Conflicting food beliefs

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, though I have been more or less a healthy eater for years. I had never completely given up all the vices, so that's how this program differs from previous eating.

My question is about my 3 yr old. Her dad and I have very different views on eating, and it is really hard to get her to eat healthy when she gets a 3 day smorgasbord every other week. I feel like its a constant struggle and don't want to mess her up, lol, every mother's greatest fear.

I think you need to provide her not only with good choices, but get her involved and understanding why they're good choices. If she recognises that she feels good when she eats well as opposed to when she eats lots of junk she might start choosing or asking her dad for better things.

It would be hard when she's that little, but I know other young kids who know about "naughty numbers" and know that eating good food keeps them healthy and strong, and gives them lots of energy to play etc

Good luck!!

Thanks for your reply! I tell her all the time, and she can tell you whether basically anything is healthy vs unhealthy, and pros and cons of healthy vs unhealthy, she just doesn't have the will power yet. So I'm afraid that she will start to have guilt, plus she crashes when she gets home and is wild for 2 days. I guess maybe there is no answer until she is older, but I hate throwing in the towel when it's about lifelong healthy habits.

I don't think you can control what goes on at the other house.  But you can feed her well at your house.  It's not perfect but it's better than nothing.  My kids aren't Whole30 with me, but I do not feed them processed sugar at my house.  They know they will get it at dad's house, but we just make it a joke (they are almost ten so old enough to joke about stuff).  Pretending agony about no sugar, etc.  :lol:

Ditto what everyone else said.  You can't control what happens when she isn't with you.  You can make sure she has lots of healthy choices at your house and encourage her to make good choices at her fathers house.  It's not perfect, but I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a "perfect" parent out there!  We all do the best we can with what we have.  Good luck!

Archived