Anyone else starting July 22nd?

primalamy

Glad to see Day 1 was a success for most. Day 2 is looking good for me as well!!!
Tomorrow I am going on an 8 mile RT hike. My plan is to take hard boiled eggs, jerky, a nut and fruit trail mix, and some all natural fruit strips, tuna and homemade dill pickles.I also have some lara bars to take. Hoping all of that keeps me satisfied :-)

I am wondering...does anyone here suffer from arthritis?
I do...I am hoping this helps with the pain I've been feeling. 
My goal was to climb Mt Rainier next year...but I wont be able to in the shape I am in...meaning the pain from arthritis.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Folks - I am not done reading the book yet, but still started today.  Quesion maybe someone can answer for me:

- how important is the coffee after breakfast thing?  It is my first go to in the morning.  Do you  know why they recommend that?

Thanks!

jPaged: re the coffee:

“THE COFFEE CONNECTION

Our healthy eating plan can include a cup or two of coffee in the morning, with a few caveats. One, your coffee pot is not a cup. Two, if you need that cup of coffee first thing, it means that cortisol levels are not as healthy as they should be. Too much coffee is going to make that worse, so keep your intake down. Make sure to always drink your coffee before noon, so the caffeine doesn't interfere with sleep: do not underestimate caffeine's impact on this. And caffeine is a potent appetite suppressant, so if you're one of those people who just isn't hungry in the morning, here's your rule: You must eat Meal 1 before you get to enjoy your coffee. It's for your own good.â€

Excerpt From: Melissa Hartwig & Dallas Hartwig. “It Starts With Food.†Victory Belt Publishing Inc., 2012. iBooks.

This material may be protected by copyright.

So today was good, been fighting a headache again but not as bad as yesterday ans I think it is stress not w30 related.

Had steak and eggs for breakfast

Almonds and cashews as a snack (my berries were moldy) I know I over did it on these.

Supper was salmon and steamed broccoli.

JPaged: You definitely shouldn't be starving. The book encourages 3 meals a day. If you need a snack, it should include protein, fat and vegetables. If you are eating a good meal with enough of all three, the body should be able to go 4-5 hours between meals This is how your body learns to use protein and fat as fuel rather than relying on carbohydrates.

I agree with SharonNC....if you're hungry you probably need to add more fat to your meals.

What did you eat yesterday?

Happy Day 3, all! Anyone else feel hungover? Or exhausted? I do. I'd love to go back to bed and stay there. All normal according to:

http://whole9life.com/2012/06/the-whole30-timeline/

I'm not looking forward to the "kill all things" phase coming tomorrow.

I hope today goes well for everyone today emotionally and physically and in the kitchen. Hang in there; the yucky feeling will pass.

I'm trying the salmon cakes recipe from the book today. I made the mayo on Monday and loved it with tuna. I also made the steak rub (before I officially started) and loved it!

Hooray day 3. I feel great.  I took the morning off from working out and had a great night sleep.  Its all about sleep right, eat right and exercise-- so simple!

I am not sure about the coffee controversy.  During my first round, I never thought about when I drank my first cup-- and got awesome results.

Weekends and social events are the killers for me.  If we can build up some momentum and good habits this week, it can carry us through the weekend.

I am finding that around now - 9:30 I want to eat and feel hungry.  This is when I used to have my first snack of the day.   The last two days I had eggs and veggies.  This morning I had two eggs cooked in coconut oil and pumpkin/ sweet potato mash.  I had more carbs thinking that would help.  I would think that was enough to hold me over....do I need more fat than the eggs and oil?   I put a good 2T in the pan.

The email today for day 3 was right on point for me.  I am very much missing my usual foods - but I am not missing how they make me feel.  Going to bed last nigth my stomach was the flatest it has been at the end of the day in years...it was unbeleivable.  I must have looked at it 10 times before going to bed!

Today's plan:

two eggs cooked in coconut oil and pumpkin/ sweet potato mash

chicken with stewed tomatoes and mushrooms and green beans

tuna cakes with zucchini

Snowflower - I made salmon cakes last night, what a surprise!  I have made loads of cakes out of tuna but never salmon, I was quite scared of the canned salmon, but it was wonderful, my kids and husband also loved them.  I opened the can and saw SKIN and was freaked out, I peeled that away...then I felt BONES!  So I treid to get those out.  I read the label and there was a recipe there that said to get rid of the skin and bones ans you wish...not sure who would want to keep those in there!   It was worth it, the taste was not at all fishy like I was expecting.

I started Monday as well. No slip ups so far. I ate too many nuts yesterday. But I am not trying to lose weight just make healthier milk for my nursling! He is ALWAYS sick and it's time for a huge change for me, esp considering I also have type 1 diabetes and work full time. Wish me luck and lookig forward to taking this journey with you guys!

First meal out - met a friend for breakfast this morning and had an omlette with avocado and spinach - hold the bread and potatoes - black coffee.  Pretty easy.  Getting lunch ready to bring along for my work day is still the biggest challenge (but less daunting when I don't also have to bring dinner along...).  This morning I made nori rolls out of chicken, mayo, and sweet potato, with some steamed green beans and olives on the side.  Dinner plan is grilled salmon with grilled zuchini and onions.  I guess also some olives or avocado to add the fat.  Feeling good.  Also noticing the effort it takes to keep up with the planning, shopping, cooking.  Glad to have this community for support!

had a little slip up, hubby just told me he cooked the fish in butter and added a little bit of honey to the fish marinate :/

Did you punch him in the face? ;)  My husband did that few times when I went gluten free. He would make a batch of soup and afterwards say 'You can eat barely, right?'.

I have been having some stomach trouble and I am wondering it it's because of my new supplements. If it keeps up, I will cut them out for a few days to see if it gets better. I took Natural Calm for the first time last night and slept really well. It was nice.

I feel like I am being really boring with my food, since I am STILL eating the pork chops and stir fry that I made on Monday. But I am also only on day 3, and have plenty of time to whip up some more interesting meals.

Day 3 started off with a MAJOR headache, like the top of my head explode. Took some excedrin and drank some water and went back to bed for a bit and much better a couple hours later. Woke on Day 2 with a bit of a headache and it continued to build from there.

As far as eating - that is all good. Matter of fact I warmed up dinner last night (spag squash, tomato/veggie saute, and turkey breast) and wasn't even hungry so I saved it for today's lunch. Figured if my body says it doesn't need food I don't have to feed it "just because it's time for meal 3"

Really thought the physical issues of the first week were exagerated - surprised to find out they weren't for me and started so quilckly!

Here's to a great day and onward!

Jen : )

Happy Day 3! So far so good. I am already feeling better! Today is a holiday in Utah where I live so I hope it wont be too hard to stick to Whole30. 

I have a question though. I want to take Probiotics but dont have a lot of money to buy a really expensive brand. I picked up a brand called TruBiotics at the grocery store but Im not sure if it is Whole30 approved so I havent opened it yet. Does anyone know if it is? Thanks!

Add me to the list - I actuallys tarted on Sunday July 21st .  @Lisa3 I know what you mean the food preparation.  I am only on day 4 and feel like I spend too much time preparing and to be honest I am not sure I am getting the menu down right.  I know it is only day 4 for me but I think I am relying on the fruit too much.  I am not much of a veggie eater but I am trying to eat them.  I just don't know how to prepare them to be tasty.  I am thinking that if you find a good recipe lets share it!

TaylorTubbie - Veggies are great, but you do have to season them properly.  One of my fav ways to cook a lot of veggies is roasting.  I cut up several different vegetables (onion, eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, carrots, mushrooms, etc) and put them in a big pan, drizzle olive oil over them, season with salt, pepper, and other blends.....herbs de provance, italian seasons, etc.  Cook for about 45min uncovered at 350....delicious!   Add a protein and fat and you have a meal!  

Another realization, the last 2 days I have eaten more "real food" than I have in years.  Trying to lose weight I used to have a salad ever day for lunch and for dinner sometimes.  I would top it with a little cheese and a little meat if any, and some light dressing.  I am really enjoying the filling chicken and beef with vegetables with real fat in it!

Now...why I was not losing weight is because I have/ had a major sugar habit, I usually finish/ed off each meal with something sweet - fruit or a treat, brownie, candy etc.   I have not done this for almost three days now....it is empowering.  I saw some 90% dark chocolate at the grocery just now and throught, it is almost 100% I can have that...but I resisted.  I remembered the quote from the email today that you will beat yourself up if you give in just a little.   I want to do the WHOLE 30....not a Partial 30 :)

The email today for day 3 was right on point for me.  I am very much missing my usual foods - but I am not missing how they make me feel.  Going to bed last nigth my stomach was the flatest it has been at the end of the day in years...it was unbeleivable.  I must have looked at it 10 times before going to bed!

My stomach looked fabulously flat this morning! What a wonderful side effect!!

I love real food! My morning "hangover" is gone. I went to workout despite feeling tired and it energized me. My lunch was delicious. (It was the leftover ground beef, onion, garlic, jalapeño, red pepper, tomato concoction that I had for breakfast yesterday with guacamole on top of a sweet potato.

I had 2 poached eggs with olives and Brussels sprouts for breakfast. And plan on salmon cakes with spinach & arugula for dinner.

I LOVE roasted Brussels Sprouts! I buy 1 1/2 pounds and slice them in half. Then toss with 4 tsp olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast at 400 for 15 minutes. Stir. Roast for 10 more minutes. They taste great warmed up the next day too!

Archived