July 15th Start Date: support and accountability a must

CarrieTS

Oh boy. There's a lot of those high FODMAP things that are staples in my diet. Obviously I need to rethink things.

And on top of it all, I may have a partially ruptured Achilles tendon. Excuse me for saying this, but, FML right  now.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So....breakfast today: eggs and kale. Delish. I could eat that every day. Soooooo much better than eggs and spinach.

Lunch: chicken enchilada taco salad. Lettuce topped with some of that yummy chicken enchilada stew, tomatoes and avocado. Again yum.

Dinner: tomato and salsa omelet with some nutritional yeast, cooked in plenty of ghee.

So far, no bubble guts today. Nothing else to eat for me tonight. I'm not taking any chances.

I'm feeling like my diet is getting pretty narrow.

Bizarre dreams last night about eating mashed potatoes and gravy....heaps of it. So real that I woke up unsure about whether it was a dream.

Okay, as for the Achilles...not great news, but maybe not terrible news: probably just a bad case of tendinitis. I'm in a rigid boot (because I flat out refused a cast) for two weeks to see what happens. The bad part is that I can't run, I can't walk for exercise and I need some options for cardio. Swimming is out...there's no place for me to swim on base.

What day is today, anyway?

So....breakfast today: eggs and kale. Delish. I could eat that every day. Soooooo much better than eggs and spinach.

Lunch: chicken enchilada taco salad. Lettuce topped with some of that yummy chicken enchilada stew, tomatoes and avocado. Again yum.

Dinner: tomato and salsa omelet with some nutritional yeast, cooked in plenty of ghee.

So far, no bubble guts today. Nothing else to eat for me tonight. I'm not taking any chances.

I'm feeling like my diet is getting pretty narrow.

Bizarre dreams last night about eating mashed potatoes and gravy....heaps of it. So real that I woke up unsure about whether it was a dream.

Okay, as for the Achilles...not great news, but maybe not terrible news: probably just a bad case of tendinitis. I'm in a rigid boot (because I flat out refused a cast) for two weeks to see what happens. The bad part is that I can't run, I can't walk for exercise and I need some options for cardio. Swimming is out...there's no place for me to swim on base.

What day is today, anyway?

could you not go and lift some weights? you can do everything except legs!

Hi all! Crazy week - got selected for jury duty on Monday. I was dreading it but it ended up being interesting and I feel like I learned a good bit. It was a tragic case and totally drained me emotionally though. No issues with food - still following the plan. My clothes continue to fit better and I do feel like my body is changing. Again, I stepped on the scale b/c I have issues and am working on it (at least I don't do it every day) and was a little discouraged to see that I haven't lost a pound since the end of week one. BUT - as I said, my clothes are loser, my energy levels are higher, my skin looks better and over all, I feel a TON better than I did almost 4 weeks ago.

When reading the material, saw that buying unrefined coconut oil was better than refined - we had already bought refined so I finished that jar and purchased a large jar of unrefined about 2 weeks ago. I can't believe how much different it taste - it makes the flavor of the food come alive, so yummy! I also make cauliflower rice the other day and loved how much my husband and littlest girl loved it. Such an easy thing to make too.

Tummy is getting more use to the meat - have now added chicken, turkey and some pork (pork loins are ok, bacon/bacon fat are not for my tummy).

Husband and I did another 50 mile ride this past Sunday and we were 1 mile/hour faster than the last one and felt better. We go again this Saturday - love being able to do that with him.

Can't believe we are on the homestretch of this. I'm having those little bits of freak outs about transitioning back and honestly, have no desire to add anything huge back in to my diet. I miss hummus, a lot, and may have a little of that sometime soon. 

Sounds like lots of us are discovering what we can and can't have. I love eggs/kale/tomato cooked in some coconut oil for breakfast. So yum!

Have a great one!

Natalie, I have not even read about what to do after whole30... I have no idea... :unsure: What are you going to introduce to your diet first?

I guess it is time to start reading about it. My ISWF book is only ebook, and I have been reading it with my iphone; not so nice! That may explain why I don't read so much if I don't have to.

I have enjoyed so much my own garden: I have apples, rasberries, spinach, beets, carrots, salad leafs, herbs and tomatoes. It is so nice to pick fresh food from your own garden. In addition, I really love to go picking wild berries in the forest. Blueberries are the best at the moment... Next season is good for mushrooms. I'm looking forward to that! :)

Sakrima, I'm pretty envious of your garden and foraging space; all I've got in my garden is one or two pods of okra, and some really small eggplants! ISWF suggests you introduce one food or group of foods every four days (eat dairy on day one, gluten grains day four, etc). That way you can observe for symptoms for three days before moving on. I am going to try spelt which has been cultured for 24 hours to see  if I can tolerate it, then I'll try cultured dairy, then cultured non-gluten grains, and so on. The reason I'm being so methodical about it is that I want to be able to use any cheap source of nutrition I can. Culturing grains and dairy increases their nutritional value, and improves their digestibility, so if I can't digest cultured dairy and grains, I'll know not to bother with uncultured, but if I can digest them, I will, dang it!

Btw, for those of you struggling with digestive issues, I found this podcast very helpful.

http://balancedbites.com/2011/10/balanced-bites-podcast-episode-8.html

Day 26!

Food is still good. I accidentally left my breakfast at home this morning. The cafeteria had hard boiled egs, so I bought four of them. They had nothing else that I could eat. I ate three eggs.

Lunch was a salad topped with chicken enchilada stew.

Dinner was cod cooked in ghee with a side of broccoli, zucchini and sweet potato, some blueberries and cantaloupe.

A very strange thing happened today and I don't understand it. So I have this over the top tendonitis in my left Achilles tendon ( might be a partiall rupture) and mild tendonitis in the right Achilles. I'm wearing an immobilizer boot on the left, nothing on the right. About halfway through the day, I realized that all my pain was gone. All of it. Both sides. I haven't taken any pain meds; I didn't know if Tylenol is compliant or not. And it is still gone.

I don't know what I did that's different. Don't get me wrong.....I'm beyond thrilled to not be in pain. I'd just like to know why.

Natalie, I've had stiffness and joint pain for many months. I started running again in June and quickly developed patellar tendonitis and soreness in my Achilles tendons. I've been a runner most of my adult life and never had issues with anything hurting. But I've known for a while that I have had some kind of inflammatory process going on (hence the W30). I cut back the running, switched to walking until the tendonitis subsided and I've been running without pain for the last couple of weeks. Since the soy/rice incident, I've been 100% compliant and without the nagging pain in my joints. I actually think this is related to an antibiotic I took to stave off a lung infection recently (I have cystic fibrosis). One of the side effects (that I was unaware of) is Achilles tendon rupture or tendonitis. Needless to say, I'm not taking that med again. Ever.

On appositive note, after sleeping on it (literally) I woke with much less pain today. The right side is a little stiff, but pretty much without pain. The left is very stiff, the pain is less, but damage is obvious today: swelling and discoloration. Definitely injured.

So maybe the soy/rice incident played a minor part - it certainly gave me respiratory symptoms.

Hey everyone! Day 28! Wow. You know, this is the first time I've done something like this and have no desire to add anything back. My husband and I have done it together and he made a comment last night about eating some of the girls snacks we have. They aren't tempting me at all. For the first time, in a long time, I'm completely satisfied when I eat, have no cravings and feel amazing. I can't believe I've waited so long to try this, mostly b/c I was scared of meat. Last night, I had my first grass fed burger. OMG was it yummy! I topped it with some wholly guacamole, homemade local salsa, lettuce and tomato. It was marvelous. I guess the only thing I really miss is my husband/friends and I having a beer or 6 on Saturday night.

This morning, I made this: http://paleospirit.com/2013/paleo-baked-eggs-prosciutto-portobello-mushroom-caps/ Wow, delish! A little tricky keeping the eggs in the caps but for the most part, it worked.

Islandgrrl..that is incredible about your pain being gone. I was hoping that mine would do the same...I have Periformis Syndrome and when it flares up, it's really painful but mostly it is a dull pain. The flare ups haven't happend in a while but the dull pain is still there. It's more annoying than anything else.

I don't see me really re-introducing anything after I'm done. My daughter wants us to bake together and my friend shared a somewhat paleo friendly chocolate chip cookie recipe with me - at least it's not as bad as the chocolate chip cookies I usually make :-). My husband is headed out of town next weekend so this will be a fun thing for the 3 of us to do together.  Plus - she is doing fractions at school and I thought that baking, will all of those measurements, would be a good/fun way to incorporate that. She is 7 and has been cooking with me since she was 2. I think, when we do it, I'll let her do almost all of the work this time.

Have a good one!

So I had a clothes breakthrough last night. I again, ordered some smaller sizes (getting some sundresses on clearance b/c we are going to Jamaica in October) and they fit!!! So while I was trying on, decided to get out a pair of shorts that I could not even button a month ago. Not only did they button, they were a little loose, just like I like them so I, of course, wore them yesterday.  I can feel my confidence level starting to rise with this and it makes me so happy!!!

Last 2 days - what are your plans for reintroduction? 

Woohoo! Congrats on your clothes breakthrough, jacmic! That's awesome! I had one of my own the other day. I bought a few new scrub tops this past weekend. The last time I bought scrub tops, I was flirting with size XL, but ended up buying size large. On Saturday I bought size medium!

I made Curried Chicken Waldorf Salad last night, using homemade mayo (I can't remember where I found the recipe, but I will posit it when I get home if anyone wants it). I'm  having it for breakfast this morning, and wow, is it good! I have a Salad Nicoise for lunch today.

I have no plans to reintroduce yet. After the soy/rice incident, I'm extending three weeks, so I figured I might as well just dive into another entire Whole 30. That should give me plenty of time to figure out what's most important to me in terms of reintroduction.

I had weird food dreams again last night, all of which involved pasta. Mostly ravioli. Out of a can. What's up with that? I don't believe I have ever in my entire life eaten ravioli that came out of a can. It sounds positively disgustng. But in my dream I was happily chowing it down. :blink:

So, today is Day 29!  Last night, I dreamed there was a horrible rainstorm that flooded my entire neighborhood, closing roads, and making it impossible to get anywhere.  I couldn't get home to get any food.  Someone had ordered a pepperoni pizza from PIzza Hut (I haven't eaten at Pizza Hut in probably 10 years!).  I ate one slice, and then came to the horrible realization that it was Day 29 and I was going to have to start all over again because I messed up.  Talk about a nightmare (not about having to eat yummy Whole 30 food, but just the idea that I "ruined" it all)!

Thankfully, it was just a dream!  I am still going strong and can't wait to finish out my 30 days tomorrow.  So far, it hasn't been that bad.  I ate pretty well before the Whole 30, so the transition was not too painful.  There are only a couple of things with which I have struggled: meal planning, and getting enough sleep.

I can't tell you how many nights I scramble to make something to eat, or I make up some crazy "meal" out of bits and pieces in my fridge (couple of hard-boiled eggs here, some smoked salmon there, an avocado, some baby carrots, etc.) because I didn't plan well.  I think it will take me at least another Whole 30 or two to get that down.

Regarding sleep, I *never* get enough.  And Whole 30 or not, that's still the case.  Work has been crazy lately and not sending me things until late in the evening, so then I stay up all night to get them done.  I also seem to be a self-destructive procrastinator in other ways.  I will wait to work on other things, even if they come in early, until it's at least 9 or 10 and night, which then keeps me up until 2 or 3 in the morning, at least.  I don't know why I do it - I always say I'm not going to, or I try to start earlier but get distracted.  Again, this seems to always be in my nature.  I'm always a night owl and want to be up at night.  No matter how I force myself to go to bed early, I rarely make it happen.  I'm still working at it, though.  Hopefully I'll get it someday!

Otherwise, I don't have too much to report until tomorrow.  I've faithfully stayed away from my scale/measuring the entire time.  So, it will be interesting to see my results.  I can tell my clothes fit a little differently, but nothing incredibly drastic.  Though, my exercise shorts were sort of falling down a little at boot camp the other night when I was pushing weight plates across the floor! :D

I think I will wait and measure on Wednesday (technically Day 31).  I will try to take my after photos on Wednesday morning (took the before photos in the morning on Day 1), and then my trainer is going to do my measurements on Wednesday night before kickboxing.

Good luck, everyone!  Stay strong - less than 2 days to go! :)

Day 29!

Breakfast was a bowl of curried chicken Waldorf salad.

Lunch: salad nicoise with tuna, 1 hard boiled egg, heirloom tomatoes, avocado, and a lemony dressing made by combining homemade mayo with lemon juice and a little salt and pepper. Oh, and kalamata olives.

Dinner: two sweet potato latkes topped with over-easy eggs, blueberries and grapes and a handful of raw almonds. The latkes and eggs were astoundingly good. Total do-over.

I'm feeling well, healthy. Plenty of energy. My Achilles tendon issues are not resolving so I'm seeing a doc on Friday. I wish I could say I were sleeping well, but that isn't happening for me yet. I'm up at least twice a night with hot flashes or just restlessness. No problems falling asleep, just staying that way. :(

I don't see me really re-introducing anything after I'm done. My daughter wants us to bake together and my friend shared a somewhat paleo friendly chocolate chip cookie recipe with me - at least it's not as bad as the chocolate chip cookies I usually make :-). My husband is headed out of town next weekend so this will be a fun thing for the 3 of us to do together.  Plus - she is doing fractions at school and I thought that baking, will all of those measurements, would be a good/fun way to incorporate that. She is 7 and has been cooking with me since she was 2. I think, when we do it, I'll let her do almost all of the work this time.

First of all, congrats to everyone who made it through these 30 days! I feel great. I will probably try reintroducing dairy only and will do another whole30 in the near future.

Second, thank you, jamic, for doing math with your daughter!! And it's real world math, too. That made my day. Yay math!

Archived