July 15th Start Date: support and accountability a must

CarrieTS

Honestly, you can't blame the program for how you're feeling if you aren't actually doing it. Not eating how they recommend is going to play a huge factor - if you aren't eating 3 meals a day, plus pre/postWO meals then of course your energy, stamina and strength is going to suffer.

You aren't going to see the benefits from not doing it properly....

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone! I'm really sore and tired today - am hoping the workout I did this morning will help with the soreness but wow, haven't been this sore in a long time!

ZInnia - that's fantastic news about your blood sugar! I hope that it continues to improve.

Still can't believe how much more energy I have - especially in the evenings. I used to get home from work and it was all I could do to get through the evening so I could go to bed. Now - it's so different, I'm having fun with my family at night and we are all enjoying it!!

Have a great one!

Michelle

Good morning everyone! Day 18 is here!

Yesterday was a really good day in terms of food. I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of things and I might just be eating enough.

Breakfast was probably my least successful meal, but it was okay. I had 2 hard boiled eggs and some Nutiva Coconut Manna (man, that stuff is good!) and a banana - this was on my way to work at about 6:45am. It held me until lunch time, which was at about noon. I was hungry, but not dying when lunch rolled around. I ate a bowl of the chicken enchilada stew from the other night and a big bowl of steamed broccoli and zucchini. I think I needed more fat but I didn't have anything compliant to go to. Lunch was perfectly delicious though, and I was satisfied until dinner. Dinner was a turkey burger (olive oil added into the raw meat to keep it moist and add some fat) on lettuce with a green chile and tomatoes, a side of diced watermelon and peach and ONE handful of almonds.

I got up early and ran today and posted my best time yet for 3 miles. Yay!

I wish I could say that I woke up one morning with all my little aches and pains gone, feeling like a new person, but it's not like that. The changes are happening, they are just more subtle. I'm really fine with that as long as there are changes. Who knows, maybe I'll still have my lightning bolt moment. :)

Zinnia, great news about your blood sugar. I also hope that continues to improve. :)

Mydisciprin, I'm glad you've decided to continue. Hopefully the food budget will get sorted out.

Jacmic...did you do a crazy workout that left you so sore? How awesome that you are able to enjoy the evenings with your family! That's awesome!

Jacmic...did you do a crazy workout that left you so sore? How awesome that you are able to enjoy the evenings with your family! That's awesome!

Awesome on your record breaking 3 miler!!! I am week 2 into a CrossFit 101 class. Yesterday, the WOD was knees to elbows (hanging from a bar) and then push presses - prescribed weight was 65pounds. We did it in a ladder workout so 10 of each, then 9, then 8 all the way down to 1. I'm stubborn and so wanted to do the prescribed weight (you could do less). I've never push pressed 65 pounds and it was HARD but I did it!  I hurt from my waist to my shoulders and my core hurts from the knee to elbow thing. :-)

97  blood sugar this morning. Slowly moviong down. BUt moving down!! I am excited. I also have lost 2 inches in my waist .I paddle boarded for three hours this afternoon. Mostly just a relaxing pace.Amazing stress reliever. yesterday I biked for an hour and a half. THe day before I kayaked for two hours. Where ever I can fit it in. I lift weights three days a week, but if I can get out for something that looks like play, I'll choose that over the gym. There will be plenty of rainy days.

Mydisciprin, you're a good sport. It is difficult to be fully compliant on a tight budget. These last few days before payday I was really scraping the bottom of the barrel. And you hold up well under under criticism; you're very gracious. Planning in advance of your next influx of cash will make everything better. Think of some cheap comforting meals you can make up and have on standby. Mine is pumpkin soup with homemade broth and coconut milk, and baked sweet potatoes with fat and cinnamon. Eat a lot of soup. The gelatin in homemade bone births has a protein sparing effect, I've read, so you can get by with less.  If you put a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar in the water you use to make your stock, it will draw minerals from the bones and into the broth. Best wishes.

Zinnia, I'm glad your blood sugar has lowered :)

Islandgrrl, thanks for the chix enchilada recipe.

Guest Annie B

I have been all about the broth this last month! I made a personal decision to try and have about 12-16 oz everyday... which has turned into 5-6 days a week. I'm alternating chicken and beef stocks. I love it! My girlfriend who was diagnosed with hashimotos recently went of a diet prescribed by her doctor (who is from sweden I think) that included 24 oz of broth a day! It was also an elimination diet (more strict than w30, no coffee, no eggs, no nightshades in addition to the whole30 no-nos, for a period of time). I was inspired by that, to include more broth into my whole30. SOOOO healing. 

Day 19 over here, hope you all are doing well!

Natalie M, I wondered why vinegar was used in making bone broth! I'm definitely going to consume more. So far, I've only made chicken bone broth and have been using it for cooking, but I just got 2 large bags of beef soup bones and will make some more tonight.

Anyone have any advice about eating out? I've only eaten out twice since I began the Whole30...once in a wonderful place that uses grass-fed beef and discloses all ingredients. However, I went to a Mongolian grill type of restaurant thinking it would be fine. I ate a variety of veggies with some chicken and pork, but added sesame oil and some ginger sauce. The next day I had a stomach ache all day similar to when I've eaten gluten (been gluten-free for almost a year so I'm not restarting as I don't plan to ever reintroduce it into my diet). Maybe something in the ginger sauce? It was clear liquid with a consistency of water. I know to ask now, but are there particularly good restaurants or types of restaurants that are appropriate?

Natalie, nothing was marinated and I avoided all brown sauces/oils. Msg may indeed be the culprit. In the past it has given me headaches and I try to avoid it. Also, the food at this restaurant wasn't exactly high quality so maybe all this clean eating has ruined me for cheap eats ;)

Blood sugar 85 this morning... my muffin top is deffinately leaving the building!! 

My mother noticed...I was there a week ago. She could not believe the difference in a week. I am really happy. I plan to be this way FOR EVER..

I had another  horrific headache this morning and got rid of it with Coffee...not able to give it up yet.  I was up at 4:30 am with it. ugg,,,maybe toxins are also leaving the building.

Kellis , Chapotles grill is pretty good. Hardies has a low carb burger wrapped in lettuce and then paper, no bun. Jimmy Johns has a lettuce wrap called an Unwich. I get the hunters club unwich , cause the roast beef has less additives than the turkey or chicken.  If we are in a bind, out of town and run out of food we took in the car... I will stop. It is almost better to just stop at the store and bring something home to cook and a lot cheaper, if we are close to home.

Day 21.

I had a slip up night before last. The reasons don't matter, but once I realized my mistake I decided that I was going to enjoy my meal and start fresh in the morning. My violations: soy sauce and sushi rice.

So technically I'm on day 2 again. But I'm going to stick it out here on Day 21 and just extend my time.

I did have minor side effects...I got a little wheezy. But no gut problems and the respiratory symptoms were gone by morning.

Things have been going just fine since. I have learned that I can't eat out until I'm done with this.

I just had my first non-home meal. I'm just assuming the hamburger patty was kosher, everything else I ate was fruit or raw vegetables. I've been (mostly) paleo for a couple years now, and before that I was (mostly) WAP compliant, so I thought I ate pretty well. However, this exercise has really opened my eyes to all the pure junk I was eating and how it was making me feel. I never bought, cooked or ate junk at home, so I figured it would be okay to have when I was at church or a family gathering, but apparently those frequent indiscretions were affecting my health. When this is over, I hope I can be honest with myself about whether I'm making deliberate choices choices when I treat myself. I don't know what I want the rest of my life eating plan to look like, but I hope can strike a balance between health and happiness, vigilance and obsession.

Kudos, islandgrrl, for keeping on. You got some definite feedback  from your experience,and that's invaluable. And, btw, when I was talking about pure junk, I was thinking of cheetos and grocery store birthday cake, not your sushi rice and soy sauce...

Natalie, thanks for the encouragement.

I've discovered that eating this way is not difficult at all at home and in situations where I can bring my own food, like at work. But going out was so stressful. I tried so hard to stay compliant, and started off well. Then I really and truly accidentally ate rice. Did it without even thinking. I was kind of horrified when I realized it, too. But I decided that heaping more stress on my own head was not smart, so I enjoyed the rest of my meal without worrying about it. I didn't gorge myself on rice and soy sauce, but I ate a little of each.

Yesterday was fine, food-wise, as has been today. I have the above mentioned enchilada chicken stew cooking, I mixed up a batch of chicken/turkey sausage to make stuffed zucchini on Tuesday night, and tonight I made braised chicken thighs with tomatoes and onions. The rest of the family had it with rice pilaf. I had the chicken and veggies.

I have to work tomorrow, then I'm off (furlough day) Tuesday. I have more food research - as in recipes - to do. Craving a good curry, Indian style.

I have two more weeks of holiday left - and this Whole30 is going quite well. I feel so good and my allergies and skin irrotations are gone, so I've decided to continue this diet. I don't know if I will sometimes enjoy a class of wine or some cheese, but that should be a special occation if I do. I just love the way I feel.

The next big challenge is going to be when I start my job after holiday. I really must think about making meal plans then, and save time in cooking whenever possible. My family is not very supportive, most times they demand cooking different meals for them. Double work!

Day 22. 3.75 miles this morning and the first half was a struggle. The second half was okay.

I don't know what's going on with me today. I'm bloated ( as in my belly is full o'gas ) and sluggish and my Achilles tendons hurt again. I've been 100% compliant since my slip the other night. It seems clear to me that either soy or rice is disagreeing with me...three days later. Is that possible?

I ate chicken enchilada stew and a pile of broccoli for lunch, and that's a possibility, too. Broccoli? Ai yi yi! I'm concerned about tomatoes, too. I ate some succulent little grape tomatoes while my omelet was cooking this morning and my mouth felt funny...a little itchy. And of course my stew was loaded with tomatoes and peppers. Say it ain't so!!!!

How do I fix my guts?

I'm having the same issue, only I'm pretty sure my problem is with eggs. I stopped eating them for four days, then reintroduced them, and it wasn't until the second or third day that I saw symptoms. I've decided to cut them out for six months and try again. It is discouraging to to have to keep paring down my diet, but I'm looking at the next six months or more as a healing time. I really do feel better the cleaner I eat, and after the initial transition, it's really not that hard to NOT eat certain things. As long as I don't leave the house, har, har.

I think it's possible the rice/soy could be effecting you....but issues with broccoli are probable, and you could have issues with nightshades! Have you noticed any reactions to those vegies before?

I've never had an issue eating nightshades before...or broccoli. :( I'd hate to not be able to eat those things...they are staples in my house.

Natalie....I do feel better the cleaner I eat, too. But wow....paring my diet down to....what? And for how long? I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the thought of cutting out veggies.

My guts are still wrong this morning, and all I've had is water. Is it time for probiotics? Enzymes? Are there instructions for that somewhere?

I don't think probiotics ever hurt. Your gut may settle down, it could totally be the aftermath from the soy, even after a few days. I think del experimentation is the way to go, unless the situation is critical. I recommend Diane Sanfilippo's book, Practical Paleo. She outlines a simple gut healing protocol, and gives you 30 day meal plans.

Observations from today...

I started feeling better after breakfast, which was a 3-egg omelet with 1/2 avocado on the inside and salsa on top. Yum.

Lunch was late, but I was fine with it...I made stuffed zucchini for dinner tonight; lunch was the stuffing that wouldn't fit in the squash. It consisted of well seasoned ground turkey, garlic, onion, a whole bunch of Swiss chard chopped up and chopped zucchini that I scooped out to make room for the stuffing. Dinner was a piece of stuffed zuke, a few cherries and a peach..........and now I have bubble guts.

Maybe it's the fruit?

Archived