesterday, requested by G), with some fruit

- post WO bake

- rogan josh with cauliflower rice, perhaps some steamed greens. Fruit with coconut milk.

the PWO is grated starchy vegies - I used the food processor to make it quicker - smooshed together with chicken breast that I mince myself in the processor, a few egg whites and lots of herbs and spices. I just baked it in lasagna size trays lined with baking paper, then cut it up, but you could use muffin tins :)

Love this idea for PWO meal! That's an area I struggle with because I really don't want to lug a tupperware of meat and veg to the gym -- but this is small and discreet, I'll have to give it a try :)

Day 9

I think I may have an issue with vegies - I've been bloated and gassy a lot, and its not pleasant! I do eat a lot or vegies, especially green, so it may just be too much insoluble fiber, but It's also been suggested by another forum member that I try to have low FODMAP veggies as this may be my issue - we eat a lot of onion/leek/spring onion/garlic and vegies on the "avoid" list, but we also eat a lot of nightshades..argh!

I really hope I don't have an issue with nightshades, I love them! Can't say I've noticed any negative reactions to them before. I'm going to try less green, and also less onion and garlic and see how that goes.

Day 9 meals...

-Omelette with chicken...and less vegies :( ...mayo...and some fruit with coconut milk

- chicken curry with zucchini noodles we got home later than expected, and I needed to go out again...and chicken curry was still frozen!! had chicken/egg salad with mixed lettuce, tomato, cucumber, capsicums and mayo

- osso bucco with cauliflower mash?, fruit with coconut milk plus some pumpkin/sweet potato/zucchini roasted in ghee (first whole 30 ghee experience! loved it on vegies, not so much in coffee)

I had less fibrous vegies today, and definitely experienced less bloating. had a great day energy wise, and a friend commented that I seemed calmer/happier with life :) we've also noticed that sleep has been a lot better for both of us!

we got a big iherb delivery today - coconut flour, coconut butter, coconut aminos, coconut vinegar and GHEE! tried BP coffee (meh), then roasted some vegies in it for dinner - tasty!

Day 10 tomorrow - 1/3 through!

- eggs chicken, veggie omelette with spinach and mayo, fruit, coffee with Coconut butter

- chicken curry with zucchini noodles

- preWO HB egg with mayo

- postWO bake

- beef and vegie stiry fry, fruit and coconut milk

starting to think I have more energy - I definitely don't have the lethargy or 'urgh' feeling I had in the first few days!

experimenting with lower FODMAP options - I haven't used garlic or onion (boo! love these), and trying to avoid the veggies and fruit on the "avoid" list. I had some with breakfast (mushrooms, broccoli) and had a couple of effects not long after. I avoided the vegies for the rest of the day and didn't notice the same effects....i'll keep trying!

we started a new training style/program the same time as we started our whole 30, so it's difficult to judge whether our strength has dropped or increased. we both have energy in the gym though. I've very rarely had DOMS (not since I can remember), so I can't gauge whether recovery is any better..

tomorrow is Day 11!

we'll be eating

- eggs, chicken, veggie (inc sweet potato) omelette with mayo

- postWO baked sweet potato, chicken breast

- mexican salad (using chilli con carne) with guacamole

- roast chicken, ghee roast vegies, steamed greens and fruit with coconut milk

i'm struggling slightly with the low FODMAP thing - i'm not 100% sure if these things are my issue, or if i'm just overthinking things, or if I'm imagining stomach issues, or my expectations of how my body works are too high (consistent BM, no gurgling, bloating, no smelly gas etc)

....I think I don't want the high FODMAP foods to be an issue because I want to eat them! I have a fridge full of delicious things. I could quite happily sit down to a massive bowl of cauli/leek mash, or steamed broccoli, roast brussel sprouts, pan fried mushrooms etc. and I love onion and garlic. LOVE. I want to crunch in to an apple. and eat my chilli cooked with onion and garlic with a massive dollop  of guacamole.

anyway! i'm trying. hopefully I see changes in digestion or have less bloating/gas etc.

DAY 12 today :)

breakfast -

(G) leftover roast dinner omelette - heated the leftover chicken and vegies in a pan, cracked the eggs over the top, served with mayo, fruit&coconut milk.

(A) zucchini and a few eggplant "chips", baked with EVOO and spices in the oven, with tomato sauce/capsicum/spinach/chicken baked eggs served on spinach/rocket, fruit with coconut milk.

- salad - mixed leaves, chicken, egg, tomato, cucumber, capsicum, mayo

- preWO HB egg/s

- postWO chicken and sweet pot/pumpkin

- zucchini pasta with a creamy coconut milk sauce with dill and salmon - I stirred beaten eggs through the warm mix somewhat like carbonara (to increase protein), fruit

Day 13

sent (G) off surfing with an omelette (mushroom, onion, capsicum), a container of chicken and sweet pot/pumpkin for after, and an apple

(A) eggs cooked in a tomato/capsicum/zucchini sauce with some chicken, served on spinach with zucchini "chips" and mayo, pineapple

-chicken and egg salad with mixed lettuce, alfalfa, cucumber, tomato, capsicum, bit of sweet pot/pumpkin and mayo

haven't planned dinner yet!! oh dear :P we haven't much in the fridge but can't shop til later on this afternoon. we also need to eat our way through the mountain of meals in the freezer as the freezer needs to be defrosted and repaired late in the week.

(Dinner ended up being steak pan cooked in ghee, a tomatoey zucchini and bean thing, CO roast root veggies and zucchini chips with a bit of mayo)

We're still remarking on how much better out sleep is! I feel like its a lot deeper sleep, and I've been remembering my dreams a lot more. No weird food dreams though :)

Sticking to low FODMAP veggies seems to have made a difference to me the past few days, it'll be interesting to see what happens next week when we eat the freezer meals that have lots of the veggies to avoid in them!

Day 14

-Omelette with chicken, spinach, capsicum/zucchini/tomato chilli sauce, baked root veggies and zucchini, fruit with coconut milk. G also had mushrooms

-preWO HB eggs

-postWO chicken and baked sweet pot/pumpkin

-chicken/egg salad with a mix of balsamic roast veggies and mayo/ACV dressing

-roast dinner - roast beef and veggies (steamed, roasted), fruit with coconut milk

Our roast dinner was great, even better, there's leftovers! I even made a sauce/gravy from the pan juices, tomato sauce, a little balsamic vinegar and coconut aminos. I let it reduce whilst getting everything ready to serve - It was so tasty...ill admit I only made gravy from scratch once before and it had cornflour to thicken, red wine etc...

I had a little bit of broccoli...minuscule...and don't seem to have any negative effects from it. Fingers crossed!

Day 15 tomorrow - half way through :)

Roast dinner leftovers for meal 1? Perhaps! Or we may stick to our normal eggs :)

- huge salad of baked chicken breast, egg, mixed leaves, roast root vegies, tomato, capsicum, tomato, herbs, mayo/ACV dressing

- preWO HB eggs

- postWO chicken, baked sweet potato/pumpkin

-osso bucco with zucchini noodles and green beans for me, cauli/leek mash for G, fruit and coconut milk

Well, interestingly I had a sauce at lunch with onion/garlic/mushroom and had no issues whatsoever...

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day for me - I leave home at 6am, and working til 10pm. On Tom Denham's suggestion, I'm going to have a couple of extra meals. Ill have smaller breakfast, then morning tea (probably the protein/fat of one meal spread over 2 with lots of vegies), lunch, small afternoon tea, dinner

- vegie frittata "muffins", fruit

- leftover roast beef, grilled veggies, spinach balsamic and mayo

- salad with chicken and mayo/ACV dressing

- HB egg with celery/carrot sticks

- leftover roast beef, roast veggies and salad. Fruit and coconut milk

Day 17 :)

- spicy tomato and vegie sauce with chicken, over zucchini noodles and spinach, steamed greens, roasted sweet potato/pumpkin with mayo, fruit with coconut milk and a coffee with coconut butter whizzed through.

- salad with greens, and veggies, chicken, egg, mayo and coconut vinegar. A small serve of roast sweet potato/pumpkin soup I made to bring to work as part of a big morning tea contribution.

- lamb rogan josh with steamed veggies, a bit of coconut milk. Fruit with coconut milk.

These days are flying by - we're enjoying being more relaxed about food, spending less time worrying about what and when we're eating, and we're both sleeping really well. I think my perspective of my body image is changing too - in a positive way. Body composition hasn't really changed, but I'm becoming more accepting of being "bigger". I'm not big by any means, but competing and seeing yourself for extended periods at low BF% messes with your head a little when you put (necessary) body fat back on!

We're starting to just live - its nice! Tonight we took a friends offer of tickets to a concert. Before, workouts would have taken precedence. I'm a musician, and must admit I haven't made time to pursue musical activities outside of working. We both really enjoyed it!

Tomorrow, day 18

Early WO....urgh!

-preWO chicken breast pieces with mayo

-postWO chicken breast pieces and sweet potato/pumpkin

- green chicken and vegetable curry with zucchini noodles, spinach and kale, coffee with coconut butter

- eggs baked in vegetable/tomato sauce with salad and roast sweet potato with mayo

-kangaroo bolognaise with zucchini noodles, grilled capsicum and mushrooms, fruit and coconut milk.

Day 19

We've been out at night a lot this week - dinners have been pre made and eaten cold or heated up just before leaving home and packed in an insulated bag so they're still warm when we eat them. Tonight we've been invited to a quiz night!

- omelette (more white than yolk due to fat in curry) with salmon (and probably lots of dill!), green chicken and vegetable curry, steamed greens and roast sweet potato, mayo. coffee with coconut butter

- green chicken and vegetable curry on slightly wilted spinach. Vegetable based tomato sauce with salmon, on zucchini noodles

-preWO coconut crumbed chicken strips with mayo
-postWO chicken breast and sweet potato/ pumpkin

- huge rainbow salad of mixed veggies, coconut crumbed chicken strips, egg, and a little mayo/ACV dressing. Fruit

does anyone else get in to the kitchen, thinking they know what they're having for the day then change it completely? I guess that's a benefit of having random things pre made and a fridge full of vegetables!

Day 20! 2/3's done!

- mushroom, spinach and herb omelette cooked in ghee, chicken and vegies cooked in tomato sauce, roast sweet potato and pumpkin with mayo, coffee with coconut butter

- salad with coconut crumbed chicken, HB eggs, loads of vegies, mayo/ACV dressing

- rogan josh with steamed vegies, fruit & coconut milk

- working til 11, will likely take a little meal - chicken pieces, mayo, vegie sticks.

We've just done our big shop for the week - on the menu to prepare for the freezer

- osso bucco

- roo bolognaise

- lamb curry

- green chicken curry

And attempting sauerkraut!

Day 21!

I ate out for the first time since being on our whole 30 - I emailed the restaurant ahead of time to ask questions as I knew they would be busy and did t want to be an even bigger pain when ordering at the counter. I got what I can only hope was a compliant breakfast!

Omelette with spinach and cherry tomatoes, cooked in olive oil, with rocket and avocado. It was severely light in vegies but I kind of expected that! When ordering I specified no dairy - the omelette was supposed to have cheese, and asked for no ham or roasted capsicum as I wasn't sure whether these were compliant or not!

- postWO chicken breast and roast sweet potato/pumpkin

- huge salad with coconut crumbed chicken, egg and mayo/ACV dressing

- dinner from the selection in the above post!

We now have a massive jar of cabbage hopefully turning itself into sauerkraut....I used 3 big cabbage heads!!

Day 22

- mushroom, roast onion and chicken omelette with herbs, steamed broccoli and green beans, grilled zucchini, eggplant and capsicum, and baked sweet potato/pumpkin....all drizzled in runny mayo. coffee with coconut butter

- salad with leftover roast vegetables (starchy and non) with roast lamb and balsamic vinegar and mayo

- preWO HB egg

- postWO chicken breast, sweet potato/pumpkin

- chicken curry with steamed greens, cauli rice. Fruit

We got home late, and the thought of making breakfast and lunches for tomorrow, as well as cook vegies for dinner tonight seemed overwhelming....so chicken curry got portioned out with veggies for lunch (the vegies are raw and we figure they'll cook enough when we're heating the curry in the microwave at work!)

Dinner turned in to eggs baked in vegetables based tomato sauce, spinach and rocket, green beans and roast sweet potato/pumpkin

For Day 23, I have another long day. Breakfast is at 5:30, so I have included a mini meal to get me through til lunch (at 2)

-Frittata with eggplant, zucchini, capsicum, mushrooms, spring onion.

-mini meal of chicken breast pieces, vegetable sticks and a little tahini to dip.

-chicken curry with vegies

-roo bolognaise with zucchini noodles, fruit and coconut milk

I started taking some digestive enzymes today - I'm going to try and order the Now ones from iherb, but wanted to try something! I've noticed a difference in BM already. Perhaps coincidence but I've been more regular, and consistent.

I may have ruined my giant jar of sauerkraut...I didn't read anywhere until today that oxygen was bad for it! I opened my jar after a day because I thought it was going to explode! The cabbage was all still under the liquid, and no change in colour or mould. I've sealed it back up now, so hoping that a day and a half of not being completely sealed wont ruin it. Ill know for next time!

Our food for tomorrow, Day 24!

- normal combination of eggs, chicken, veggies, including sweet pot/pumpkin. Coffee with coconut butter

- massive salad of mixed leaves, chicken, vegies, mayo/ACV dressing

- preWO HB egg

- osso bucco, cauli/brocc and leek mash, steamed green beans. Fruit with coconut milk

Great goals to have :)  and I think we are probably on very similar paths. We've also eaten very well prior to this (primarily paleo) but I really am looking for a health overhaul, the same with the relationship to food but have also started weight training this year and love it so trying to balance the dietary intake with that appropriately (but I wouldn't call myself a body builder just yet).

Also I'm originally from Fremantle- we try and get back to WA once a year to hang with the family (in fact, found out today am having to go for work in the next few weeks) but WA has my heart. Life is not the same living here on the east coast and not having sunsets over the ocean. I keep seeing Facebook photos of my friends from home down the beach during winter and am so jealous-you guys seem to have had a fairly mild winter. Anyway, have now worked out how to follow threads so will keep an eye in here.

BTW, not sure if WA has Aldi there yet but just got back from our local Aldi and was really impressed with their organic and grass fed range.

I was just in Australia and I could not believe how good the quality of food is generally- but Aldi had full on grass fed steaks! Wowsers. Of course it was also very VERY easy to get rubbish food too but nevertheless I liked it. 

I started taking some digestive enzymes today - I'm going to try and order the Now ones from iherb, but wanted to try something! I've noticed a difference in BM already. Perhaps coincidence but I've been more regular, and consistent.

I may have ruined my giant jar of sauerkraut...I didn't read anywhere until today that oxygen was bad for it! I opened my jar after a day because I thought it was going to explode! The cabbage was all still under the liquid, and no change in colour or mould. I've sealed it back up now, so hoping that a day and a half of not being completely sealed wont ruin it. Ill know for next time!

Our food for tomorrow, Day 24!

- normal combination of eggs, chicken, veggies, including sweet pot/pumpkin. Coffee with coconut butter

- massive salad of mixed leaves, chicken, vegies, mayo/ACV dressing

- preWO HB egg

- osso bucco, cauli/brocc and leek mash, steamed green beans. Fruit with coconut milk

Reading your food log is making me mega hungry, How are you finding your performance since changing to this? Have you missed your Whey protein at all?

Archived